3.7L engine interchangeability

:
2013 Mazda CX9 GT , 1999 Miata
Does anyone know what the differences are between the *A* and *V*, California vs Federal, CX9 versions? (eigth digit of the VIN number)

I had water pump bearing failure at 92k miles on 2013 CX9. Coolant thoroughly mixed with oil and pumped throughout engine. Shopping used replacement engines now.

Also has anyone tried swapping a 3.7l from a Ford or Lincoln application to a Mazda? The used Ford engine prices are a bit less than Mazda engines.

Thank you,
- wadewit

Lincoln and Ford 3.7L duratech used engines are significantly cheaper than the CX9 salvages. But I bought a low mile (46k) 2012 CX9 engine with *V* vin. Swapping it in to my 2013...

Hey @henex1980 - since I ended up finding a 3.7l duratech from another CX-9, I stopped looking for info. However I could find anybody that had swapped a Ford platform 3.7 into a CX9. while swapping in a 2012 “Mazda” 3.7 to my 2013 CX9, I can tell you that Ford is stamped on parts all the engine. I really wanted to try a Ford platform engine, but was most concerned about plugs &play with the computer modules - i.e. worried that maybe Mazda tuned the engine and transmission controls differently and therefor the Mazda PCM might not talk right with the Ford platform engine. If you decide to dive into swapping a Ford platform 3.7 into a Mazda - please post something somewhere!

PS - I have a 2013 “Mazda“ 3.7 that was knocking after being driven with failing water pump sitting on stand in my garage waiting to be taking apart to see what the damage was.

PPS - there is a lot of info on web about swapping 2.3l Fords into 4th gen Miatas.

Mazda MZi does not have the Exhaust Valve VVT, I think all Fords have the Ti-VCT (both intake and exhaust have variable timing).

So Ford engines won’t work in a cx9 I have a 2015 and I have coolant in my oil I figured it was a water pump that went out. I filled the coolant tank with water since it was empty and checked the oil and the dipstick was half full. So I dunno what’s going on with it. Was gonna try to get a Ford engine and put it in instead of the Mazda. Would anybody know if I could use a Ford one? This is my throttle body. Could use any help please!

Attachments

• 408F59A5-C877-4455-9322-82F34C9025DB.jpeg
    408F59A5-C877-4455-9322-82F34C9025DB.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 140
Back