Apple Car Play

Panther

Zoomer not a Boomer
Contributor
:
2016 MAZDA CX-5 GT AWD with TECH PKG / i-ActivSense
Hi All,

I was notified by Mazda that Mobile Start was going to be discontinued and they were offering me the Apple Car Play installed for free. I'm somewhat Older ;-) and don't use my Phone while Driving and
have been OK with the Mazda GPS System, I'm saying that as I know that supposedly Apple Maps really works
good with Car Play.

So, My question is, if you didn't have it would you get it installed ? I've read a lot of good things and read some bad issues
as well to connectivity and problems like that. My Wife and I do some long road trips but never used Apple Maps, we do use google sometimes on our Phones.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts and info, I have till Sept but I kind of like to plan things out. Also, I've never
had my Car to the Dealers and not real fond of taking it in, just the old adage if it "ain't broke, don't fix it" Mentality I guess.

Thanks and Take Care, Be Safe,

CK

Personally, if I planned to keep the car for the forseeable future, I wouldn't bother having it installed. Instead, I would try to negotiate with the dealer to get something of equal or lesser value, like cargo mats, floor mats, roof rails, things of that nature. If that isn't possible, I'd ask them to just give you the parts for free, then try to sell them on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, Kijiji, or eBay. You can also list the kit on our forum marketplace for free, you'd just need to follow a few Marketplace listing rules.

If I planned to eventually upgrade or change vehicles in the next few years, I'd get the kit installed. Even if you don't end up using it, it will make the car a little easier to sell.

Personally, if I planned to keep the car for the forseeable future, I wouldn't bother having it installed. Instead, I would try to negotiate with the dealer to get something of equal or lesser value, like cargo mats, floor mats, roof rails, things of that nature. If that isn't possible, I'd ask them to just give you the parts for free, then try to sell them on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, Kijiji, or eBay. You can also list the kit on our forum marketplace for free, you'd just need to follow a few Marketplace listing rules.

If I planned to eventually upgrade or change vehicles in the next few years, I'd get the kit installed. Even if you don't end up using it, it will make the car a little easier to sell.
Thanks Very Much, Appreciate the ideas, I just wished they weren't discontinuing the MMS , I have to say it's worked really well and I'm one of those that can't remember if I locked the car a lot, so it's nice to be able to do that from anywhere.

Take Care, Be Safe,
CK

I use WAZE with CarPlay every day. I find it head and shoulders better than the Mazda Nav system. As with anything else, it's a matter of personal opinion and taste..........

I use WAZE with CarPlay every day. I find it head and shoulders better than the Mazda Nav system. As with anything else, it's a matter of personal opinion and taste..........
Thanks Very Much, I'm afraid that's one of those being a dino doesn't help. I've never used WAZE, I think I had it on my IPhone years ago, but for some reason it didn't do well for me. BUT I also still use my Desktop 90% of the time for things. What I'd really love to find or learn is to be able to
take a Road Trip Map that I created on Google Maps, with "MY" route and have it guide me that
way on the Car Software if that makes sense.

Thanks for the info, I might need to revisit WAZE, have you had any issues with the CarPlay ? I don't drive that much but when we do it's usually long road trips so I'm concerned about issues while out on the Road. I know that sounds like a lot of drama , but I'm a worrier;-)

Take Care, Be Safe,
CK

Get the Car Play. Learn a new thing. You will eventually find it invaluable. Y'know that little VOICE ACTIVATION button on the steering wheel? Imagine being able to just click that and say "Navigate Home" and have it take you there. Flawlessly. Every time. It's not about "using your phone" while driving. It's about using the tools you have available to you while NOT touching your phone.
"Navigate to the nearest *anything*" works too. Press button "Send text to wife -I'm running late-" Without touching your phone. It's really that easy.

Alternatively ask the dealer to have a 4rd party remote start installed. ALL the local dealers in my area offer this service.

Get the Car Play. Learn a new thing. You will eventually find it invaluable. Y'know that little VOICE ACTIVATION button on the steering wheel? Imagine being able to just click that and say "Navigate Home" and have it take you there. Flawlessly. Every time. It's not about "using your phone" while driving. It's about using the tools you have available to you while NOT touching your phone.
"Navigate to the nearest *anything*" works too. Press button "Send text to wife -I'm running late-" Without touching your phone. It's really that easy.

Alternatively ask the dealer to have a 4rd party remote start installed. ALL the local dealers in my area offer this service.

Hi,

LOL well, I think that's the thing I needed a little butt kick !!! I really do love Technology and
this is /was my Retirement Gift to myself so I've always babied it and been concerned for things
that caused problems. We have a new Dealership here in our Little Town so that will make things
a little easier. So, what system or app are you using to do the remote thing with , and is that something that they have to rewire / install over thing ?

That was a great idea about the 3-4th party Remote Start/ lock feature.
Thanks, I needed that ;-)
Take Care, Be Safe,
CK

4rd was a typo. LOL
If your dealer offers this service, and like I said all my local dealers do.... and before you say "Ok well that means nothing, what do you have? 2 dealers?" 7! 7 damn dealers in less then 65 miles! haha I know most of them did offer this. They partner with a local shop so whatever brand that local shop likes to use is what you'll get. So no real point is telling you brands we like. Mine's an Advent: https://www.adventproducts.com/pursuit/ There's no phone app with mine.
'In my day, we had a separate fob, see? We didn't have an app! And we liked it!'
:D

4rd was a typo. LOL
If your dealer offers this service, and like I said all my local dealers do.... and before you say "Ok well that means nothing, what do you have? 2 dealers?" 7! 7 damn dealers in less then 65 miles! haha I know most of them did offer this. They partner with a local shop so whatever brand that local shop likes to use is what you'll get. So no real point is telling you brands we like. Mine's an Advent: https://www.adventproducts.com/pursuit/ There's no phone app with mine.
'In my day, we had a separate fob, see? We didn't have an app! And we liked it!'
:D
I love the "In My Day" had to laugh as in My Day, seems like we had to push them off
more than using a key !!!
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it, I need to call the Service Dept and just see
what they have to say. Then go from there !!!

Take Care, Be Safe,
CK

Without going too far off-topic, if you like the Mobile Start option, you may want to look into DroneMobile. This is their subscription page, where you can see which options are included in the different subscription tiers. You can try a free subscription for 30 days, then if you choose to continue your subscription, you can choose to pay monthly, or pre-pay for a 1, 2, 3, or 5 year subscription. You would first need to buy the hardware and get it installed. Then, as long as you remain subscribed, you'll have Mobile Start available.

Without going too far off-topic, if you like the Mobile Start option, you may want to look into DroneMobile. This is their subscription page, where you can see which options are included in the different subscription tiers. You can try a free subscription for 30 days, then if you choose to continue your subscription, you can choose to pay monthly, or pre-pay for a 1, 2, 3, or 5 year subscription. You would first need to buy the hardware and get it installed. Then, as long as you remain subscribed, you'll have Mobile Start available.
Thank You, I'll look into that I wasn't familiar with how it worked. I have to say, I was always a little miffed that I had an annual fee with the MMS after spending all money when I'd ordered the car.

Take Care, Be Safe,
CK

or at least until 4g is turned off :)

You could also look at 2 way RF starters, range is up to 6000 feet ..

or at least until 4g is turned off :)

You could also look at 2 way RF starters, range is up to 6000 feet ..
Thanks, the message had said doing away with 3G, I'll check into that !!!

Take Care, Be safe,
CK

Yeah it’s 3g for now, and who knows when it will be 4g’s turn ...
The replacement systems work on 4g, with 3g ones being shut off.

I guess the phone app gives you extra features, but the RF starter
can just as easy start the car from good distance with no fees,
and it will always work, for ever :)

Yeah it’s 3g for now, and who knows when it will be 4g’s turn ...
The replacement systems work on 4g, with 3g ones being shut off.

I guess the phone app gives you extra features, but the RF starter
can just as easy start the car from good distance with no fees,
and it will always work, for ever :)
Thanks !!! I agree, I was always a little upset each time I had to pay the
"subscription" fee for those 4 yrs then to get dumped.
Appreciate the Help and Suggestions !!!
Take Care, Be Safe,
CK

I get paying a subscription sucks. But that does work over cellular. Someone has to pay Verizon or TMobile for that tiny bit o bandwidth.
I personally wouldn't pay for it even though I don't think $180 for the Drone Mobile 5 year base package is pricey. I don't work in a high rise downtown anymore which is about the only time I can think of when I would be out of range of my fob. I did get a long range one and it's rarely failed me.

I get paying a subscription sucks. But that does work over cellular. Someone has to pay Verizon or TMobile for that tiny bit o bandwidth.
I personally wouldn't pay for it even though I don't think $180 for the Drone Mobile 5 year base package is pricey. I don't work in a high rise downtown anymore which is about the only time I can think of when I would be out of range of my fob. I did get a long range one and it's rarely failed me.
Hi,

You're right that's not bad pricing, I was paying about 65 a year for the MMS. I didn't really mind It that much as when you needed it , it was there, but it was just a little bit of a thump on the snout each year after paying top dollar for the GT AWD and MMS to be charged an annual fee.
Thanks for the info, sounds like the Drone Mobile works great which is what I'm looking for
the reliability

Take Care, Be Safe,
CK

Let's not forget that in some areas 3g/4g is not immune to "no service",
especially underground garages although most now have cell repeaters :)

6000 ft range should be enough for most, with cell phone service you also
have to expect a data provider breach that could potentially stop/start your
your car by an unauthorized person.

I think the fees should be paid by the manufacturer for 10 years,
I bet the real cost for the cell access with so little data is about $5 a year.

But you're also paying the 3rd party that you're using for the starter service,
not unlike paying for ink cartridges 20x what they're actually cost to make :)

6000 ft range should be enough for most, with cell phone service you also
have to expect a data provider breach that could potentially stop/start your
your car by an unauthorized person.

I think the fees should be paid by the manufacturer for 10 years,
I bet the real cost for the cell access with so little data is about $5 a year.

But you're also paying the 3rd party that you're using for the starter service,
not unlike paying for ink cartridges 20x what they're actually cost to make :)

I would like to see some credible sources for the claims you're making.

I would love to see some credible sources for the claims you're making.

$14 for "lifetime" of data, however mind you this company still has to make money,
so you know the networks charge them much less. There's very little data used
between your car if it's just used for remote starting ... of course these companies
probably send much more data that's not needed that simply spies on your car ...

Remote starting could even be achieved with encrypted text messages, very little data.

Technically that particular company needs a $14 refill every year, but you get the idea :)

Back