Anyone replace the tires yet on their 2018+ Mazda6?

Are they for a Mazda 6? I'm a bit surprised that you are going with 55-series tires. Wouldn't steering sharpness be dulled?

Are they for a Mazda 6? I'm a bit surprised that you are going with 55-series tires. Wouldn't steering sharpness be dulled?
I’ll sure find out. Tires arrived today. Waiting on rims. Possibly tomorrow or Monday. But you do bring up an interesting point. And I’ll be sure to let you and the forum know.

I had a “Meeting of the Minds” with two of their top tire guys in the shop. We reviewed the order, line item by item,” and decided to proceed. I guess we shall see how much “Minds” we had when it’s all said and done. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Quick Update on my new tires: they are noticeably stickier in cold wet weather. Ride quality is about the same. Handling is noticeably better and more stable-not as much tire bounce on maneuvers where the car shifts it’s weight quickly. I suppose that’s due to a stiffer, more performance biased sidewall. They definitely howl on turns way less than the OEM tires. So far, so good.

The crappy OEM tires are done at 25,000 miles (thank god.). Just ordered a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus that I’m having installed on Friday. I’ve owned these tires before and loved them so I expect I will love them on the 6 as well. Will report back initial impressions post-install.
I have always read
The crappy OEM tires are done at 25,000 miles (thank god.). Just ordered a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus that I’m having installed on Friday. I’ve owned these tires before and loved them so I expect I will love them on the 6 as well. Will report back initial impressions post-install.
I have read great reports on those Extreme Contact tires on other car forums. I had looked at them on several websites on previous searches. Why I didn’t pursue them further is anyone’s guess. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Every post was positive. Nicely done on your selection.

Quick Update on my new tires: they are noticeably stickier in cold wet weather. Ride quality is about the same. Handling is noticeably better and more stable-not as much tire bounce on maneuvers where the car shifts it’s weight quickly. I suppose that’s due to a stiffer, more performance biased sidewall. They definitely howl on turns way less than the OEM tires. So far, so good.
Remember that older tires with lots of miles on them will often:
1. Make more noise
2. Exhibit sloppier handling/gets more slippery since the rubber loses its plasticizers
3. have longer braking distances

Now if you had the lower profile 45-series tires of the same make, I'd bet they'd be even better than the higher profile versions.

Remember that older tires with lots of miles on them will often:
1. Make more noise
2. Exhibit sloppier handling/gets more slippery since the rubber loses its plasticizers
3. have longer braking distances

Now if you had the lower profile 45-series tires of the same make, I'd bet they'd be even better than the higher profile versions.
There is no debate in my mind. The OEM tires were awful and exhibited the traits I mentioned their entire life. They are not a good tire and I would never buy them again. Not even a question.

I was referring to old tires that are great when new. Many people marvel at how good almost any tires are when new, compared to more expensive tires that were 6 years old and with 50,000 miles on them. Even good tires (not all, but some) get bad as they wear.

I was referring to old tires that are great when new. Many people marvel at how good almost any tires are when new, compared to more expensive tires that were 6 years old and with 50,000 miles on them. Even good tires (not all, but some) get bad as they wear.
I must admit, my Falken ZIEX (fill in the blank) tires have done well in the “wear” department. Anxious to see how these Pirelli’s perform, once my new rims arrive. BTW, the OEM tires now have 35,700 miles. Not bad for OEM’s. I e read the horror stories from others that tread wear on their new vehicles was ludicrous.

This is why I almost never buy the same brand and model tires as the OEM set, as they generally do not last even 30,000 miles. The good news is that I don't put more than 3000 miles on my 3 per year.

As promised, guys. New tires/rims. Working like a champ. The ride is incredible with the larger series sidewall. And looks pretty doggone good.

Attachments

• B77AB0E8-8765-4849-A86F-E37264785974.jpeg
    B77AB0E8-8765-4849-A86F-E37264785974.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1589.MOV
    5.1 MB
Tires fit perfectly and speedometer is spot on correct. The additional sidewall flex is remarkable on ride quality. And there is no noticeable difference in steering. If anything, it feels more responsive. Maybe the new Pirelli’s get some credit? Really quiet on highway. Noticeably quieter than my OEM Falken’s.

These rims are manufactured to fit a Mazda6 insomuch that these share common dimensions and fitment of the old rims: bolt pattern, same 40 offset, 8” wide, and 18” diameter. Hub bore on new wheels was 71,3. OEM Mazda wheels are 67.1. Simple concentric rings squared that away with a nice snug grip.

Hope this helps. BTW, I found a center cap sticker logo to put on the center caps. 66mm. About $9.95 for the set. My other caps were a 58mm. I will attach a pic of the covers. Just a holdover emblem from my tours in Vietnam in the 60’s & 70’s. Should have them in 7-10 days.

Attachments

• B4B40AAC-E7E1-4460-BFF2-BABD5DD7F1F9.jpeg
    B4B40AAC-E7E1-4460-BFF2-BABD5DD7F1F9.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I'll bet if I were to drive your car I'd be able to feel the sidewall flex. ;)Really, most average drivers would not be able tell. I tend to be a bit more aggressive than most, while still staying safe.
None of my tires have more than a 45 aspect ratio but when I had my 1989 Mazda MX6 GT Turbo, I switched from 15-inch to 16 inch tires with a lower aspect ratio (55 to 45 and same brand of tires) and there as a significant improvement in steering response.

....Nice caps!(y)

My 2022 Mazda 6 Turbo Atenza Sedan just arrived at the dealer for pre-delivery. Off come the Bridgestones and on go the Michelin PS5 in 235/45R19. The cost was AUD $479 each fitted and balanced. The 7.5 width rim can accommodate the width and the slightly taller profile corrects for the 3kph speedo error. I had the Michelin PS4 on my 2017 Mazda 3 SP25 Astina and never looked back.

My 2022 Mazda 6 Turbo Atenza Sedan just arrived at the dealer for pre-delivery. Off come the Bridgestones and on go the Michelin PS5 in 235/45R19. The cost was AUD $479 each fitted and balanced. The 7.5 width rim can accommodate the width and the slightly taller profile corrects for the 3kph speedo error. I had the Michelin PS4 on my 2017 Mazda 3 SP25 Astina and never looked back.
I opted for 18” rims, 8” width. Mounted 225/55R/18 Pirelli Scorpion A/S rubber. Car handles like a dream. Ride is smoother due to 55R’s sidewall flex as opposed to Mazda’s 45R offerings from the factory. With the new rims, everything looks great. IMO, LOL YMMV

Attachments

• 1D00BDF4-8E82-4C19-B634-0CC6760870DE.jpeg
    1D00BDF4-8E82-4C19-B634-0CC6760870DE.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 97
Back