Any Word on the 2020 CX-9 Changes?

Wait, you guys can get a GT without AWD?

Not the case in Canada, but then again I wouldn’t even have considered anything without AWD. Of course if i was living in a more southern location, it would be different, but in canadian winter once you have had a taste of AWD it is hard to go back.

I personally don't like the captain's chairs for 2020 in the CX-9. The bench offers everything that the captain's chairs do, plus more. With the bench you can still individually recline/slide with the center armrest down for 2 people, plus once you have the seats down you don't have to deal with that intruding armrest hump with the captain's chair setup.... basically you get less utility with the captain's chair.

If the CX-9 was more spacious and the captain's chairs had leg rests/ottoman's when reclined, then it would give it some added "value", but the way it's setup now, it's not anymore luxurious than the bench in a practical sense and only takes away, you lose a seat and it intrudes cargo space.

I personally don't like the captain's chairs for 2020 in the CX-9. The bench offers everything that the captain's chairs do, plus more. With the bench you can still individually recline/slide with the center armrest down for 2 people, plus once you have the seats down you don't have to deal with that intruding armrest hump with the captain's chair setup.... basically you get less utility with the captain's chair.

If the CX-9 was more spacious and the captain's chairs had leg rests/ottoman's when reclined, then it would give it some added "value", but the way it's setup now, it's not anymore luxurious than the bench in a practical sense and only takes away, you lose a seat and it intrudes cargo space.

The 2020 CX-9 Sig has even less utility because of the fixed armrest where the passthrough between the captain's chairs would normally be. You basically trade a bench seat for some extra storage. I don't know why they thought this was a good idea.

Totally agree. "...you don't have to deal with that intruding armrest hump with the captain's chair setup ...and it intrudes cargo space. "

It's funny too because so many customers kept asking, "why doesn't it have an option for captain's chairs"? Well, they got what they wanted... Capt chairs just don't fit the CX-9's already small cabin imo... it needs more cabin space for captain's chairs to be done right in my opinion... like a Kia Telluride/ Hyundai Palisade... or a minivan... where the 2nd row can be laid back with leg rests and there's still plenty of useable space for the passengers in the 3rd row.... whereas the CX9's 3rd row is barely adequate.

I guess I'll be in the minority here, but the captain's chairs is honestly one of the only reasons we're considering a CX-9. We have two kids in car seats and the captain's chairs make passage to the third row easier.

Last edited:
I assume that is for the captain chairs without the center console? Because with the center console i don’t see how getting to the third row would be easier (unless i am missing something).

I think in Canada, Sig has centre console. GT with captains chairs no console. And interestingly, GT has no one touch (which people have said is painfully slow).

So a GT buyer can go thru middle. And I assume (not sure) can still manually flip seat up if someone doesn't want to crawl thru middle. That could be seen as advantage when accessing back, esp for those with nimble little ones not needing legroom. .

I hadn't thought of the issues with captains chairs and folding seat down. Not sure what's worse, a big hump in the way of cargo or a hole for stuff to fall into. Or can you even fold a captains chair flat (or even flat-ish?)

Ugh. End of day, I like my bench. After all, I don't sit there!

I think in Canada, Sig has centre console. GT with captains chairs no console. And interestingly, GT has no one touch (which people have said is painfully slow).

So a GT buyer can go thru middle. And I assume (not sure) can still manually flip seat up if someone doesn't want to crawl thru middle. That could be seen as advantage when accessing back, esp for those with nimble little ones not needing legroom. .

I hadn't thought of the issues with captains chairs and folding seat down. Not sure what's worse, a big hump in the way of cargo or a hole for stuff to fall into. Or can you even fold a captains chair flat (or even flat-ish?)

Ugh. End of day, I like my bench. After all, I don't sit there!

A lot of good questions that Mazda doesn't address up front. I didn't even think about how the 2nd row armrest would impede the cargo loading floor (if it would at all). No idea if the captain's chairs can be folded down completely flat - I assume that they can, because if they couldn't, I feel like reviewers would have had a field day with the significant reduction in cargo space.

I believe the center console is only available on the Signature trim (at least in the NA market). I compiled a list of 2020 MY changes in this post from Oct last year. I think it was a smart move to keep the 3rd row access in the Signature trim manual. The automated one-touch is painfully slow.

I believe only the Signature has that center console thing as well (I'm in the US) - which defeats the purpose/benefits, IMO. The GTs and Touring trims I have checked out did not have anything between the two seats when equipped with captain's chairs.

I believe only the Signature has that center console thing as well (I'm in the US) - which defeats the purpose/benefits, IMO. The GTs and Touring trims I have checked out did not have anything between the two seats when equipped with captain's chairs.

Interesting, did not know that the GT and down equipped with the captain's chair did not have the center console, I didn't get to check it out at the dealership in person. I've only seen the promoted pictures of the Signature.

All,

new here and not to revive a thread that’s a few months old...but I would rather use the search function than the new one.

My wife and I are looking for our future family hauler (“currently” no kid’s and early 30’s) and my wife fell in love with a 2020 CX-9 GT vs her 2016 highlander which I am now inheriting.
That said, she loves captains chairs but wanted more practicality of a bench. According to the salesmen, it is no longer possible in 2020 to get a GT with a bench as they are forced captains chairs.
I do the paperwork and pick up the car tomorrow...appears this is incorrect and it is still possible to find a 2020 GT with heated second row bench? Can anyone confirm?

In Canada, 2020 had bench standard. Outboard seats heated.

But that doesn't mean one can be found now. Did they say it's an inventory issue? Of course, who knows how long and hard they looked.

Or are they saying it was never possible to get that way?

From what I was told it was never possible for the 2020 MY bit per auto trader unless they are listing touring models for GT...it is an incorrect statement.

Captain chairs are optional on the GT. So unless it is a stock issue the salesman is wrong.

You're right, captain's chairs are optional on the GT, and it's a free option(as per the website and builder) too... seems like all the dealerships in my area ordered all GT's with the free optional captain chairs as there are virtually no GT's in my area available with the bench... all of them were ordered as captain. Annoys me as I wanted the Signature(but now that MY2020 only comes with it, I no longer want it), now my only logical choice is the Grand Touring(equivalent to the Signature to where it counts for me), but the problem is getting one shipped with a bench in my area at least..

Last edited:
I have a 2020 and it has a 2nd row bench vs the captains chairs. The salesman definitely was incorrect in that statement. The signature is the one that comes w captain chairs but for the right incentive I’m sure they can assist in making it a bench. My neighbor just leased a signature.

Back