Anti-glare coating coming off infotainment screen

The anti glare coating is coming off my infotainment screen on my 2017 Mazda CX5. It is still under my certified used warranty. I took it in to a Mazda dealer and they took picture of it and sent it to Mazda. Mazda said they will not warranty it because they think something got on the screen to cause the damage. And because it is on the outside of the screen. I have seen post on this forum for the same thing and Mazda has warranted it. I emailed the Mazda customer experience center but they will not help. That should I do next to get this resolved. Is there a email or phone number to talk to someone at Mazda warranty department. Thanks.

related post:

The anti glare coating is coming off my infotainment screen on my 2017 Mazda CX5. It is still under my certified used warranty. I took it in to a Mazda dealer and they took picture of it and sent it to Mazda. Mazda said they will not warranty it because they think something got on the screen to cause the damage. And because it is on the outside of the screen. I have seen post on this forum for the same thing and Mazda has warranted it. I emailed the Mazda customer experience center but they will not help. That should I do next to get this resolved. Is there a email or phone number to talk to someone at Mazda warranty department. Thanks.

Some dealerships may have goodwilled the replacement without Mazda Corporate's involvement.

Assuming you are in the USA, you can call 1 (800) 263-4680 to reach Mazda Customer Service. I advise calling because you have no way to know when they will email you back. When you get someone on the phone, explain the issue and confirm that they have seen the photos sent by the dealership, and have them explain why the issue isn't being taken care of.

Usually they will provide a ticket number or reference number of some sort - when you have that info, send them an email with the ticket number in the subject line and restate everything that was discussed over the phone in the email. This way you have your own "written" records.

If your initial contact with Mazda Corporate declines to assist, you can request escalating the issue further to a customer service manager. If that is not satisfactory, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

However, with all that said - I was initially under the impression that it is unreasonable for them to expect owners to only use water and a soft cloth to clean the screen. Upon doing a search of the 2017 CX-5 owner's manual just now, I found this section, which states:

NOTE: Do not wipe the interior using alcohol, chlorine bleach, or organic solvents such as thinner, benzene, and gasoline. Otherwise, it may cause discoloration or stains.

Unless you can somehow prove that none of those were used, you may be out of luck, unfortunately.

If your communications with Mazda end up being unfruitful, maybe try using alcohol to carefully and completely remove the remaining coating. I recall another user saying he couldn't really tell a difference.

Last edited:
I did some bartering with a buddy and he detailed our cx5.....and rubbed off some of the anti glare coating on accident. We removed the rest and bought an anti glare screen protector on Amazon. Looks new again.

I checked with Mazda again and they will not warranty it. I checked with the dealership and they will not do a goodwill replacement.
Looking to get an anti glare screen protector for it. Any recommendation's on the best ones for a 2017 Mazda CX5.
Thanks to for all for your information and help.

I checked with Mazda again and they will not warranty it. I checked with the dealership and they will not do a goodwill replacement.
Looking to get an anti glare screen protector for it. Any recommendation's on the best ones for a 2017 Mazda CX5.

Oh well, worth a shot. Sorry it didn't work out in your favour.

I'd go with https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned), or this one from aliexpress if you can stomach the wait time.

I did some bartering with a buddy and he detailed our cx5.....and rubbed off some of the anti glare coating on accident. We removed the rest and bought an anti glare screen protector on Amazon. Looks new again.

What product did you use to remove the glare coating?

So here's my update! I watched a couple of Youtube videos where they described this issue on screens. It was called a 'stained' screen and apparently it happened on some Mac laptop screens as well. The solution to the problem they offered was to use and agent to clean of the 'stained' screen entirely. One guy used Listerene and another guy used vinegar. I got my supplies together (White vinegar, latex gloves, microfiber towel and some Q tips). I used the microfiber towel and did the
main body of the infotainment screen, and used Q tips for the bottom edge of the screen to avoid making contact with the dash.

The vinegar worked like a charm! The screen looks brand new! I guess the only issue could be glare now that there is no anti-glare layer, but after taking the vehicle for a test drive it doesn't seem like it's a problem. I'm considering getting a screen protector but am going to wait and see
how I feel about it in a few days. Hope this helps someone else!

The youtube video info I used came from here:

I own 2017 CX-5 Grand touring and my infotainment looked awful. I didn't know what caused the imperfections on the screen but I found out the antiglare protection was fading and made the screen looked horrible. After spending so much time researching how to remove the coating. I found the solution and I was able to fix my screen in 5 minutes.
The solution to remove the anti-glare coating is the regular Lysol wipes. Just gently wipe the screen for about 5 minutes (circular motion) and clean and dry with a microfiber cloth, you'll be surprised! Mazda dealer coated me over $1000 to replace the screen, they called it damaged screen. Anyways, if you are worried about glare later, buy and install an anti-glare screen protector from Amazon for $12 but you don't really have to. I hope my experience helps the other Mazda owners.

20210211_175243.jpg

White Vinegar cleaned mine up like new!
20210209_160050.jpg

How did you remove the rest of the anti-glare coating?

I used Lysol wipes and it easily came off in 5 minutes. Don't push it too hard, you may damage the touch screen system.

I can attest that this solution worked like a charm, with just a little elbow grease. Everything came off, with no scratches. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back