A/C compressor broken

ZoomZoomMD

:
Mazda CX5 Touring
Hi everyone,

I have a 2014 Cx 5 with 80K miles. My air conditioner hasn't been blowing cold for a while. I took it to the local Mazda dealer and they checked the system: performed leak test with dye and passed, no leak was found. They told me the A/C compressor was not engaging. I was given an estimate of between $1100 and $1300 depending on if I chose the Mazda branded equipment or aftermarket. I called up my local mechanic for price comparison and he seemed very surprised that the A/C compressor would break in such a newish care.

Seems like this is a known issue with Mazda? It looks like they extended the 3 year/36k mile warranty to 5 years/60K miles on the A/c? I found that online somewhere, not sure if it's accurate. Maybe I just have bad luck.

Thanks.

⋯ They told me the A/C compressor was not engaging.
AC compressor doesn't engage usually caused by other components, such as the compressor clutch, or some relays, controlling the AC compressor. I found this dealer told you needing a new AC compressor is suspicious. And this should be the first thing to verify and not the leak test. I'd found a reputable AC shop and have them to check it out. Don't mention your dealer's finding just tell the shop your AC seems not working.

Don't know much about extended warranty on Mazda's AC system. The AC system in CX-5 is usually pretty good. I only saw many complaints on 2nd-gen CX-9 as the AC system has lesser capacity for bigger cabin. But AC compressor is a reliable component nowadays.

Yeah must be electrical controlling the clutch of the compressor or the compressor clutch itself. That should be checked first.

I once went to an AC repair shop to have my AC system checked. They told me that there was no Freon so they have to refill it. They even showed to me the pressure gauge. I didn't not believed them and went to a different shop and it turned out that my initial impressions was correct. The positive wire was detached from the compressor. A simple solution. The nerve of the technician to even show to me the pressure gauge. I bet they did not even opened the valve of the gauge so it will reflect an empty charge.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Dealers in general may sometimes not take the time to truly check for leaks. You can check for leaks DIY at home in a dark garage with something like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/UV-Leak-Detection-Kit/36156585. You can take your time and be tedious. Other products include a detection, freon, and seal all-in-one. Or go to a reputable mechanic versed in AC components.

If its truly the AC compressor...you can buy one from a reputable online or ebay seller obtaining them from salvaged mazdas...with warranty. I'd get one from a 2015+ model with low miles like 30k. LKQ provides good prices. Have a good mechanic install it.

FYI, the best preventive method for you AC system is to actually use it. It keeps all the seals conditioned and oiled. So once a month I'd at least run it for 15 minutes or so.

With a car out of warranty I would have these kinds of repairs done by a reputable third party. 4 years and 80k miles is not "new-ish"

Two things to check first. A/C compressor relay fuse and the Compressor clutch.
Can't see the compressor dieing this early.

Thank you everybody for your input. I'm taking it to my local mechanic on Monday and I'll report back.

If this does, hopefully, end up being a fuse or something relatively minor do you think I have reason to complain to Mazda about an incomplete evaluation that would have cost me a significant amount of money? Seems like laziness on the part of the dealer if this does end up being minor.

Maybe, wait and see what the verdict ends up being. It could in fact be the compressor. If it turns out to be a relay fuse or something else minor then you can complain.
Probably won't do much good, dealers don't want to spend a lot of time diagnosing. The money's in replacing.

Hope it does turn out to be something minor. Compressors should last a lot longer but the way things are made today, who knows.

A couple years back I had the compressor clutch apparently seize on my Infiniti and literally break off the AC pulley. I proceeded to hear it completely vent to atmosphere... it made a sound like the turbo waste-gate on my old Cordia. Fortunately it was under warranty but would have cost $2K on that car. I took into dealer that same day. Service writer said "we'll have to troubleshoot this".... here... "a lot easier" as I placed the broken clutch on the counter... "this fell off" :)

A couple years back I had the compressor clutch apparently seize on my Infiniti and literally break off the AC pulley. I proceeded to hear it completely vent to atmosphere... it made a sound like the turbo waste-gate on my old Cordia. Fortunately it was under warranty but would have cost $2K on that car. I took into dealer that same day. Service writer said "we'll have to troubleshoot this".... here... "a lot easier" as I placed the broken clutch on the counter... "this fell off" :)

Pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh to him, like a waste gate! ;)

This is what I brought up to the letter in all those "should I get the warranty? " threads. OP, honestly? I'd go 3rd party shop with a good reputation, but always crosscheck prices with dealer. If it's close, dealer all the way.

Hi everyone,

Went to local mechanic today, he confirmed the compressor is shot. Unfortunate since the car is 4 years old, but this stuff happens. Price $300 cheaper at local mechanic so I'm going with them.

I've heard it's best to go to the best AC specialty shop you can find. I believe a number of mechanics sublet this work after the customer leaves anyway.

They always give you a 1year warranty, which expires right at the beginning of the following summer, just in time for another 'compressor' replacement.

When my compressor clutch messed up I bought a used one from LKQ for like $80, low mileage and had it installed at a local shop I've used for like $200.. that included proper drying and filling of the system (machine).

When my compressor clutch messed up I bought a used one from LKQ for like $80, low mileage and had it installed at a local shop I've used for like $200.. that included proper drying and filling of the system (machine).
I thought you fixed the problem with a new clutch kit from eBay so that you don’t have to touch the freon part?

I thought you fixed the problem with a new clutch kit from eBay so that you don’t have to touch the freon part?
No because the kit was half the price and then what if there was another problem...

Back