Anyone from New Zealand or Australia here?

MadBiker

Luv my MP5!
:
2002 Protege5
Hey Guys,

It's been a looooong while since I posted here. As in the title, anybody from New Zealand or Australia here?
This breaks my heart but I have to let go of my 2005 Mazda Atenza 23S. Pics are here:

The reason is the ridiculous Japanese tax system that penalizes car owners that take care of their cars - the longer you keep a car, the higher the annual taxes. Also the inspection and registration fees are absolutely ridiculous as well. For this car, for the inspection and registration, plus the annual tax, I'm looking at paying about USD1500 just to keep the car.

Car has less than 78,000km, no major damage (scuffs here and there), has Bose audio system with sunroof, is a 5spd manual, Red, sweet 2.3L engine. Suspension mod is an Autoexe low down spring.

If I can't find a buyer, it's going to the scrapyard. Can't freakin' believe it. And believe me, the likelihood of no buyer is very high.

Anyone interested in importing this car from Japan, let me know.

Or if you know where I can post this car for sale on a New Zealand or Australia website, please let me know.

I don't want this car to go to the scrap yard.

***Edit***
Logistics are a disaster now because of the current situation. If anyone is interested and willing to find a way to get the car on a ship, or willing to wait, let me know. I'd rather give the car away for USD100 and have someone drive the car than have it scrapped.

Hey Mad...Always nice to see you on the Forums.

I understand your pain, I recently sold my Cosmo (priorities change, less time etc) and while it took months, a motivated buyer surfaced in Japan and a deal was made. I had a lot of interest but either they needed a loan or they couldn’t meet my price etc.

While my car was for sale, I explored various options. Have you thought about asking what local Mazda Dealers would pay or even small used car Dealers? Granted they will most likely try to “low-ball” you hard but at least it may not get scrapped. Another possible option is to partner with a used car Dealer and have them put it on their lot and online or sell it at auction on your behalf.

Seems to me there is demand in Japan for preowned vehicles especially now in these tough times. That said, I think you might have a tough time finding someone to import it especially with the current situation.

You can post a FS thread in our Marketplace for free, just be sure to follow the Rules (hand written sign required in pics etc).

Best of luck and stay safe!

Antoine, so good to hear from you! You've done an awesome job on this forum. It's grown so much.

Ouch you sold your Cosmo? Oh man...

I will send you a private message instead of conversing here. Thanks!

p.s. Because of the coronavirus, car auctions for industry professionals are now conducted only online so several of the dealers I spoke to said that it's really hard to find buyers. for cars with engines bigger than 1.3 L.

PM received and response sent..:)

Interesting insight about the current car auction situation in Japan...Thanks for the info...Does that mean buyers are being a lot more conservative budget wise at the moment or..?

I suppose it would be a good time to be a buyer then, right? I wonder how Mazda Dealers are faring in Japan.

Back