Aftermarket or OEM TPMS Sensor

:
2019 CX-5 Touring
I am just curious as to what sensors other members are using for their second or main set of wheels. I currently have the OEM sensors in my 19" Niche's and got a set of Falken Wildpeak tires, that have not been installed, for my stock 17" wheels. I do all my wheel and tire business through discount tire and know that they sell them and don't mind buying the OEM sensors but just wanted to see if there were any other options.

Tirerack.com has aftermarket sensors for $55 ea. and free shipping. I've got a '16 w/o sensors so I can't vouch for them.

I am just curious as to what sensors other members are using for their second or main set of wheels. I currently have the OEM sensors in my 19" Niche's and got a set of Falken Wildpeak tires, that have not been installed, for my stock 17" wheels. I do all my wheel and tire business through discount tire and know that they sell them and don't mind buying the OEM sensors but just wanted to see if there were any other options.
Autel MX-Sensor 2 in 1 (315MHz + 433MHz) Clamp-in 100% Cloneable TPMS Programmable Sensor is a popular aftermarket sensor to be used by many. It needs an Autel wireless programming tool to quickly update sensors to be Mazda TPMS compatible by the seller or by tire installer, and there’s no relearn process required.

A665E1EA-3A8D-4A73-B94F-D1CE6750BC70.jpeg

Last edited:
The Autel sensors would be a safe bet.

Personally, this is what I did:

I would figure out the OEM Mazda part numbers of the sensors, then search that part number on eBay. You should get some results that show much cheaper options. In some cases, you can use the sensors from other vehicles (like the Mazda6 or CX-3, for example).

I did the same thing when I swapped DM-V2s onto my OEM wheels and needed a second set of sensors for my summer wheels. I was able to find a full set of OEM Mazda sensors with a similar P/N (BBM2-37-140A vs the OEM BBM2-37-140B) for $50 USD. No special programming required, and no TPMS warning lights even after swapping my winter wheels back on last night.

Original post here.

In my case, the OEM part number is BBM2-37-140B, and I was able to find a set of 4 sensors on eBay with the part number BBM2-37-140A for $50. Both sets of sensors are OEM Mazda. I've been running the "A" sensors for about a year and a half with no issues.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into the Autel and A model sensors. its interesting that you can use the older model sensors and they do not need to be programmed, but if it works that is awesome.

Edit: I just noticed Tirerack recommends BBM2-37-140B. I'll probably end up going with those or the A model and picking them up off ebay as they are way cheaper.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into the Autel and A model sensors. its interesting that you can use the older model sensors and they do not need to be programmed, but if it works that is awesome.

Edit: I just noticed Tirerack recommends BBM2-37-140B. I'll probably end up going with those or the A model and picking them up off ebay as they are way cheaper.
Please note that the part number for 2017 ~ 2020 Mazda CX-5 OEM TPMS sensor is BHA4-37-140 or BHA4-37-140A, not BBM2-37-140B. If you enter part number BBM2-37-140B into any Mazda parts website, you’ll see a warning message saying “This part does not fit your 2019 Mazda CX-5”!

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!

38EBCB0F-51EC-4E39-8279-F21887F7BD98.jpeg

@yrwei52

Thanks for the link to the previous discussion. It seems while the CX-5 GEN2 is equipped with more advance TPMS sensors (direct read) the vehicle (currently) does not utilize this new feature (read each tire pressure and display it). So using the older style TPMS sensor should work just fine as it provides a subset of information (low) and the vehicle does use that information for the light in the dash. Or at least that is my take on things. I did however update the knowledge sharing document to reflect the more accurate part information.

deep in that thread however someone did find that TireRack does sell an aftermarket solution at a considerable price reduction:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...r-2017-cx-5-91-74-each.123861243/post-6581331

oh and if anyone wants to lengthen the life of the sensors (not as much abuse)...

Last edited:
@yrwei52

Thanks for the link to the previous discussion. It seems while the CX-5 GEN2 is equipped with more advance TPMS sensors (direct read) the vehicle (currently) does not utilize this new feature (read each tire pressure and display it). So using the older style TPMS sensor should work just fine as it provides a subset of information (low) and the vehicle does use that information for the light in the dash. Or at least that is my take on things. I did however update the knowledge sharing document to reflect the more accurate part information.

deep in that thread however someone did find that TireRack does sell an aftermarket solution at a considerable price reduction:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...r-2017-cx-5-91-74-each.123861243/post-6581331

oh and if anyone wants to lengthen the life of the sensors (not as much abuse)...
The TPMS sensor currently sold by Tire Rack which is said to be compatible to older BBM2-37-140B, looks different from OEM TPMS sensor BHA4-37-140A which is supposed to be made by Pirelli. And the price is not much lower than OEM.

CCF6C9D6-E6E0-4E1A-BD0B-2440E3CCC9C6.jpeg

46147C13-C386-4B19-8BBB-A0827AC188E8.jpeg

99168030-1DD2-44A0-BEEE-C2B813965EB1.jpeg

If you want aftermarket TPMS sensors, it may be better off to get Autel MX-Sensor 2 in 1 (315MHz + 433MHz) Clamp-in TPMS Programmable Sensor for about $25 ~ $30 each. Just make sure they have been programmed to be Mazda TPMS compatible. As for getting used ones, the only thing I’d worry about is how much battery life they may still have.

Yeah that Tire Pressure Sensor Bypass is effective but funny! :)

Keep in mind that my example was based on my experience with my CX-9. I do not own a CX-5. I was simply suggesting that you find out what the part number is for one of your OEM TPMS sensors, then use that number to see if you can find a viable alternative.

Also, mazdaswag shows that the BHA4-37-140A sensor is compatible with the CX-3, CX-5, CX-9, MX-5, and Mazda6. The BBM2-37-140B sensor appears to have been superseded by the BHA4-37-140A sensor. If you choose to buy the BBM2-37-140A/B sensors, they should still work, but you need to check the ad/item description to see if they are refurbished/used/old inventory. Until someone can confirm that the BBM2-37-140B/A sensor works on the 2019 CX-5, it's probably safer to go for the BHA4 sensors or the Autel sensors.

It's possible that Tirerack is recommending B sensors to clear out old stock.

You may wish to consider Costco, if you are a member.

For my recently purchased 2020 Signature, I purchased a second set of wheels off of Craigslist, then purchased Blizzak tires from Costco and had them install new TPMS sensors on the wheels. Price was competitive and if anything goes wonky they will fix it.

I just don’t use sensors on my winter tires. I check the tire pressures every few weeks, or when we have big swings in temperature.

Back