2017~2024 Additional Cup Holders?

I'm wondering if anybody has found a gizmo or gizmos that expands the front cup holders from two to three or four without interfering too much with the console controls or jutting too far into the seats while fitting in that tight space. My objective is to hold more bottles, cups, mask, santizer, whatnot, not a phone or other device.

I've seen a few on-line that might work but it's hard to tell if they'll fit in that tight space. Any recommendations based on real world experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
After 132 views nobody has any thoughts on this so I think I'll just order up one of these and see how it works:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

This one looks the most promising in terms of fitting the tight space without obstructing controls and not impinging too much into the seating area. This picture doesn't show how the top swivels with a cup holder both below and above. It might require some jury rigging for a firm fit in the Mazda cup holder from what I gather from the one star reviews. We'll see. I'll let y'all know. If it works well I'll probably buy a second one.

I'm kind of envisioning you with a wet vac trying to clean up 128 ounces of Mega Gulp that got knocked out with your elbow. Let us know how it works out.

I'm kind of envisioning you with a wet vac trying to clean up 128 ounces of Mega Gulp that got knocked out with your elbow. Let us know how it works out.
Well, I don't drink those or anything close to it. As noted in the OP, it might have only a mask in it. Maybe up to a 16 ounce bottle of water, tops. I'll let you know how it works out.
How about these?

You can store all kinds of stuff.
I saw those. I don't want something that impinges on the seating area. It's just a preference; I'm 6'1", 175 lbs., not a large person drinking too many big gulps. I also don't need extra storage. I've found the 4 cupholders in my van to be convenient when traveling with my wife. That's all I'm looking for. If you buy one of those let us know how it works out. There are a couple different kinds in that style.

Well, I don't drink those or anything close to it. As noted in the OP, it might have only a mask in it. Maybe up to a 16 ounce bottle of water, tops. I'll let you know how it works out.

I saw those. I don't want something that impinges on the seating area. It's just a preference; I'm 6'1", 175 lbs., not a large person drinking too many big gulps. I also don't need extra storage. I've found the 4 cupholders in my van to be convenient when traveling with my wife. That's all I'm looking for. If you buy one of those let us know how it works out. There are a couple different kinds in that style.

The door bins are huge dude. 👍

The door bins are huge dude. 👍
Yeah, they are a decent size. My driver's side is filled with road maps. That might seem quaint, but the next time you're on an expressway where traffic has come to a stop and the GPS isn't telling you how far ahead the accident might be or where construction ends, you might find them handy in getting off and taking the surface roads for awhile.

But I digress. The door pocket cup holders are more or less in name only like in every other car I've owned that had them.

Yeah, they are a decent size. My driver's side is filled with road maps. That might seem quaint, but the next time you're on an expressway where traffic has come to stop and the GPS isn't telling you how far ahead the accident might be or where construction ends, you might find them handy in getting off and taking the surface roads for awhile.

But I digress. The door pocket cup holders are more or less in name only like in every other car I've owned that had them.

Are you an outside sales rep.? Sounds like you have a lot of stuff in your car.

Are you an outside sales rep.? Sounds like you have a lot of stuff in your car.
I'm retired. Less stuff added than many, I'd presume. Here's what I've added to the vehicle: zero sticker or dealer options, zero add-ons or treatments, two collapsible crates, front seat WeatherTechs and a WeatherTech cargo mat, and the soon to arrive cup holder which might get sent back depending on how it works.

That's not counting the the pre-existing maps, a Garmin GPS and my golf clubs. ;) I'll give it a Nu Finish treatment and a quickie interior detail before the snow flies.

I'm more of a less is more, form follows function kinda guy

I'm retired. Less stuff added than many, I'd presume. Here's what I've added to the vehicle: zero sticker or dealer options, zero add-ons or treatments, two collapsible crates, front seat WeatherTechs and a WeatherTech cargo mat, and the soon to arrive cup holder which might get sent back depending on how it works.

That's not counting the the pre-existing maps, a Garmin GPS and my golf clubs. ;) I'll give it a Nu Finish treatment and a quickie interior detail before the snow flies.

I'm more of a less is more, form follows function kinda guy

Sorry for the confusion, I meant you keep a lot of stuff in your front seat area.

Well, I don't drink those or anything close to it. As noted in the OP, it might have only a mask in it. Maybe up to a 16 ounce bottle of water, tops.
That ‘cup holder doubler’ thing looks rather inelegant, imho. Some alternatives to consider:

Each of the 4 car doors has a bottle holder. You can keep your bottled water there, but obviously you should keep the caps fastened.

The rear seat also has two standard cup holders in the fold-down center armrest, fwiw.

I use a cheap magnetic mount to secure my phone in a convenient place that doesn’t use up a cup holder, space in the console bin, or space in the shelf under the HVAC controls (so I can keep napkins or such there) ... and allows for easy routing of the USB cable that lets the cable drop out of sight (between the console and my seat) when I don’t need it ...
CC13544F-5AC4-4CD3-A6D5-4340A37D2739.jpeg

I bought a cheap, surprisingly genius aftermarket custom fit storage shelf / organizer for the console bin, and cut a hole in the bottom of one section of it large enough for a vertically oriented bottle of hand sanitizer...
F6230006-D20E-4ED8-BE37-F3A09F15F9B4.jpeg

The masks I just loop over my shifter.

Good luck.

Stuff:

HIGH FLYING Car Center Armrest... https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

SCOSCHE MAGDMB MagicMount Universal Magnetic Mount Holder for Mobile Devices In Frustration Free Packaging, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Further recommend these AWESOME magnetic USB cables. ONE cable powers all your devices ... lightning, micro-usb, or USB3. Just stick one of the included tips in every device you’ve got; and you are golden. When I’m not needing power for my iPhone, I just hand the cable over to my girlfriend so she can charge her Android. No swapping out cable types; no need to run more than one. So very cool:

Smart&Cool GenX 3 in 1 Magnetic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
What about something like this? It's designed for strollers, but I'm sure you could clip it onto the door pocket and still have room for maps. The only problem might be the whether it interferes with the driver's left foot (or the passenger's right, if installed on the passenger's front door).

EDIT: I suppose another suggestion would be to relocate the maps from the door pocket to the pocket on the back of the passenger seat. The maps should still be accessible, and the door pocket would be free to use.

So, under the headings of "Excruciating Detail" and "TMI", I give you the following review of the item pictured in the link in post #2. First some pictures as it applies to a 2020 CX-5 Touring:

1600977374090.png

I started out with three layers of the included stick-on pads to approximate a tight fit, with four applied to the bottom to raise it a bit. As I was writing this I tried moving the bottom pads to the sides to go four-wide. That's better, gets rid of nearly all of the tippyness.

1600982799322.png

This second photo shows it hanging over the bolster. My angle in that photo is not the best. It hangs about half way over the bolster, not all the way as in this photo, with the expansion holders fully collapsed. It's not tall enough to swing over the console in the least bit. A hack that would raise it up to swing over the console a bit would surely make it too tippy.

Notes:
  • The lower cup holder holds a 12 oz. pop can sungly, nothing wider. Similarly sized water bottles should be fine there.
  • There is a void below where a can or bottle sits in the lower holder for loose change or other small whatnot.
  • Full 12 oz. cans in the upper and lower were quite stable. Similar water bottles would be fine I imagine.
  • I tried a 22 oz. Gatorade in the upper with nothing in the lower. It doesn't tip but it does flex quite a bit. Big Gulps should not apply--besides spillage, something that heavy in the upper might bust it off. I have no such concerns since I don't buy such things.
  • Both the swing arm and the expansion holders on the upper have detents which should minimize swinging and flopping. I've not ripped a turn at 40 MPH but I imagine that's not advised with anything in the upper.
  • When I swing it around to the drivers side it nestles against my leg. Not bad. But I'm a pretty skinny guy. I wouldn't have a problem with that if my wife is in the car while keeping it on the passenger side flying solo.
  • The sticky pads are pretty sticky. I don't anticipate a lot of pulling out and putting back back so they should last awhile.
Let's see--coming back from the golf course with it on the passenger side there was 1) a left over Gatorade in the OEM, 2) smokes, lighter and the mask in the lower and 3) a couple balls to be washed in the garage sink in the upper. OK.

It's not an optimal solution but I'll keep it. I won't be buying a second one. Having one OEM still open for that Gatorade is best for me. Also, having a second on my wife's side when traveling together would surely annoy her.

Attachments

• 1600980775415.png
    1600980775415.png
    533.8 KB · Views: 178
Back