'90 1.6L to '99 1.8L Swap (500 Mile Review 4/30/07)

(nana)After a faulty oil pressure sender (that was a serious PITA to replace on the 1.8), and a slight miswiring of the CAS extension cable, she fired up at 11:50P Sat. Yaaay! She definately has a different sound from the 1.6L.

I need to finish up the new intake and run a wire for the VICS actuator to the MS and she'll be ready to go. Now I get to tune it all over again starting Sunday.

As for me, I'm gonna finish this Red Stripe (cheers)

With the exception of a wire (and driver circuit) from the ECU to the VICS solenoid she's finished! I took her out for a shake down run today and experienced a nice increase in power from the 1.6L. However, I minimized the "romping" as my WBEGO sensor wasn't functioning properly and I wanted to avoid any sort of lean condition throughout the powerband. I think I've got it figured out and I'll get a bit of tuning in this week before next weekend's autocross.

On to the images, the last peice that was required was a custom throttle cable bracket. I skipped the fabrication of this peice and went with Flyin' Miata's because A)time is running out and B)it was $12. Besides, it looks better than anything I can make.

FM_Brak.JPG

And last, but not least, the finished product. I finished the intake this morning. It's not the best by any means, but it works just fine for now.
done.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work.

Do you have any plans for the 1.6L?

kcbhiw said:
(nana)After a faulty oil pressure sender (that was a serious PITA to replace on the 1.8), and a slight miswiring of the CAS extension cable, she fired up at 11:50P Sat. Yaaay! She definately has a different sound from the 1.6L.

I need to finish up the new intake and run a wire for the VICS actuator to the MS and she'll be ready to go. Now I get to tune it all over again starting Sunday.

As for me, I'm gonna finish this Red Stripe (cheers)
Word...Red Stripe FTW!
Did you ever get that rum I sent you via Scott?

Prodigy said:
Nice work.

Do you have any plans for the 1.6L?

I'm going to hold on to it.

JDM-P5 said:
Word...Red Stripe FTW!
Did you ever get that rum I sent you via Scott?

I did. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. :(
Once you get the project done...treat yourself to a nice rum & coke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin, the discoloration on the top of the radiator near the filler cap looks like the plastic is old and getting weak. radiator barn has some good inexpensive all metal 2 row replacements... $140 shipped, real good deal, and more than enough to keep it cool. (no affiliation)

good luck with that motor... there's a few 99 motors that had thrust bearing issues causing crank walks.... was a factory assembly defect

MiaTurbo said:
Kevin, the discoloration on the top of the radiator near the filler cap looks like the plastic is old and getting weak. radiator barn has some good inexpensive all metal 2 row replacements... $140 shipped, real good deal, and more than enough to keep it cool. (no affiliation)

Bookmarked. Thanks for the info. I've still got the one from the challenge car sitting in the basement.

TheMAN said:
good luck with that motor... there's a few 99 motors that had thrust bearing issues causing crank walks.... was a factory assembly defect

Yeah, I'm aware of that. This one is one of the early ones too as the VIN number ends in something like 1004. However, it's generally accepted that if an affected engine has made it 30k miles, it'll be OK. This one has 120k.

you did replace the timing belt and water pump right? the valves will probably need to be adjusted also as it uses solid lifters

TheMAN said:
you did replace the timing belt and water pump right? the valves will probably need to be adjusted also as it uses solid lifters

WP and timing belt are new. Checking the valve lash totally skipped my mind. I'll do that.

JDM-P5 said:
Annnnnnnd?
How is she running!?

She's running great. I'm having a bit of an issue with VICS activation, but other than that, it's pretty bitchin'. I got boned at this past weekend's auto-x due to lacking tires. They're pretty old.

*cough* bump for exhaust pics and vid ;) Get that sucker on, I wanna hear it

500 Mile Review

Power is awsome and I can't stop driving the car! However, it turns out that I've had my VICS actuation backwards this whole time - I just noticed it tonight. oops!

Compression test yielded 218-218-218-216 (1-2-3-4). Sweeeet.

However, I'm not happy with the consumption of 2 quarts of oil every 500 miles. I'll have to investigate this further. :(

Furthermore, I think the oil burning has been messing with my WBO2 readings. The logs show that i've been hitting my targets, but the plugs indicate the engine to have been running pretty lean. ARGGGG

By the way this is what my 1.8 swap looks like. (peep)

Attachments

• behold.jpg
    behold.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 2,189
  • behold2.jpg
    behold2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 2,738
pluto316 said:
By the way this is what my 1.8 swap looks like. (peep)

Did you get those idle issues worked out with that duct tape ;). The camo is kinda cool, though, hehe.

Back