Any way to start 2018 CX-9 using auxiliary key only?

Can I start my 2018 CX-9 using the auxiliary key only like we used to do with the 1st gen? Sometimes I need to leave the car in a mall parking for example and my wife can find it after and drive home. We used to do that with our 2010 when we go out bringing only 1 key fob, so we split it; one gets the fob and the other gets the auxiliary key, and it always worked. Any way to achieve this with our 2018 model?

I don't think it's possible since there is no keyhole for the auxiliary key. You can test a forced start by only having the aux key in your pocket with the rest of the keyfob out of range, then depressing the brake pedal and holding down the Start button. However, I'm guessing this won't work as I think the chip is in the main part of the keyfob.

Your car should have come with two keyfobs, though. If you only have one, you can buy a used keyfob off of ebay (or a new one from the dealer) and have it programmed to your CX-9, that way both you and your wife can carry a keyfob.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Yes I think with the second generation, Mazda moved the transponder from the auxiliary key to the main part of the keyfob. That's why with a dead key battery I can start the engine by pressing the push start button with the logo side of the key fob, not with the ring side.
It was a life saver when one of us forget to carry his fob with our 1st generation.

Upvote 0
Back