Anyone have the remote start, rear backup sensors or tow hitch option?

Wow that is a bummer! What are the affordable vehicle brands there? Australian made cars only? I couldn't imagine paying that much for a CX-5, even though I love the vehicle.

The one thing you might not take into account is that we have much higher salaries than the US as well.
So basically, it easy to state that we can afford it.

It's for this reason I see daily Ferrari's and Lambo's. A 458 Italia or Aventador is required to get even the slightest of my attention due to just how common the Italian sports cars are. It takes a Zonda going down the main road, to actually turn my head and go "wow"!

It's what we get for being the only Western nation to have avoided a recession. Some people making serious cash. And car makers know they can charge whatever they want. People pay without a thought.

It's also the reason US tourists are avoiding the place now. Americans arrive only to find that's it's quite difficult to afford to stay too long.
For us to travel to the US, we get the same feeling as if Americans travel to Mexico. It's bargain basement prices.

It's about on par with Tokyo here in Sydney.

(I was in Mexico City, New York and Tokyo in January, so have a fair gauge of the prices at the moment)

Last edited:
Are you saying the dealer took 3 hours to install a hitch? Removing, or at least partially dropping, exhaust is pretty standard fare when installing trailer hitches too. I'm not saying they lied to you, but they probably stretched the truth somewhat to make you feel like you were getting a better deal.

Maybe so, I ended up having to pick it up the next morning. They just said there was more to it than they anticipated. Either way they quoted $85 labor for the install and that is what I paid. I was just passing along what they told me. Has anyone else had any experience having the hitch installed?

I'm glad I saw this post. I have been going back and fourth between getting the hitch and waiting for a roof rack to be available and was settled on the hitch, thinking it would cost me less money. (I already have bike rack roof attachments as well as a hitch mounted bike rack) Looking at the instructions the install looks like a bigger deal than I thought. I've installed class 1 and 3 hitches on our other vehicles and none of them required cutting. Lowering the exhaust doesn't seem to be too big of a deal but I don't like the idea of cutting into the rear bumper. Back to the drawing board....

I'm with you on this, I'm kinda bummed to see that the rear bumper has to be notched.

Macdaddytn: Could you provide us with some close-up's of your OE trailer install? some under the bumper shots and behind shots would be great. Thanks in advance!

I'm glad I saw this post. I have been going back and fourth between getting the hitch and waiting for a roof rack to be available and was settled on the hitch, thinking it would cost me less money. (I already have bike rack roof attachments as well as a hitch mounted bike rack) Looking at the instructions the install looks like a bigger deal than I thought. I've installed class 1 and 3 hitches on our other vehicles and none of them required cutting. Lowering the exhaust doesn't seem to be too big of a deal but I don't like the idea of cutting into the rear bumper. Back to the drawing board....

I will try, please forgive my photography skills (or lack there of...ha)

attachment.php

Thanks for posting the pics!! I first saw the cutouts and I was like "whoa no way!" but if your saying that it cant't be seen then I might opt to get it installed.

Unless you get down and look close you can't tell that the notch wasn't originally there.

It can be seen, but it is really not noticeable. I don't think that anyone is going to look at the bumper and think that the notch isn't supposed to be there. If you were to ever remove the hitch then it would look weird but with the hitch it is no big deal. To be perfectly honest I didn't realize it had been notched until I read it on here and took the pics.

CURT vs Mazda Towing Hitch Comparison

CURT makes a hitch for the CX-5 that does not require cutting the bumper. It also costs less and comes with excellent installation instructions. I've done a brief comparison below.

CURT hitch
  • $226.21 for US version
  • Does not require cutting the bumper
  • Great installation instructions with color photos
  • Does not include trailer light adapter
  • It looks like they sell a trailer light adapter separately. This adapter is stowed in the cargo area and dropped out the rear hatch when needed. The installation instructions don't mention the CX-5, so I'd want to confirm compatibility.
  • Might sit slightly lower than Mazda hitch since it doesn't require cutting the bumper??? It still looks sharp in the CURT installation photos.

Mazda hitch
  • $331.58 (Includes trailer light adapter)
  • Requires cutting notch in bumper (shudder)
  • Instructions seem clear and maybe a bit more complicated
  • Trailer light adapter fits nicely into a bracket on the hitch. If you rarely use it, some may prefer the hidden nature of the CURT lighting adapter.
  • Some people may only want a hitch for bike racks and will never use the trailer light adapter. In this case why pay more for the Mazda hitch?

I bought the CURT hitch and it arrived a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I broke my collar bone the day after it arrived and I'll be in no shape to install it for about a month or so. I did take it to a local place that sells and installs hitches to see how much they would charge to bolt it on but they wouldn't do it. Said it was a liability issue for them if they didn't sell the hitch. Odd...

i have a genuine mazda towbar and it puts yours to shame .. no cut outs for the bumper,and it cant be seen from behind the car untill you put the tounge/ball on.. can get pics tonight if required..
our towbars sit behind the rear bumper ,it does not hang under it like the pic

Since no one has responded about the remote start, I have it on my CX-5 and would probably not recommend it. It requires a separate fob from the advanced key (and slightly larger) so you end up with two of those if you want to carry the remote start. Also, the car turns off when you open the door no matter what so you end up having to restart it instead of it checking to see if you have the key when you enter and leaving the thing running. It is pretty cool to have the two way remote but I suspect I will leave it in the house since I park in the garage at home and don't want to carry two giant remotes into work. I can post pictures of the two remotes if someone wants to see. Thanks to everyone for the hitch info also.

David

Since no one has responded about the remote start, I have it on my CX-5 and would probably not recommend it. It requires a separate fob from the advanced key (and slightly larger) so you end up with two of those if you want to carry the remote start. Also, the car turns off when you open the door no matter what so you end up having to restart it instead of it checking to see if you have the key when you enter and leaving the thing running. It is pretty cool to have the two way remote but I suspect I will leave it in the house since I park in the garage at home and don't want to carry two giant remotes into work. I can post pictures of the two remotes if someone wants to see. Thanks to everyone for the hitch info also.

David

The engine shuts when you open the door, really? The 2 separate key fobs are understandable and owners have to accept it.. but the engine shut off.. All or most other vehicles just leave it running unless you step on the brake pedal without the key in the ignition. Since that is the case, would an aftermarket remote car starter be a different story?

The aftermarket remote start systems I have had in the past allowed the engine to run until the brake pedal was depressed (and even then if you put the key in and turned it to run prior to that point (not all the way to start) the engine would never shut off)

David

That's what we've got in our Tundra. So I suppose it may be better to find a suitable aftermarket system to install for any one that prefers the engine to continuously run and also for those who are not keen on adding the tech package that the factory remote starter requires..?

Or just better to go aftermarket for $500 either way since you can get a much nicer system for that (if you have to carry 2 fobs either way)

I test drove a Touring and asked about the remote engine start. They said it only cuts off when the brake pedal is depressed. But the remote engine start system that's in the vehicle purchased will be installed by the dealer any way I'm sure. So for $500, I'd rather take it to a car shop that'll do it for $300 and it still won't void the warranty.

Back