Aftermarket PR5 sway bars?

I'm looking in to upgrading my sway bars. Does anyone know of any reliable companies to use or have links to point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

What i remember is that there are lots of choices for the rear end, but the front sway bar is a Huge PITA to swap out.

Upvote 0
Progress 22mm......been running it with oem endlinks and car lowered 1.5". No problems breaking anything...............

JT_SURFACEPRO3 - gtspec_arms02.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yes, rr sway made big difference in body roll. The rr stb helped too. Had mx-6 one until finding the GT Spec...............

JT_SURFACEPRO3 - gtspec_rr_stb06.jpg

JT_SURFACEPRO3 - gtspec_rr_stb01.jpg

Upvote 0
So is the rear sway bar worth it? I noticed a similar post from back in 03 saying that the stock struts couldn't handle a beefier sway bar and would break off. Thanks
The AWR 21.5mm rear swaybar makes a huge difference if you're planning on tracking the car. It will definitely take care of the understeer. It will also lift a rear wheel every time you go up a driveway at an angle, clunk endlessly, and burn through swaybar brackets about once a year.

I ran an AWR bar for years. NVH (noise, vibration harshness) is always a trade off with performance parts, especially suspension. The swaybar will make the car corner better, but there will be some ill effects too.

Upvote 0
I have had none of that with the Progress 22m one......does have the 3 wheel thing going up angled driveways tho but that is expected and kind of amusing.

Upvote 0
+1 on the progress bar. Properly lubed on install and relubed every couple years and it has been noise free. Also love the ability to use factory end links.

Upvote 0
I've been really considering the Progress Rear Swaybar, but have been skeptical. I'm not a fan of mods that marginally improve performance 10% of the time, while making the car annoying 90% of the time, but this seems to be a good mod with minor tradeoffs.

Edit: I am on 100% stock suspension with no plans to lower. I assume it's still a worthwhile upgrade, with that in mind?

+1 on the progress bar. Properly lubed on install and relubed every couple years and it has been noise free. Also love the ability to use factory end links.
So just to confirm, you're saying that it's possible to avoid a majority of additional noise and/or clunking with proper care and maintenance?

Upvote 0
This bar makes a huge improvement in cornering. I installed it using the supplied lube and it was noise free for like 4 or 5 years. I had a clunking endlink around that time and replaced those with the beefier moogs (K80868) that also have a zerk fitting and at that time re lubbed the bushing with white lithium grease. That lasts a year or 2 out here and then needs to be reapplied as a rubbing sound is heard when going over bumps. Im sure some of the energy suspension grease would last much longer but i dont have any of that just sitting around.

Upvote 0
This bar makes a huge improvement in cornering. I installed it using the supplied lube and it was noise free for like 4 or 5 years. I had a clunking endlink around that time and replaced those with the beefier moogs (K80868) that also have a zerk fitting and at that time re lubbed the bushing with white lithium grease. That lasts a year or 2 out here and then needs to be reapplied as a rubbing sound is heard when going over bumps. Im sure some of the energy suspension grease would last much longer but i dont have any of that just sitting around.
Good to know. I think it'll definitely be the next mod on my list, once I get my clutch and flywheel replaced.

On a related note, do stock swaybars generally need lubrication to avoid squeaking? My car already squeaks going over bumps. I thought it was the struts, but lack of lubrication on swaybars makes much more sense now that I think about it.

Upvote 0
Stock sway bushing are rubber and can dry out. But usually they dont require regular lubrication. The progress bushings are urethane and require a lube as they do dry up and will make noise. The enviromnent in which you live will determine how often they need lube.
Also, using stock endlinks should allow you to use the progress bar with stock suspension and be noise free. Im using it with eibachs and the gt spec subframe reinforcement and no banging or clunks.

Upvote 0
Stock sway bushing are rubber and can dry out. But usually they dont require regular lubrication. The progress bushings are urethane and require a lube as they do dry up and will make noise. The enviromnent in which you live will determine how often they need lube.
Also, using stock endlinks should allow you to use the progress bar with stock suspension and be noise free. Im using it with eibachs and the gt spec subframe reinforcement and no banging or clunks.
I took a look today and the rubber bushings in the rear are totally dried out and shot. When I upgrade the rear bar, I'll probably also grab some beefier stock-length Moog endlinks too.

At one point I bought some Energy Suspension PU bushings for the front swaybar, but realized quickly that installation is a subframe-out job, or else a huge pain, so didn't bother. Also curious how much they'd actually improve handling with a stock front swaybar anyways (again, emphasis on my dislike for silly mods that take your money and return little performance).

Upvote 0
Front swaybar bushings can be done with the subframe in, it just takes a whoooole lot of patience! And a ratcheting spanner. And contortionist fingers! The bush brackets have slots so you only have to get the front bolt out and the rear bolt loose, then the bracket can come out and the bush should slide out.

Small improvement but they do sharpen up the front end, especially turning in to tighter corners.

Upvote 0
Back