About to buy 2016.5 CX-5 GT. Questions re: retrofit Android Auto/Car Play install

I think I’m about to buy this 2016.5 CX-5. It has Bose/Nav (although I really wanted plain “premium audio” bc of upgrade possibilities, but that’s mostly beside the point right now). Anyway:

What I really want, as an end result of whatever factory/aftermarket installs:
A. Touchable Google maps on the factory screen
B. Touchable Spotify on same
C. Touchable respond to texts (and then respond with voice) on same

Questions:
1. I assume that the paid factory AA/CP upgrade will enable iPhone interface for the above, right?
2. If my Samsung is connected via Android Auto (= can’t touch screen if car is driving), can I still play with maps/spotify/text touching my phone?
3. I am also assuming that installing an aftermarket head unit (with AA,and maybe better audio) will mess things up in all kinds of ways, especially because of Bose, right?

Or should I really get an iPhone so I can do most of the stuff from the nav screen while driving? In the alternative, how much of a pain is it to do all this via the knob/mouse/controller?

Note: I have spent hours reading all the infotainment/AA/CP threads. I want to make sure my info is updated before I drop down $22k in a couple of days.

Ranger29...
I can't add too much since I only had the AA/CP upgrade installed ($400) in my 2016.5 GT about a week ago and it's my wife's vehicle (she has an iPhone), so I've only today been able to use it with my Android phone...
I didn't play around with the map, just saw that it loads Google maps right up. Messed around with Pandora using the control knob...easy enough. Used the voice-texting to have a message read to me and to reply.
Trying to avoid "using" the phone itself if possible...may not be 100%.

I find the Bose audio to be more than adequate for my needs.

Kudos for spending hours on AA/CP threads! I'm playing catch-up since the car and safety features were key for me, and AA/CP is the cherry on top!

But...I will suggest you can maybe do a little better than $22k...I picked mine up in PA (much lower doc fees than NJ!) before Xmas with 42k miles AND the iActivSense package for less.
PM me if you want additional detail.

Thanks Raprider. Yeah, it's $22k with all the fees, after starting with $17,900. They kind of blindsided me tonight with the salesperson starting to talk actual pricing. I thought I would start negotiating with different financing people after sales confirmed the interest (I didn't have my "negotiating points" in front of me!), but I guess at this dealer it's all in one person. Perhaps because I'm paying cash...

Anyway, I ran the numbers/options/tips tonight, and I'm thinking tomorrow, as give-back for paying their $699 doc fee, I get:

- A second key/fob (The leasee only turned in one. Certified Pre-Owned means next to new, right?). = ~$100 to them.
- Weather mats. Just because. They're cheap, I want them, why not ask them to throw them in. = ~$100 to them.
- Roof rack installation parts and labor. The sales guy and I talked about this, cost is ~ $400, I found a $500 off coupon off of the $22k, he said I could use it for the roof rack... I'm figuring about half that for the roof rack, if that makes sense.). = ~$200 to them, kind of.

As I (cocktail napkin) run this, they are then out ~$400, but I'm paying $700 in doc fees, so they are still ahead $300.

After this, I pay in full for parts and labor to install Android Auto/Car Play (will probably run ~$400).

Sorry for so much financial stuff in response to a technical question. Good to know that Google Maps loaded up well with an Android with your upgrade. I'm trying to avoid "using the phone" too. I thought this car had some (all?) parts of i-Activesense (this one has Smart City Brake Support for example), but on the 35th glance (and I'm tired), maybe it's worth it to hold off on this one and wait.

Just a note (at least with my 2019) Android Auto doesn't let you use the car's touch screen to control the maps :(

You will have modify in order for touch screen to work. There are many mazda3 forums where the instructions are listed. Stock software version disables touch as soon as you start moving above 5 mph. Any software update will wipe out your mod and you may need to install new. If you get a chance to try out the knob arrangement via a rental - do that. It takes getting used to but is really good and I don't see a need for touching the screen at all. But AA / CP will be different experience.

The car may also have the older firmware which is easy to 'hack'. You should really check that out the next time you are there.

Just to be clear here, the replies above are discussing two different things...

1) Touch screen use (at all) while moving: Yes this needs the Mazda AIO hacks to enable use of the touch screen for ANYthing while the car is moving.

2) The use of the touchscreen for Google Maps through Android Auto: This does not work (for me) even with the hack.

Thanks Raprider. Yeah, it's $22k with all the fees, after starting with $17,900. They kind of blindsided me tonight with the salesperson starting to talk actual pricing. I thought I would start negotiating with different financing people after sales confirmed the interest (I didn't have my "negotiating points" in front of me!), but I guess at this dealer it's all in one person. Perhaps because I'm paying cash...

Anyway, I ran the numbers/options/tips tonight, and I'm thinking tomorrow, as give-back for paying their $699 doc fee, I get:

- A second key/fob (The leasee only turned in one. Certified Pre-Owned means next to new, right?). = ~$100 to them.
- Weather mats. Just because. They're cheap, I want them, why not ask them to throw them in. = ~$100 to them.
- Roof rack installation parts and labor. The sales guy and I talked about this, cost is ~ $400, I found a $500 off coupon off of the $22k, he said I could use it for the roof rack... I'm figuring about half that for the roof rack, if that makes sense.). = ~$200 to them, kind of.

As I (cocktail napkin) run this, they are then out ~$400, but I'm paying $700 in doc fees, so they are still ahead $300.

After this, I pay in full for parts and labor to install Android Auto/Car Play (will probably run ~$400).

Sorry for so much financial stuff in response to a technical question. Good to know that Google Maps loaded up well with an Android with your upgrade. I'm trying to avoid "using the phone" too. I thought this car had some (all?) parts of i-Activesense (this one has Smart City Brake Support for example), but on the 35th glance (and I'm tired), maybe it's worth it to hold off on this one and wait.

$17,900 is a pretty darn good price for a CPO GT with the Tech package!
I only see a couple on Edmunds for less.
Wayne Mazda seems to have 2 Black ones with mileage in the 30s, both with the i-Activesense, both priced over $21k.

The i-ActiveSense package includes adaptive cruise control, Smart Brake Support (works at higher speeds than the Smart City system), lane departure warning and automatic high beam headlight control (I really like this feature and the adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning).

The Technology package features the navigation system (kind of useless with AA/CP), the Smart City Brake Support System, adaptive LED headlights, LED running lights, LED foglights, LED taillights and an auto-dimming rearview mirror.

You could very easily hop over the river to PA...doc fees there ran me $150 I think.
Definitely demand the second key fob...they're more than $100 to replace!
I couldn't get my guy to throw in the all-weather mats...bought a generic set at WallyWorld.
I don't have a roof rack. Have one on my Forester and Highlander and never used, so...
Good deal on finding a coupon!

Good luck and keep me posted!

Just to be clear here, the replies above are discussing two different things...

1) Touch screen use (at all) while moving: Yes this needs the Mazda AIO hacks to enable use of the touch screen for ANYthing while the car is moving.

2) The use of the touchscreen for Google Maps through Android Auto: This does not work (for me) even with the hack.

Thanks for clarifying RedBaron!

Back