Anyone consider a used Luxury SUV for the price of a new CX-5?

I bought a 190ps auto 4motion swb Tiguan 18 month ago, no regrets and 100% reliability unlike both cx5 I had.

For those who want power a R type with around 300ps is due out.

4motion gives 10% to the rear minimum all times.

Man I'd love for the SWB Tiguan to reach the USA, but it won't because VW never gives us the good stuff. The LWB version looks and drives like a pig.

Looks are subjective, but the more I look at the RDX & CX-5 (mine is also white) the more I like the looks of the CX-5 better. it just seems to have a better stance with a more purpose look. Like the Civic, the RDX seems to be looking for an identity with random lines and creases going nowhere.

Last edited:
My wife and I traded in our Audi Q5 to get a 2020 CX5 Signature. The Audi was a fun good looking car but after about 85k miles service and repair costs were eating us alive. The Signature provides a luxury type and fun driving experience for less money and we’re hoping its reliability will reduce long term carrying costs. So far we don’t regret our decision.

Looks are subjective, but the more I look at the RDX & CX-5 (mine is also white) the more I like the looks of the CX-5 better. it just seems to have a better stance with a more purpose look. Like the Civic, the RDX seems to be looking for an identity with incomplete line of no no purpose

Yeah, I've opened my search to include an RDX now that there are some used 2019+ gens available in my price range and because it offers more space for family stuff than the CX-5. However, I keep getting hung up on the fact that the RDX body style already looks old. The diagonal creases on the sides are desperate and the front-end is ripped straight from the very stale 2017 MDX.

IMO, Nissan and Honda have switched places with Hyundai and Kia in terms of Asian car brand quality. The former are now synonymous with uninspired rental car-grade junk, while the latter are innovating and putting out intriguing cars that appear to be trouble-free.

Nissan true.

But Honda?

Accord a family car that can DRIVE. Compared to a Sonata? Optima? They even still selling the Optima?

Civic has rocket versions that compete with WRX. Elantra? Accent? Forte? I'd be offended if Hertz passed me keys to an elantra.

Sure, the Telluride is killing it. And they have funky mini SUVs. They sell a ton. But if some weird rule came down that I had to only own one of these brands, I personally would still go Honda.

Yeah, I've opened my search to include an RDX now that there are some used 2019+ gens available in my price range and because it offers more space for family stuff than the CX-5. However, I keep getting hung up on the fact that the RDX body style already looks old. The diagonal creases on the sides are desperate and the front-end is ripped straight from the very stale 2017 MDX.

I find the A-spec still looks great. Small differences compared to regular versions but to my eye seems to make a big diff to how it looks going down the road.

Nissan true.

But Honda?

Accord a family car that can DRIVE. Compared to a Sonata? Optima? They even still selling the Optima?

Civic has rocket versions that compete with WRX. Elantra? Accent? Forte? I'd be offended if Hertz passed me keys to an elantra.

Sure, the Telluride is killing it. And they have funky mini SUVs. They sell a ton. But if some weird rule came down that I had to only own one of these brands, I personally would still go Honda.

I would agree with jimhumr, specifically speaking to quality. Honda is aware of their decline in quality and their CEO started addressing it towards the end of 2019.

I don't think Hertz rents out Civic Type-Rs, but I could be wrong. Frankly, given the huge strides the Korean brands have made recently, I wouldn't mind renting an Elantra or a Civic (if the trims were similarly equipped). In fact, with the Civic being so common, I think I'd prefer to take the Elantra just to experience something outside of Honda.

But if some weird rule came down that I had to only own one of these brands, I personally would still go Honda.

Unfortunately, I can no longer make that recommendation. Since 2006, I purchased the following new Hondas:

2006 Accord EX-L. No problems.
2007 Ridgeline RTL. No problems except for a spontaneously-exploding rear window that Honda wouldn't warranty.
2009 Civic EX. No problems.
2010 Ridgeline RTL. Starter failed around 40,000 miles.
2014 Ridgeline SE. No problems.
2016 CR-V. No problems.
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E. Interior and suspension rattles, body and steering creaks, engine knocks, paint defects (cracks, runs).
2017 Civic Si. No problems.
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T. Automatic emergency braking and adaptive cruise control failures, hood vibration, harsh shifts from 1-2, fuel odor.
2019 RDX Advance. Severe engine vibration when cold, infotainment system often froze or crashed even after multiple updates, fuel odor, harsh shifts from 2-3.
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E. Rear window leaked - worse after repair, transmission failed at 14,000 miles, fuel odor, body creaks and pops, door and dash rattles.

The general trend was that my 2006-2016 Hondas met my quality expectations for the brand. I began seeing a major decline in quality in 2016. I finally had enough and left the brand.

Honda's "large truck" platform (Odyssey, Pilot, Passport, and Ridgeline) seems to be the most problematic for Honda. Water leaks, transmission issues, poor fit and finish, electrical issues, fuel injector failure... The 2019 Odyssey, for example, has been recalled 11 times so far - and that's just for the safety-related issues.

Back to the topic at hand.. I see German and Japanese luxury and premium brands mentioned so far. Has anyone cross-shopped American luxury with the CX-5? Lincoln Corsair, Cadillac XT4, Buick Envision?

Back to the topic at hand.. I see German and Japanese luxury and premium brands mentioned so far. Has anyone cross-shopped American luxury with the CX-5? Lincoln Corsair, Cadillac XT4, Buick Envision?

Or Volvo XC40?

I find this thread interesting as I have the CX5 in mind for down the road. But when I think of the luxury options, I don't think X3 or Q5. Or even RDX.

I more think the Lexus NX, Audi Q3 and XC40. All seem to undercut the price of an X3 or Q5. They are smaller of course, and even smaller in the case of the Q3 and XC40 than the CX5. But the capacities of my next purchase is not a primary concern for my needs. This would be a vehicle driven in city traffic, mainly with just one person.

Little more refinement, luxury, for me might be a win over the extra size of the CX5. I'd say I'm leaning to the Mazda, but since I'm buying new, the luxury brands that stay anywhere close in $ need to be the small ones.

Or Volvo XC40?

I find this thread interesting as I have the CX5 in mind for down the road. But when I think of the luxury options, I don't think X3 or Q5. Or even RDX.

I more think the Lexus NX, Audi Q3 and XC40. All seem to undercut the price of an X3 or Q5. They are smaller of course, and even smaller in the case of the Q3 and XC40 than the CX5. But the capacities of my next purchase is not a primary concern for my needs. This would be a vehicle driven in city traffic, mainly with just one person.

Little more refinement, luxury, for me might be a win over the extra size of the CX5. I'd say I'm leaning to the Mazda, but since I'm buying new, the luxury brands that stay anywhere close in $ need to be the small ones.

Right, even the smaller CUVs like the ones you mentioned could be cross-shopped if cargo capacity/size was not a determining factor. If you still wanted luxury at the price of a top trim CX-5, but you didn't want to spend more than the CX-5, typically your luxury options are the smaller sized variants, as you said.

I actually just looked at the Build features on Volvo and Audi, and whooo Volvos are pricey. You're up well over 50k Cdn if you tick some boxes.

And forget Jag and the Range Rover Evoque, even more $$$.

My wife and I traded in our Audi Q5 to get a 2020 CX5 Signature. The Audi was a fun good looking car but after about 85k miles service and repair costs were eating us alive.
I'd be interested in a quick summary of what kind of problems you experienced with the Audi Q5.
I love how it looks, and it has been on my short list for a while.
Maybe buy it and just keep it until the warranty runs out?? Thoughts?
Thx.

I'd be interested in a quick summary of what kind of problems you experienced with the Audi Q5.
Thx.

According to Consumer Reports, 2012-2015 were the worst years in recent history for the Q5 with 2013 being the worst. Predicated reliability for the newer models has improved to "average". I like the look and feel of German automobiles, but I wouldn't own one out of warranty.

Last edited:
Thx.
We had a 2013 2.0 turbo Q5 that was a great car until ~ 80k - 85k miles. Most problems arose after that. The 2.0 Turbo is plenty Peppy and it always was a responsive driving experience. The problems we encountered included the following:
Front CV (constant velocity) joint boots were split and had to be replaced THREE times. Each job cost ~$650 because per the book the axel had to be removed. Had to be done because a CV joint lives only as long as its grease. A blown CV joint rubber boot combined with velocity can spin grease out and let in grit and grime.
Safety recall on an electric coolant pump that could become clogged with debris and possibly cause a fire. Part replaced at manufacturer’s cost.
Defective steering shaft boot had to be replaced after warranty expired.
My wife had to use the donut spare tire and after one use it had to be replaced at a cost of $550.
Interior body compartment rattles. Annoying but we just lived with it.
Audi dealer service costs are insane. They wanted $300 for an oil change for instance. And they put the battery in an inaccessible place so even though I’ve replaced batteries for many cars before I needed the dealer to replace it. Great car and if you could find a low mileage preowned one for a good price I’d recommend buying one but plan to sell it by 75k - 80k miles is my advice.

I actually just looked at the Build features on Volvo and Audi, and whooo Volvos are pricey. You're up well over 50k Cdn if you tick some boxes.

And forget Jag and the Range Rover Evoque, even more $$$.

I did a lot of research on the Volvo XC60. They play the Jeep game of shamelessly inflated MSRP. From lurking at owner forums it seems common to get at least 10% off. More if you time it right.

My wife and I traded in our Audi Q5 to get a 2020 CX5 Signature. The Audi was a fun good looking car but after about 85k miles service and repair costs were eating us alive. The Signature provides a luxury type and fun driving experience for less money and we’re hoping its reliability will reduce long term carrying costs. So far we don’t regret our decision.
@Trygg How much did you pay for your CX5 Signature. I am looking to buy the same model in the Kansas city area. Thanks.

Used RX but then again.........we can buy a certified used CX-5 GTR. :)

Stelvia isn't much faster than the CX5 turbo. Owning an FCA product for that very minor performance bump is a horrible move.

CX-5 0-60 is 6.6 sec
Stelvio QV does it in 3.6

That's not minor. Those things are absolute beasts. I rode in one and it takes off like a fricken Hellcat. My friend has had it for three years/ 20k miles with no problems at all.

Unfortunately, the price difference isn't minor either. Bang for the buck, the Mozzie wins as usual. (y)

CX-5 0-60 is 6.6 sec
Stelvio QV does it in 3.6

That's not minor. Those things are absolute beasts. I rode in one and it takes off like a fricken Hellcat. My friend has had it for three years/ 20k miles with no problems at all.

Unfortunately, the price difference isn't minor either. Bang for the buck, the Mozzie wins as usual. (y)

The QV I'd guess is the 500 HP one?

Looking at the base, Car and Driver had 2018 model go 5.4 sec to 60. Base 43K, as tested price 55K.

Still not a difference in either metric to sneeze at, but more realistic comparo.

Back