Anybody Truly Tested The Smart Brake Support/Smart City Brake Support?

dulanypeters

:
Car Coming Soon!
Every time I am in traffic on the highway, creeping toward the car ahead of me, I feel the desire to remove my foot from the brake and let the SCBS take over. But, of course, I don't...fearing a collision.

Has anybody tested their smart brake systems (both the one that works at higher speeds on the one that works for city driving)?

I've not yet seen the indicator come up in the info display screen, so I assume this means I've never even gotten close.

Just curious about results others have with these systems

The approved home method of testing is with a cardboard box and perhaps some aluminum foil (optional) in a safe and hazard free testing area.

It is best to try it this way to prevent damage or injury to yourself or others... In addition, it is not a standard feature, and since not all trim levels come with this feature, be sure it is an included feature on your trim level before testing or using.

I have 3 older brothers and the test they did in the video above looks like something they would have dreamed up....

My vehicle definitely has it. I'll try with a cardboard box. What does adding the foil do?

Hi @dulanypeters,
I think adding the foil may make the sensor believe is a car in front of it.
Just guessing. No idea how this work since I did no drive yet my daughter's new CX 5 purchased last Tuesday.
Hopefully will drive it soon, if not I will wait until she is out of town next month!! LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started pulling into the garage once while the door was still opening, it was just above the hood. The car decided that was not a great idea and hit the brakes. It took me by surprise...

I was too thinking if it work or not cause it haven't come on. But since then, it activated twice. I'm still not comfortable if it was city breaking vs smart breaking. I don't know if this car will prevent rolling bumper accident or not.

The way I understand it, is that the feature is not meant to brake for you autonomously during routine driving, but rather to provide emergency braking assistance in the event of an imminent collision.

I had a loaner CX-5 from the dealership while my car was in for service. The newer CX-5 had the smart brake support, but I didn't realize it until it started working on the freeway and slowed the car down from the 55 mph I had set the cruise control to, and the speed of the car in front. Worked like a charm and in that situation I barely noticed until I looked at the speedometer and realized it was at 48.

I had a loaner CX-5 from the dealership while my car was in for service. The newer CX-5 had the smart brake support, but I didn't realize it until it started working on the freeway and slowed the car down from the 55 mph I had set the cruise control to, and the speed of the car in front. Worked like a charm and in that situation I barely noticed until I looked at the speedometer and realized it was at 48.

You described the Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) which can be set to keep a certain distance from the car in front if its speed drops below the speed your cruise control is set to. MRCC is easy to test/demonstrate and check compared to SBS/SCBS.

Driving on a 50km/h road, driver in front of me decided to stop suddenly. By the time my foot was on the brake pedal the car was beeping and showing a big red "BRAKE" sign in the HUD and already slowing down. Worked as advertised.

It worked for me unexpectedly when I was rolling up behind a car at a low speed. The CX-9 thought I was getting too close, so it slammed on the brakes. Surprised the heck out of me.

Had a similar experience - on interstate and traffic ahead slowed way down unexpectedly - the HUD flashed BRAKE in big letters and alarm sounded, just like it was supposed to. I stopped in time, but it appears it would have as well if I didn't.

Love this thing!

Back