30k fuel system service

Mazda dealer has been recommending a fuel system service at 30k mile intervals. The service would cover the injectors/valves/fuel system etc. claim is that is helps remove deposits accumulated due to direct injection.

This doesn’t seem to be listed in the Mazda owners manual, but I’m sure other owners have been approached to have this type of cleaning performed.

Has anyone been doing this at 30k intervals out of precaution? Or is this just a PM that is beneficial but not very useful under 100k miles?

I'd ask the dealer for some details on what exactly it is they do. Throwing a can of injector cleaning into the gas tank and charging you $150.00 is not my idea of a fuel system service.
Ask them how they clean the valve deposits, etc. before making any commitment.

I’m with the others.....probably unnecessary, but a bottle of Techron every 30k into the gas tank ain’t a bad idea. Which I bet is what the dealer is proposing to do at outrageous markup. I wouldn’t want anything done that’s more invasive. A fuel filter change is a good idea at some point, but not at 30k.

- Mark

Thanks for the replies, agree with the consensus. I’ve declined this service past couple trips for the wife’s 2018 CX5. Her car now has 42k miles on it.

Time to start preparing for other consumables, her OEM tires are 5/32 range, brake pads now considered “yellow”.

All in all her 2018 has been doing well, should make over 50k miles before needing tires/pads.

Thanks for the replies, agree with the consensus. I’ve declined this service past couple trips for the wife’s 2018 CX5. Her car now has 42k miles on it.

Time to start preparing for other consumables, her OEM tires are 5/32 range, brake pads now considered “yellow”.

All in all her 2018 has been doing well, should make over 50k miles before needing tires/pads.

You mentioned the brakes. I don't know if you'll be doing this yourself but you need to be aware that a special procedure is required in order to do the rear brakes. It has to do with setting the parking brake into service mode.

You mentioned the brakes. I don't know if you'll be doing this yourself but you need to be aware that a special procedure is required in order to do the rear brakes. It has to do with setting the parking brake into service mode.
Yes I’m aware, likely just going to have the dealer perform brake service. Their estimate doesn’t seem way out of line and is comparable to other shops.

I saw a recent car restoration show that suggested adding a fuel system cleaner into the gas tank is a waste of money and that the only way to really clean the engine is to use a an external pressurized 2 part fuel cleaner additive system attached just upsteam of the fuel injector rails, which they demonstrated. Now, they go on to say that this treatment is only needed if you have a higher mileage vehicle and/or notice poor fuel economy. For me, I find running a tank of premium gas a few times a year really helps.

On many DI engines the gasoline never touches the back side of the valves, so fuel additives do nothing to clean them. Some engines do spray a little fuel on the back of the valves, not sure how effective that is with the 2.5.

its unknown whether spray pattern vapor from the cylinder located injectors reach the valves while they are almost closing but we also dont seem to have many valve carbon issue reports here, at least not in the up to 60-70k miles. It is speculated that the latest gen cx5 is not affected that much vs say.. VW, Fords or other german DI cars... but whether its true.
And yes, any additional fuel tank additives dont give much value to me.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. In this case "broke" would be a noticeable drop in MPGs.

its unknown whether spray pattern vapor from the cylinder located injectors reach the valves while they are almost closing but we also dont seem to have many valve carbon issue reports here, at least not in the up to 60-70k miles. It is speculated that the latest gen cx5 is not affected that much vs say.. VW, Fords or other german DI cars... but whether its true.
And yes, any additional fuel tank additives dont give much value to me.
The condition of the carbon deposit on intake valves of this SkyActiv-G 2.0L with only 28,9XX kms / 17,958 miles in felixd’s video is pretty bad. And there’s a lot of blow-by oil in intake manifold too. Later the newly installed catch can also caught plenty of blow-by oil.

Mazda CX-5 Fuel filter strainer replacement

Back