Air conditioning not working

:
2016 and 2017 Grand Touring
My 2016 Mazda (with 10,000 miles) has a air conditioning that works fine but does not blow cool air. Any ideas, would you recommend a dealer that is 18 miles away or my local trusted mechanic.

My 2016 Mazda (with 10,000 miles) has a air conditioning that works fine but does not blow cool air.
That's a bit of a contradiction isn't it?

Anyway, I presume it's out of warranty, so a visit to the dealer could cost you mega bucks, whatever the problem may be.

I would probably avoid both the dealer and a local mechanic, unless you're sure they are really good at A/C repair, and find a good specialty AC shop with the best equipment.
Some dealers might have that stuff but I don't know that all do, and they might subcontract the work anyway.

Do you have any mechanical abilities to check a few simple things first such as dirty cabin air filter, fuses? Is a/c led on HVAC control panel illuminated? Under the hood is compressor clutch cycling on/off? Any visible electrical connectors to compressor loose or disconnected? Any visible impact damage to the condenser coil (in front of radiator? Has there been any visible oil spots under the front half of the car where you park?

Pretty low mileage / age for an a/c problem. If you don't know how to check those things, I would start with your local trusted mechanic to check it out first.

If it is not under warranty go to your trusted mechanic, unless you are okay paying more at the dealership. Just about every shop has AC equipment. They will find the leak and fix it, purge the system and refill it. With that low mileage I don't think it would be mechanical component failure, most likely a slow leak.

With only 6000+ miles it seems like it could be something really simple.

Pretty low mileage / age for an a/c problem. If you don't know how to check those things, I would start with your local trusted mechanic to check it out first.

On the other hand, only 10,000 miles in 4-5 years suggests that the vehicle may sit for long periods of time without the A/C compressor being operated which can cause the compressor shaft seal to leak. The general recommendation is to run the compressor for at least 10 minutes every 30 days to help avoid this.

Back