Active Driving Display and Settings Tab Disappeared (2020 CX-5)

Davidiot

Ballistic Reentry Vehicle
:
2020 CX-5 GT PP
So, turned on my car today and noticed my HUD (Active Driving Display) wasn’t on.

Checked the settings tab in the infotainment ... and there was no more AD-DISPLAY tab.

This is with a 2020 CX-5 GT,
OS version 70.00.367 NA N.

Turned car (and infotainment) off.

Turned car back on. Still no HUD.

Turned car (and infotainment) back off.

Turned car on a third time (after plugging in my phone, which I noticed was almost out of power when I went to search this issue).

HUD was back.
[Edited to add:] But my settings were wiped.

No idea if CarPlay connection instead of Bluetooth had anything to do with it.

Any one else experience this?

Last edited:
So, turned on my car today and noticed my HUD (Active Driving Display) wasn’t on.

Checked the settings tab in the infotainment ... and there was no more AD-DISPLAY tab.

Turned car on a third time (after plugging in my phone, which I noticed was almost out of power when I went to search this issue).

HUD was back.

I haven't seen this in my rig. But that behaviour makes me think loose connection or pooched/failing HUD unit. I suspect the infotainment shows the settings when it detects the HUD. No HUD detected, means no AD-options.

HUD was back.

Interesting plot twist. My 2020 did this today. I did a car reset and it was back.:rolleyes:

My experience with this poorly implemented software of MazdaConnect is that the bootup process is not very solid (asynchronous programming). During the process, it needs to check/connect all the devices previously connected.... cellPhone/BT, CarPlay/AndriodAuto/GPS, etc... If any one of those runs into delay (due to poor connection or whatever), the bootup process got messed up (poor error handling) and get into a wrong state. While booting up, if the driver puts into "R" gear, at which point the backup camera video need to show up, this interrupts the bootup also.

I have dealt with this software since my '14 Mazda3 was bought new in 2013. It has gone thru at least 10 versions of updates.... it was very bad in early days. It failed one way or the other every a few days. And, I only had GPS and cellPhone connected to it.
My wife kept reminding me. "Be patient. Don't touch anything. Wait until it finishes booting..."
It helps. :(

From my perspective, it is much better now, even though you might not agree with me. It is relative. More devices connected to this software, more chance of failure.

I have a 2020 Signature and what the original post says is exactly what happened to me. Got in the car, no reverse camera, no HUD. When I stopped at my destination, I started digging deeper with the car still running but parked. None of the settings would allow me to get into them to make changes, the tab for the HUD was missing.
I went back home and parked the car. Went out later for another drive and everything was back like normal. The only thing I noticed was the Service countdown reset.

Called Mazda to have them look at it. Car was booked for the Tailgate recall and I had to explain several times that I was parked, this and that. Technician's notes told me to make sure I was not driving, issues not found. Car was inside the shop less than 40 minutes and they repaired the Tailgate and did diagnostics?? I complained and they told me to bring it back if it happens again.

Has anyone had this happen on more than 1 occasion?

I have a 2020 Signature and what the original post says is exactly what happened to me. Got in the car, no reverse camera, no HUD. When I stopped at my destination, I started digging deeper with the car still running but parked. None of the settings would allow me to get into them to make changes, the tab for the HUD was missing.
I went back home and parked the car. Went out later for another drive and everything was back like normal. The only thing I noticed was the Service countdown reset.

Called Mazda to have them look at it. Car was booked for the Tailgate recall and I had to explain several times that I was parked, this and that. Technician's notes told me to make sure I was not driving, issues not found. Car was inside the shop less than 40 minutes and they repaired the Tailgate and did diagnostics?? I complained and they told me to bring it back if it happens again.

Has anyone had this happen on more than 1 occasion?

When I test drove a 2020 GTR before purchasing, the HUD wasn't working. Got back to the dealership and told the sales guy and then it was working after we restarted the car. Thought I was just not seeing it originally due to my polarized sunglasses, but seeing that you had this issue too makes me believe it wasn't originally working.

Hasn't happened since and we bought the car in November.

The best your dealer will do is to update your software to newest available.
That is, if your vehicle is still under b2b warranty.

The other day, on our Mazda3 ('14 after many updates) the backup camera video did not show up when putting it into "R" gear.
I shut the vehicle off, restarted it, same problem. Did soft-reset. No help.
Waited patiently to finish booting. Same problem.

Let it sit for a while (> 30 minutes), and the problem went away. It has not come back since.
Hard to debug this sort of issues.

Note: the software on Mazda does a quick reboot within 30 minutes of prior shutoff. Sometimes, let it sit for a long time helps clear whatever bad from last bootup.

The best your dealer will do is to update your software to newest available.
That is, if your vehicle is still under b2b warranty.

The other day, on our Mazda3 ('14 after many updates) the backup camera video did not show up when putting it into "R" gear.
I shut the vehicle off, restarted it, same problem. Did soft-reset. No help.
Waited patiently to finish booting. Same problem.

Let it sit for a while (> 30 minutes), and the problem went away. It has not come back since.
Hard to debug this sort of issues.

Note: the software on Mazda does a quick reboot within 30 minutes of prior shutoff. Sometimes, let it sit for a long time helps clear whatever bad from last bootup.
When does it boot up, with ignition off? Or waiting 30mins after starting?

Back