Alright, I did it.

utmorpheus

:
13 Mz2 Touring MTX
I registered for Novice H-Stock autocross. My first ever race will be Sept 1st. Hopefully in that time frame I can get a set of CS shocks and springs...maybe Corksport will have a miraculous sale or free shipping or something for encouragement. *whistles*

At least I have the Star Specs and Miata wheels on the car, that has helped so far. The 3lb+ loss per corner has really improved handling and cornering already. And if I can tear through these tires that means I can pick up a set of ZII next year and not feel bad! On the topic of suspension, and my complete lack of knowledge regarding it, what would benefit me more: addition of the torsion bar brace, or better front sway bar? Since I plan on sticking with H-Stock for at least the remainder of this season and next season I'd rather spend my money wisely than have extra parts lying around.

You should register in Road Tire - FWD. Its the same class as Stock sans R-Compound tires.

If you change your springs that'll bump you into Street Touring FWD.

I'm still on stock suspension and the torsion bar really made a solid difference. Must buy.

Nice catch on the springs. I don't want to run STF as of right now, at least until I can afford an ECU reflash. So how do the stock springs work with the CS shocks? Also I looked into RTF, but the local group either doesn't have the RTF class, or I think they may just require non R-compound on all their stock classes.

First time running auto-x? If so, might want to pull the windshield wiper fuse. And as said above, leave the springs alone for now. Have fun!

I'd recommend spending just a tad more for the bilstein coilovers (vs the spring/strut combo), and run STF instead of stock class. Rear bar is better than the front, but in STF you can have both. In all honesty, seat time/driver mod will make the biggest difference your first season of autocross.

Yeah, if you have to make a choice between buying a mod and going to an autocross, go to an autocross.

You can run STF regardless of mods, the car is eligble there. I went straight to STF because I'm faster without ABS or DSC (pulling the 30A fuse isn't legal in Stock)

I'm doing very well there with stock suspension and some minor mods. ST is a bigger class in most regions and gives you a better way to benchmark yourself against other people to see if you're improving.

I'd recommend spending just a tad more for the bilstein coilovers (vs the spring/strut combo), and run STF instead of stock class. Rear bar is better than the front, but in STF you can have both. In all honesty, seat time/driver mod will make the biggest difference your first season of autocross.

I'd rather run against some near stock cars so I can work on my technique and increase my skill against cars that are similar to mine, just uglier(here's looking at you Mini). I want to be in a class I'm capable of being competitive in as I get better at driving, not have to always be bottom of the boards become some kid with 18" crome rimz yo on his stock RSX decides to run. However I know some of the shortfalls of the car without even hitting the cones yet; going around turns I can feel how loose the rear end feels at higher speeds, how much it bounces(worse than my mattress on a good night), and the absurd amount of nose dive when braking. I have plans to build the car into a fun little STF toy, and maybe further, but I don't have the funding Andy Hollis does. I mean you can say that SM or SP is just a few mods away from ST and each of those mods will make the car better. I don't want to go crazy yet because as we say in the Miata community: drive the car first, learn it's limits, and then decide what you want or need to do. That's why I want to start with the low-cost Corksport options. I know they make and sell high quality parts, and they fit my budget and skill level currently.

Also thanks for the recommendation of the wiper fuse. I hit that on accident all the time as it is...

When I finally start driving with the local club I don't think I'm going to really care about how competitive I am. At least at first. They can put me in whatever class they want (though my only performance mod right now is the CS rear bar). I'm just looking forward to when I can finally get out and drive. I figure I'll mostly just be competing against myself.

I'd rather run against some near stock cars so I can work on my technique and increase my skill against cars that are similar to mine, just uglier(here's looking at you Mini). I want to be in a class I'm capable of being competitive in as I get better at driving, not have to always be bottom of the boards become some kid with 18" crome rimz yo on his stock RSX decides to run. However I know some of the shortfalls of the car without even hitting the cones yet; going around turns I can feel how loose the rear end feels at higher speeds, how much it bounces(worse than my mattress on a good night), and the absurd amount of nose dive when braking. I have plans to build the car into a fun little STF toy, and maybe further, but I don't have the funding Andy Hollis does. I mean you can say that SM or SP is just a few mods away from ST and each of those mods will make the car better. I don't want to go crazy yet because as we say in the Miata community: drive the car first, learn it's limits, and then decide what you want or need to do. That's why I want to start with the low-cost Corksport options. I know they make and sell high quality parts, and they fit my budget and skill level currently.

Also thanks for the recommendation of the wiper fuse. I hit that on accident all the time as it is...

All of that is OK. Part of becoming a good DRIVER is to become fast no matter what level of preparation you have. I've been autocrossing my OEM tire, 15x6 steel wheel, stock suspension Mazda 2, and I'm leading the points regionally in STF. Why? Because I sit down and study the way my car reacts and use it to my advantage.

I spent all of this season so far on my OEM all-seasons, except for the Match Tour. I'm a poor racer. However, it made me focus on driving smooth, turning early and keeping a nice wide arc through elements, and most of all, making little to no mistakes as the OEM tires are extremely unforgiving.

Sure, my times were still on the slow side because I wasn't able to carry as much speed as the BFG, Toyo and Dunlop equipped cars, but once the Match Tour rolled around, I borrowed a set of Rivals from a friend, and I drove my car almost the same as how I was driving with the OEM tires, just with a little more gas pedal. I ended up taking 1st in the class and beating an autocrosser who's been doing this longer than I've been alive... by over a second.

Point is.. don't worry about class and level of prep. Once you pass tech, focus on YOU and how you are driving your car.

You could also just see how many cars you'd have to compete against in stock/rtf vs stf. In my region there isn't much STF competition, and at the last event I attended I was the only car in my class. On the other hand, when I was in STR and STS2 previously there was TONS of competition which makes things a bit more motivating. That being said....as long as your having fun, why care how high your name is on the results/pax sheet?

Personally, the 2 is my daily driver and STF mods make my car immensely more fun to drive every single time I get in the car, and for relatively little money. That's the main reason I run in STF. Leaving the car stock is boring.

Bilstein coils are $816 shipped from all shock. This should be the bear minimum when it comes to suspension mods. Everything else is just silly in my eyes. I would have loved to get something more high end but couldn't justify the cost. The nice thing about the bilstein setup is you can grow with it. Change springs and get them revalved. As for Classing right now your car is stock so run stock class but if you plan to mod it build it for STF. If you are running with a SCCA club your pax score will be great if you are running with a club without pax well your going to get your ass kicked either way lol.

Bilstein coils are $816 shipped from all shock. This should be the bear minimum when it comes to suspension mods. Everything else is just silly in my eyes. I would have loved to get something more high end but couldn't justify the cost. The nice thing about the bilstein setup is you can grow with it. Change springs and get them revalved. As for Classing right now your car is stock so run stock class but if you plan to mod it build it for STF. If you are running with a SCCA club your pax score will be great if you are running with a club without pax well your going to get your ass kicked either way lol.

I'm saving my pennies for the Knight Sports Aragosta coils *drool*

If you don't feel like waiting till Sept and don't mind traveling a little there are two events at RIT in Aug. The drive is about an hour and ten minuets for me and I plan on making both of them. Also, I'm pretty sure you get grouped with novice until you get a few races in, so it doesn't matter what class you're in.
http://www.flr-scca.com/solo/schedule.html

Back