33.2 MPG with the CX-5

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Traveling in central south west Florida between towns. Cruise control set on the 60 mph speed limit and dropping to 40/45 going through towns. I used the Resume function which yields a modest acceleration up to the preset speed. Trip gave 33.2 mpg during this casual and pleasant drive. ed

Nice mpg.! Now if i could actually hit this amount of KM in mine, id be happy,. Always end up around 650km before i cave and fill up.
497.jpg

This was on my old CX-9 when driving the speed limit+5MPH. Most of it was at 60 MPH. I was low on gas and was driving to get across the state line to get cheaper gas! Was blown away at how good the MPG was under the circumstances.
IMG_7957.jpeg

GTR's and Sig's only come in AWD.
I did not know this, thanks. I won't remember but thanks. lol

I believe that the best gas mileage I ever got in my CX was around 30 mpg. My MX's best was 40 mpg. Normally I have a VERY heavy foot so I don't see those numbers too often.

Traveling in central south west Florida between towns. Cruise control set on the 60 mph speed limit and dropping to 40/45 going through towns. I used the Resume function which yields a modest acceleration up to the preset speed. Trip gave 33.2 mpg during this casual and pleasant drive. ed
33.2 mpg would never happen on my 2016 CX-5 AWD. I can never get such mpg no matter how hard I was trying even driving 10 mph below the speed limit on the highway.

The best gas mileage I can get is 30 ~ 30.5 mpg driving at 65 ~ 70 mph on the highway.

33.2 mpg would never happen on my 2016 CX-5 AWD. I can never get such mpg no matter how hard I was trying even driving 10 mph below the speed limit on the highway.

The best gas mileage I can get is 30 ~ 30.5 mpg driving at 65 ~ 70 mph on the highway.
Variations between cars will effect that mpg, but a 2016 is lighter weight then gen2 CX5’s.

I can say both my wife’s 2018 and my 2019 AVERAGE easily over 30mpg per tank in combined driving.
I credit that to our Cx5’s Cylinder Deactivation helping especially on rural sub 60mph roads.

We have been super impressed with the gas mileage. No doubt CD helping us achieve that.

I’m curious, what do you all find to be the real-time difference in the mpg display when switching between CD and non-CD?

I had a Tahoe rental once with CD. I was driving it on slow roads and discovered it ciuld cruise about 48 mph with a very light throttle and the dash indicator read about 28 mpg in 4 cyl mode. Just a little more foot pressure and it would go into 8 cyl mode and the mpg was 22 mpg.

So it didn't cut the fuel consumption in half (despite only half the cylinders were firing) but it did make a significant difference.

Maybe someone can find a place to test the cx5.

Variations between cars will effect that mpg, but a 2016 is lighter weight then gen2 CX5’s.

I can say both my wife’s 2018 and my 2019 AVERAGE easily over 30mpg per tank in combined driving.
I credit that to our Cx5’s Cylinder Deactivation helping especially on rural sub 60mph roads.

We have been super impressed with the gas mileage. No doubt CD helping us achieve that.
Are your CX-5’s FWD or AWD?

Mazda CX-5's cylinder deactivation in early years (2018、2019 MY’s) operates only at sustained cruising speed between 25 mph and 50 mph (40 km/h to 80 km/h). When you’re driving at 60 mph, your CX-5’s don’t have CD activated. In real world, driving CX-5 at 60 mph has been known the speed with the best MPG.

And Mazda says:
Cylinder deactivation is more effective at low speeds, improving fuel economy by some 20% when driving at a constant 40 km/h, and by about 5% at a constant 80 km/h.

Are your CX-5’s FWD or AWD?

Mazda CX-5's cylinder deactivation in early years (2018、2019 MY’s) operates only at sustained cruising speed between 25 mph and 50 mph (40 km/h to 80 km/h). When you’re driving at 60 mph, your CX-5’s don’t have CD activated. In real world, driving CX-5 at 60 mph has been known the speed with the best MPG.

And Mazda says:
We have many roads with 35-50mph limits in my area of western MA, right in the sweet spot for CD kicking in. Which is why our combined mpg per tank is always over 30mpg....rural roads+highway mixed in offsetting any traffic lights and slow going.
Both our CX5’s are AWD.

I’m curious, what do you all find to be the real-time difference in the mpg display when switching between CD and non-CD?
Instant MPG as mentioned can be tough to gauge....but I’m pretty in tune with the CX5 and subtlety can tell when it’s running in CD mode on my street (35mph limit, it’s a few miles long, flat road) it will go from mid-low 30’s to 45+mpg sustained with light throttle.

One thing I remember was 2017’s reviews mentioning disappointing the gas mileage. Reviews typically mentioned worse gas mileage then the previous generation.

I feel once CD was introduced in 2018 the CX5 no longer lost (MPG) points and poor gas mileage complaints dried up in subsequent reviews (for the NA versions).

Is there some kind of indicator showing when it goes into CD?

I would guess Ultragauge could show it.

I've found that a change in elevation makes a real difference. 100 miles Tucson to Phoenix was 3-5 mpg better than Tucson to Phoenix - an elevation change of about 1,400 feet over the 100 miles

We have a 2021 Carbon Edition with the base 2.5L and AWD. Around city, with a lot of stop and go, we average around 20 to 22 mpg.
On the Highway is where really has been a surprise for us. On a 40 miles work trip that I take once or twice a week I have gotten constantly over 30 mpg. My best has been 35 mpg going 70 to 75 MPH on mostly flat highway. Can't ask for more.

Back