5x115 vs 5x114.3 debate

:
2019 CX-9 GT
On my hunt for a set of 22” wheels I found some that I really like but they are sold out everywhere across North America. I contacted the manufacturer and they said they have stopped making that particular spec as not many people want 22” in that bolt pattern, and instead just recommend using a 5x115 wheel as they do this all day long with no problems.

I had never heard of this before so I did some digging, and it turns out it’s a highly contested issue...

Some say it’s totally fine as long as you use hub centric rings and tighten the wheel bolts down in proper order and spec.

Others say that the .7mm difference is enough to cause stress on the wheel studs, and the wheel will never center properly causing inevitable failure leading to your untimely demise in a fiery crash.

Would love to hear anyone’s thoughts or experiences with this!

This is kind of a non-answer, but.. use your best judgement. You're the one incurring all the risk, after all.

If it were me, as long as the wheels were hubcentric (or hubcentric rings were used), I'd use them. But I would be sure to torque them to the proper spec, and retorque them as necessary. With that said, I'd only do this if the wheels were discontinued/rare/hard to find, or if I could only find this particular fitment in the wheel style I wanted. Otherwise I'd go for a similar looking wheel from a different manufacturer with the correct lug pattern. Here's some reading (but you may have already come across this in your research).

The original wheels are lug-centric. The conical seats on the lug nuts center the wheels on the hub. I agree with nj.

The original wheels are lug-centric. The conical seats on the lug nuts center the wheels on the hub. I agree with nj.
Yup, the hub just speeds up the alignment. The lugs seat the wheel and hold it in place.

Ya I’m leaning towards no myself, especially because this is my family vehicle. Breaks my heart a bit though because I love these wheels I found. I do have a second option that I like that has the proper bolt pattern, just don’t love the look of them as much as these ones...oh well

First choice was the Verde Axis. Second choice is the Asanti ABL 13. Very similar looking but I slightly prefer the Verde which is no longer available in 5x114.3

What about the Avant Garde M580, Vorsteiner V-FF 101, or the Niche Misano? They look pretty similar in style.

M580:
M580-Satin-Silver-1000-700x700.jpg

V-FF 101:
VORSTEINER_VFF-101.jpg

Misano:
Niche%20Misano_A1-1000.png

Niche’s don’t come in the offset I want and are too heavy. Vorsteiner’s are amazing but more $$ than I’m willing to spend, (same for Vossen’s, love them but haven’t been able to find any sales and I can’t quite stomach for full sticker price). Will look into the Avant Garde further, thanks.

I just realized I posted a pic of the multi-piece Niche wheel, oops.

Yeah I think out of the three I posted, I like the AG ones the most.

Back