Apple Carplay Slow To Connect/Sometimes Not At All

Hi guys! So I just bought a used CX-5 2019 GT. Apple carplay seems to be acting up for me. During start up, plugging in my iPhone does nothing. If I unplug and re plug the phone in, it sometimes might connect to Apple Carplay, sometimes it does not. Sometimes it gives me the message "device application failed to load". Sometimes when I wait for 2-3 minutes after starting the car, plugging in works instantly. But for sure when plugging in at the start up, it will not work.

I've tried 2 different apple oem lightning cables, an Amazon certified cable. I have tried my girlfriend's iPhone. I have already updated to the most recent firmware.
I know its not our phones because they work fine in her Honda Civic's carplay.

Is this normal? If not, what can I do to fix it? I've called all my local Mazda dealerships and none of the service managers know where to go from here. Should I ask them to replace the usb ports? Would this be covered under the basic 3 year warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Take video of said issue with both phones and multiple cables, present to service advisor. The Carplay/AA module is replaceable and covered under warranty.

Take video of said issue with both phones and multiple cables, present to service advisor. The Carplay/AA module is replaceable and covered under warranty.
My 2019 cx3 seems have similar issue, sometimes iphone connected and charging but carplay not showing up need to unplug and re-plug in several times. Tried different iphone and cables.
I did install from mazda dealer after I got the car (discounted from Mazda for 2019 cx3 at 250$), does that also included in my warranty?

My 2019 cx3 seems have similar issue, sometimes iphone connected and charging but carplay not showing up need to unplug and re-plug in several times. Tried different iphone and cables.
I did install from mazda dealer after I got the car (discounted from Mazda for 2019 cx3 at 250$), does that also included in my warranty?
Should still be under warranty. I forgot to post an update but I went in to my dealership and they replaced my usb outlets and the CarPlay works perfectly now.

Should still be under warranty. I forgot to post an update but I went in to my dealership and they replaced my usb outlets and the CarPlay works perfectly now.
Is it still working after they changed the outlets

I’m having the exact same issue

I don't have the cx3 anymore, but dealer replaced the retrofit and it's working again after. So it was a bad unit I guess.

Back