Anyone else having trouble unlocking their CX-5 with the fob?

That is something wrong then. There's not a timer like your alluding to. You walk up to your car after work, its locked. Press driver side door. That door unlocks. You could wait 2 min, press again and all doors unlock. The drivers door won't lock on its own like that. Unless you have the walk away feature on. And of course you then have to actually walk away.
I think it might. My wifes Honda worked that way. If you walked up to it and unlock the drivers door but don't open it some minutes later it automatically re-locks. Not sure if Mazda works that way but it would make sense if it does.

Hi all,

I haven't been able to find anything useful online and am wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. Every morning it takes me multiple attempts to unlock my CX-5. However if the car was recently used, the car responds normally to the key fob. I thought the battery of the key fob was dying, but I had the same issue with the spare fob which I rarely use and the red light comes on whenever I press a button on the fob. The car eventually responds after spamming the unlock and lock buttons, but I've noticed it's taking a little longer each time. It's not THAT big of an inconvenience, but I just had a very unpleasant experience in the rain :( Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated!
I’ve been experiencing exactly the same scenario on my 2016 CX-5 GT in last couple of months. Strangely there’s no “key fob battery low” message displayed in dash, and that’s the time I changed the battery in key fob more than 3 years ago. And I didn’t experience the same scenario when key fob battery was low last time, only the warning message.

Yesterday I finally decided to replace the key fob battery with a fresh Panasonic CR2025. The symptom is gone as expected. But I was still wondering why there’s no “key fob battery low” message like last time.

I am going take a long shot here. Instead of the fob battery, check the 12V battery. OP has a 2014. The battery (12V) might be old. When it was recently driven, the voltage remains high. After it sits for a few days, the voltage goes lower and the sensor acts strangely...The problem might not be the fob(s), but the sensor inside the door (or the 12V battery).

I am going take a long shot here. Instead of the fob battery, check the 12V battery. OP has a 2014. The battery (12V) might be old. When it was recently driven, the voltage remains high. After it sits for a few days, the voltage goes lower and the sensor acts strangely...The problem might not be the fob(s), but the sensor inside the door (or the 12V battery).
OP’s car battery in his 2014 CX-5 should be about 2 years old when he posted the question on Feb. 9, 2016. In my situation, the OEM Mazda “High Performance” battery in my 2016 CX-5 is almost brand new, and was put in last October.

Another thing I haven’t mentioned is the weak key fob battery only affected unlocking the door the first time in the morning. Once the door was unlocked either by multiple tries or with mechanical key, there’s no issue to start the engine. The key fob didn’t have to near the ignition button to start the engine. I was waiting for the key fob battery low message and the difficulty of starting the engine for more than 2 months, but they never came. And I was getting tired of using the mechanical key to open the door, so I put the new Panasonic CR2025 into the key fob.

Then, it could be the sensor inside the driver's door. Do you have problem with other doors or hatch? If No, then, it is the sensor inside the door getting unreliable. My guess of course.

Then, it could be the sensor inside the driver's door. Do you have problem with other doors or hatch? If No, then, it is the sensor inside the door getting unreliable. My guess of course.
No, I couldn’t open the liftgate and passenger side door either. With new fob battery, everything is back to normal.

Back