Anyone tried to hardwire their dashcam? or any electrical experts?

Anyone here tried to hardwire their dashcam? or any electrical experts?

I have been hardwired the dashcam to my inside fuse box for a year, but problems came up and now I am rethinking the way I do the hardwiring.

How I hardwire: wire pass through the driver side A pillar and goes down to the fuse box, there I use a fuse slot that is not assigned but powered all the time, and have the ground wire touch the screw as shown near the fuse box.

Hardwire kit I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072J3L2JN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Problems:
  1. Since the first day I hardwired, the distance between my remote and my car to lock/unlock has been shortened to about 1/3
  2. My battery cannot survive more than 3 days with the whole set up attached (maybe reasonable but shouldn't be as the hardwire kit has a shut off function when the voltage is low)
  3. My battery cannot survive more than 3 days with the dash cam not connected (but the hardwiring setup is still there, just not connected to the cam)

Battery should not be a problem as that is a newly replaced one by the dealership

Now I just uninstalled all the stuff and hope the car will go back to normal, but would say having a dashcam hardwired is what I really want.

Also attached some operating/sitting voltages if that helps.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_111317.jpg
    IMG_20200519_111317.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 273
  • Screenshot_20200519-093105.jpg
    Screenshot_20200519-093105.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 279
  • InkedIMG_20200519_111303_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_20200519_111303_LI.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 278
  • InkedScreenshot_20200518-194855_LI.jpg
    InkedScreenshot_20200518-194855_LI.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 260
Interesting.... did you wire the the hot side of the unused fuse, or the other side and added a fuse? Have you tried pulling the fuse where you've hardwired to see if the remote distance and/or battery drain changes?

I don't know how/where the remote communicates with the car but I assume it might be impacted by the extra electrical field along the left side of the windscreen.

I didn't hard wire mine like you did. I instead used the 12v outlet in the front of the center stack (under radio) which is switched with the ignition. No issues with the battery or the key fob. I thought about hard wiring but I'd be afraid to leave the dash cam on, thus draining the battery.

I don't have a lighter plug under the HVAC controls. I was also tired of looking at the wire hanging off my V1 and thinking I wanted to be less obvious to LEO.

I didn't hard wire mine like you did. I instead used the 12v outlet in the front of the center stack (under radio) which is switched with the ignition. No issues with the battery or the key fob. I thought about hard wiring but I'd be afraid to leave the dash cam on, thus draining the battery.
Likewise, no problems. The cable is exposed, but fairly unobtrusive.

You need to move your fuse tap which has a fuse for the new and old circuit to one that is powered with the car running, like wipers or the one to the lighter plug you do not have...

Likewise, no problems. The cable is exposed, but fairly unobtrusive.

Mine is ran down the A pillar, behind the kick panel, over the steering column and then behind the panel to the center console. It comes out directly beneath the outlet. You don't see it unless you are looking really hard for it.

ColtX-5 If you ever have an issue with a LEO asking you about a dash cam they are wanting to hide something. Trust me having a dash cam saved my ass and the LEO that was involved with my hit and run was more than happy to see it. I just personally don't like wires.

Did you enable parking mode on the dash? If you don't need to record when your away from the car, I would connect to a fuse that's only powered when the key is in the ON position.

Hardwire kit I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072J3L2JN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The wiring kit contains a DC-to-DC converter circuit that generates USB power whether there is anything plugged into it or not. So yeah it will accelerate battery drain. Find a switched circuit to connect it to. Power port in the console is usually switched.

As for the remote range, this is only a guess - does the new wiring run close to the remote antenna? Might affect the RF reception pattern, thus reducing range/sensitivity.

Back