Guide 2nd Generation CX-9: Dashcam installation

Hi All,

Seeking the experts here for a CX9 2019.
Looking to install a Viofo HK3 3 wire for my dash cam. This hardwire kit comes with 3 wires to constant fuse, ACC ignition fuse and ground. Referring to the diagram below under fuse block left side, I will install the ACC ignition to either position 3, 14 or 15. I want to confirm which position is the safest for the constant fuse.

Apologies if this was mentioned in the thread. It didnt catch my eye.
Many thanks in advance.
Shim

I just bought one of those inviscord type adapters specifically made for Mazda Frameless mirrors ( SimpleUSBPort Dashcam Adapter for Mazda Frameless https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) )

Has anyone installed it? From my initial look I didn’t find the port to remove from the back of the mirror. Do I need to remove the mirror or trim to gain access to the port?

thanks!

Attachments

• 4EEA34AA-F7F3-4936-9ABF-0653F976FADB.jpeg
    4EEA34AA-F7F3-4936-9ABF-0653F976FADB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 471
  • 5184CB08-BC30-43C7-B355-76B7F3CB5714.jpeg
    5184CB08-BC30-43C7-B355-76B7F3CB5714.jpeg
    779.6 KB · Views: 474
Hi All,

Seeking the experts here for a CX9 2019.
Looking to install a Viofo HK3 3 wire for my dash cam. This hardwire kit comes with 3 wires to constant fuse, ACC ignition fuse and ground. Referring to the diagram below under fuse block left side, I will install the ACC ignition to either position 3, 14 or 15. I want to confirm which position is the safest for the constant fuse.

Apologies if this was mentioned in the thread. It didnt catch my eye.
Many thanks in advance.
Shim

Hey Shim, I'm not 100% sure, but I think 3 or 14 would be fine. Hopefully someone else with more experience can chime in.

I just bought one of those inviscord type adapters specifically made for Mazda Frameless mirrors ( SimpleUSBPort Dashcam Adapter for Mazda Frameless https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) )

Has anyone installed it? From my initial look I didn’t find the port to remove from the back of the mirror. Do I need to remove the mirror or trim to gain access to the port?

thanks!

That vendor is actually a member and authorized merchant here (@K3vonn). With the frameless mirror, you'd have to take the black plastic cover off of the housing attached to the windshield. See posts #36 and #38 by @petesamprs on page 2 of this thread.

Hey Shim, I'm not 100% sure, but I think 3 or 14 would be fine. Hopefully someone else with more experience can chime in.

That vendor is actually a member and authorized merchant here (@K3vonn). With the frameless mirror, you'd have to take the black plastic cover off of the housing attached to the windshield. See posts #36 and #38 by @petesamprs on page 2 of this thread.
@sm1ke Thank you! Even though I read through this thread a couple times I totally forgot that post 38 was frameless mirror.

Thanks sm1ke. I ended up buying a circuit tester and quite a few of the fuses had power running to it with the engine off. Yes 3 was one of them. I didnt test 14 as I had my ACC fuse plugged in 15 which covered fuse 14. My first attempt/option was fuse 15 and it worked as ACC. So I assumed all the 'outlet' fuses worked the same way.

I noticed the sunroof fuse had constant power when the engine was off. I thought if it had constant power, the sunroof would operate. However, it doesnt open when you press it. Scratching my head on this one.

Alright, finally got mine installed. For anyone looking for instructions on how to open the enclosure behind frameless mirror follow post #80. Thanks a bunch to @amalraj for immaculate instructions, you truly made installation a no brainer!

Here are some pictures. I bought a 9” USB A to USB mini cable which turned out to be perfect length.

The SimpleUSB port took the guess work out and made it incredibly “Simple”. However, I wish the wires were a bit longer. I was able to stuff everything in the enclosure, slightly longer cable would have allowed me to properly snug them instead of just stuff them inside while trying to close the cover.

Attachments

• 31278C49-EBFD-415F-A55F-D39A0AA3463E.jpeg
    31278C49-EBFD-415F-A55F-D39A0AA3463E.jpeg
    915.3 KB · Views: 631
  • A5992F4A-52BA-433F-AB39-E573ABEEB9B1.jpeg
    A5992F4A-52BA-433F-AB39-E573ABEEB9B1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 626
  • 4669175C-9A4E-4342-9020-DFCD399FB3CB.jpeg
    4669175C-9A4E-4342-9020-DFCD399FB3CB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 633
  • 98656833-84A2-4258-BE08-B5166E9D364B.jpeg
    98656833-84A2-4258-BE08-B5166E9D364B.jpeg
    885.2 KB · Views: 3,130
  • DB0F9097-A898-418C-B1B5-9BFE76475932.jpeg
    DB0F9097-A898-418C-B1B5-9BFE76475932.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 618
This has been a fantastic thread, full of information. Thank you all. Wanted to clarify before pulling the trigger on my own for my new 2019 CX-9.

If I go with the: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and then run the A129 using the Advanced Buffered Parking Mode it will run off the CX-9 battery all the time correct? Thereby capturing any impact that triggers the G-sensor?

While I don't want it draining my battery, or it being triggered all the time in my underground, but rather more so when we're out and about in parking lots shopping. Not sure about the draw on the battery with this feature on? @sm1ke is yours configured this way?

If I go with the: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and then run the A129 using the Advanced Buffered Parking Mode it will run off the CX-9 battery all the time correct? Thereby capturing any impact that triggers the G-sensor?

While I don't want it draining my battery, or it being triggered all the time in my underground, but rather more so when we're out and about in parking lots shopping. Not sure about the draw on the battery with this feature on? @sm1ke is yours configured this way?

@604Mazda Yes, the equipment you listed will have the camera running off of the CX-9's battery all the time. I park in a garage, so when I'm home for the evening I shift the camera off of it's base to turn it off and prevent battery drain. When I'm out, depending on how long I'll be away from the car, I will switch to the Parking Mode. I also have the camera set to turn off the LCD display after 3 mins. Draw on the battery should be a little lower since the camera isn't actively writing to the card at all times. Typically, if I leave the car with the camera in the normal recording mode, the battery drains in 3-4 days and I might need to jump-start it. This happened once when I went away for work, which is why I always turn the camera off when I get home now.

One other note: be sure to turn off Parking Mode/Motion Detection before you start driving. If you don't, the camera may automatically stop recording (not sure why this is).

Hi All,

I finally got a chance to install the Viofo HK3 3 wire kit. Thought I would share my install with everyone incase you decide to hardwire your dashcam. Apologies if this has been documented before. This is for RHD where the fuse box is on the left hand side.

So after determining which fuse to use for acc and battery, I have concluded the best options to use (and thanks to sm1ke) fuse 3 for battery and fuse 15 for ACC.

For fuse 3 battery, I used a micro fuse tap for best fitment. It will push all the way in just like the fuses on the car. The hot side for the wire tap is on the outer side, so insert your fuse tap with the positive to the hot side.
For fuse 15 ACC, I used a mini fuse tap due to a piece of plastic trim on the fuse box preventing from the fuse tap from completely pushing in. The hot side of the fuse is on the inner side, so insert your fuse tap with the positive on the hot side.
Ground the wire to a bolt directly under the footwell (you cant miss it).

Cable tie and neatly store away the wires and unit.

Select your desired voltage cutoff. I set mine to 12.4V for now.

Now the test is to see if this unit cuts power overnight. I assume it will keep charging my dash cam continuously even in sleep mode then fingerscrossed it will cut at 12.4V.

Hope this helps
Shim

Finally bit the bullet and bought an Invisicord for my dashcam. (And subsequently screwed up on the USB size. Cary at Invisicord was great: I sent the cord back and had my new one in under a week). If you want a really simple way to pull power from your mirror that take like 60 seconds to install (including pulling the battery's negative power), the Invisicord is the way to go. I wired it to turn on with the switch, not constant power. Thanks Sm1ke for the initial post and all the other subsequent postings. This is such a great solution.

First post here. Great value in this forum. Thank you!

Well, I own 2020 CX-9 GT and am thinking of getting my Viofo 129 pro (front & rear) installed soon.

I was initially thinking of just using the 3way wires for parking mode, butI I recently came across with Cellink Neo battery pack option and wanted to hear if anyone in this forum has experience with it. Sorry if this was already mentioned in the previous thread.

Appreciate any comments!

Just installed my Roav dashcam with Invisicord (micro usb and micro pins) in my 2019 CX5 Signature (Frameless rearview mirror). For anyone looking for instructions on how to open the enclosure behind frameless mirror follow post #80.

The holes in the connector (where invisicord pins are inserted) is too small. I had a tough time inserting Invisicord micro pins and keeping them in place. They were too long and thick. I cut them into half and used a sandpaper to file them to be much thinner. After a few attempts thereafter, I was able to snug them into place.

Not sure if it's mentioned already here but another thing I noticed is that as soon as I plugged in my dashcam after installation, there was a lot of interference in radio, sometimes almost to the point of radio not working at all. This was when I was in garage where radio was still working okay before installation. I tried moving wires around a bit but that didn't help much. So, I moved my car outside and radio seemed to work mostly fine there but maybe there was still a bit of interference every once in a while. I'll find out how severe and persistent this issue is when I drive more.

Thanks everyone for your contribution here!

First post here. Great value in this forum. Thank you!

Well, I own 2020 CX-9 GT and am thinking of getting my Viofo 129 pro (front & rear) installed soon.

I was initially thinking of just using the 3way wires for parking mode, butI I recently came across with Cellink Neo battery pack option and wanted to hear if anyone in this forum has experience with it. Sorry if this was already mentioned in the previous thread.

Appreciate any comments!

I guess noone here has installed the Cellink Neo yet. You might have more luck creating a topic in one of the dashcam-specific forums like dashcamtalk.com. We do have a resource here identifying what each fuse does, so if you can get the basic install info, you can reference the resource to make the installation a little more straightforward.

Not sure if it's mentioned already here but another thing I noticed is that as soon as I plugged in my dashcam after installation, there was a lot of interference in radio, sometimes almost to the point of radio not working at all. This was when I was in garage where radio was still working okay before installation. I tried moving wires around a bit but that didn't help much. So, I moved my car outside and radio seemed to work mostly fine there but maybe there was still a bit of interference every once in a while. I'll find out how severe and persistent this issue is when I drive more.

Thanks everyone for your contribution here!

That's interesting. I didn't have any issues with my install, but I do recall someone stating that the Invisicord pins were hard to secure, only it was the other way around - they felt the pins were too loose.

I haven't had any issues with the radio, but my 2018 doesn't have the frameless mirror. Has anyone with the frameless mirror had any issues with the Invisicord/radio?

Alright, finally got mine installed. For anyone looking for instructions on how to open the enclosure behind frameless mirror follow post #80. Thanks a bunch to @amalraj for immaculate instructions, you truly made installation a no brainer!

Here are some pictures. I bought a 9” USB A to USB mini cable which turned out to be perfect length.

The SimpleUSB port took the guess work out and made it incredibly “Simple”. However, I wish the wires were a bit longer. I was able to stuff everything in the enclosure, slightly longer cable would have allowed me to properly snug them instead of just stuff them inside while trying to close the cover.
Thanks for this feedback. Do you have any suggestions on how long the cables should be? I've been busy working on new adapters for other brands and constant revisions so I'd be happy to revise this adapter for frameless mirrors!

Thanks for this feedback. Do you have any suggestions on how long the cables should be? I've been busy working on new adapters for other brands and constant revisions so I'd be happy to revise this adapter for frameless mirrors!

I am not 100% sure, my guess is that an extra inch to inch and a half would do the job.

Yes, just plug the yellow into the same socket as green. Just be careful not to touch yellow and black leads together otherwise could blow a fuse or something. Also there is a risk of running down your battery if you plug it into the always on port, depending on how long you leave the car off.
One thing to note is the color of the wire. I just did a mirror tap in my 2017 CX-5 and the color of the cables were different except for the black ground. I wanted on/off with the ignition so I used the bottom right slot which in my case had a Brown wire. What's important is the correct slot, color is not an issue.

@K3vonn Any chance of doing an RJ-11 version for the frameless mirror for radar detectors? If not, I was thinking of just building my own Male-Tap-Female adapter.

Thanks to all of you on this forum with tips on installing a dash cam with an invisicord and opening up the sensor area to stow cables. Just got this installed and it looks awesome.

IMG_8729.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you on this forum with tips on installing a dash cam with an invisicord and opening up the sensor area to stow cables. Just got this installed and it looks awesome.

View attachment 225842
Super clean. Love this. How much was the invisicord? Did you purchase from K3vonn? Amazon? or Direct? Can you take a picture of your invisicord plugged into the mirror? Looks solid.

Back