2017~2024 Any issues with 2.5 turbo coolant leaks and engine replacement?

I had my engine replaced at 24000km LOL, 1 cylinder has much lower compression. Apparently I'm not the only one.

Anyone having issues with the 2.5 turbo engine leaking coolant and the engine needing to be replaced like some are having with the CX-9? See this thread in the CX-9 forum for details on that: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...acement-what-can-be-done-to-prevent.123875515
So in that unscientific poll 21.7% CX-9 owners were having coolant leak problem and got their 2.5T engine replaced. So assuming all SkyActiv-G 2.5T’s are created equal, we should see 21.7% of the CX-5’s with 2.5T are having the same issue. But in reality, we’ve only seen reports here on 2.5T CX-5 with low compression issue on certain cylinders causing the engine replacement.

it is, but the cx9 numbers sold are nowehere near what cx5 sold numbers are.
But most CX-5’s sold in North America are not equipped with the 2.5T, and all CX-9’s are come with the 2.5T.

We’ve seen a couple of UOA reports from their CX-5 which indicate severe coolant leak with high levels of potassium and sodium. But those are all 2.5L. I guess not many CX-5 owners with the 2.5T are willing to DIY on oil change, and send sample for a UOA. Or we may see more of this complaint on the 2.5T CX-5.

Still waiting for some 2.5T owners who is interested in doing ATF drain-and-fill ⋯ :p

SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

Glad to see so many great Blackstone reports for the 2.5 SkyActive! Mine was also, until now......

Link to Discussion thread:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/2015-cx-5-2-5-skyactive-coolant-in-oil.123874610/

View attachment 294760
I did my oil analysis at 73K and apparently there's a coolant leak. I brought my vehicle to a mechanic 2 months ago and he did a pressure test but did not find any sources of a leak so I am not sure. I did put some UV dye in the coolant reservoir to see if the funny smell coming from my heater was due to a heater core leak but there wasn't anything noticeable.
View attachment 297881

You outlined it pretty accurate. Not many DIY and even fewer that post in the forums. Most I guess go to the dealers and don't bother, the rest are interested primarily in accessories and infotainment features, etc.

You outlined it pretty accurate. Not many DIY and even fewer that post in the forums. Most I guess go to the dealers and don't bother, the rest are interested primarily in accessories and infotainment features, etc.
Based on the coolant leak report on 2.5T from CX-9, they claimed the dealer saw the coolant from the rear side of the engine. Which to me most likely is external cracks developed on cylinder block, or less likely the cylinder head. The head gasket or cylinder head coolant leak normally can only be detected from UOA or the oil stain in radiator and coolant reservoir. You can’t see the coolant from outside. Of course when the coolant level is dropping, it could be the sign of coolant leak. But it can be from leaking water pump and there’s a TSB for it. Many, including me, have found the coolant level will drop gradually over time with no reason can be found.

Mazda recently put out this TSB for coolant leak because of cracks in the cylinder head.
As reported by many here it seems to affect the 2.5T 2016-2020 CX-9 as well as 2019-2020 CX-5 and 2018-2020 Mazda6

Attachments

• TSB-01-013-21.pdf
    948.7 KB · Views: 357
Bottom line, if I get a report from Blackstone that there's coolant in my oil and bring that report to the dealer are they going to do anything?

Bottom line, if I get a report from Blackstone that there's coolant in my oil and bring that report to the dealer are they going to do anything?
Not just UOA report with coolant in the oil, you also want to show the Mazda dealer the TSB which Hawke posted above. The dealer has to do something from your concern based on the TSB.

Did Mazda change something for the 2021 to fix this going forward? The TSB only goes thru 2020 models so something must have changed in the engine.

2019 2.5T Had a crack in the head with coolant leak. Took dealership 4 separate trips to identify issue. Engine replacement took months to get parts in. Then, less than 1000 miles later, PCM failed and needed replacement.

8 of my last 9 new car purchases have been Mazda. This is really leaving a bad taste though.

2019 2.5T Had a crack in the head with coolant leak. Took dealership 4 separate trips to identify issue. Engine replacement took months to get parts in. Then, less than 1000 miles later, PCM failed and needed replacement.

8 of my last 9 new car purchases have been Mazda. This is really leaving a bad taste though.

Was all of this under warranty ?

How many miles on your 2019 before the coolant leak?

Back