225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

I wonder what it says on the door jam label?
Mine says 100H. Mine came with 100H and 17 inch wheels so that's understandable.

Just to clarify, I do realize that the GX and GS models both have 17" H rated OEM tires, while my GT has 19" V rated tires, so, it could potentially be an issue only for GT owners who go down to H rated all season tires(Pirelli's in particular). I recognize of course that most winter tires are rarely higher than an H rating, but who speeds over 130 mph on winter roads!! I too opted to go down to 17" (H rated) winter tires because of price but chose to stay away from Pirelli's because of what they say on the tire sticker.

Last edited:
I currently have just under 30K miles on my CrossContact LX25's. The tread is 6/32 all around, with the "S" in "DWS" still showing very legibly (but shallow) on all 4 tire shoulders. They have not been driven in snow lately, obviously, but otherwise I have noted zero performance/safety reduction from them. Their noise level has not changed. Really, other than gauging them and a visual, they are the same as they were at 5K miles.

For comparison, the A36's came off at 17,XXX miles after months of feeling very unsafe in the rain (once they hit 7/32), and measured 4.5/32 across all 4 tires. They caused a vibration when cold/the first 10 miles. The LX25's eliminated this, as well.

I had the BF's on my CX-5 and they were complete garbage, horrible wet braking and cornering actually they were dangerous in the wet. I put 20K on these tires and had to take them off due to being unsafe in the wet.
Looks like you’re not the only one doesn’t like BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, especially on the wet pavement performance! ;)

I wouldn't go with that one unless you live in an area where it never rains. Straight up dangerous!

BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT 225/55R19 is Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire

Based on specs on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, I personally don't like the "700 B A" UTQG, lower 44 psi maximum inflation pressure, and heavier 30 lbs. tire weight.
It also performs absolutely dismally in the rain, and I'd never buy them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=229

Just look at that wet pavement stopping distance!

Hi All.
I picked up a 2019 GTR a few weeks ago. It's still on the OEM Toyo A35 tires. I live in western North Carolina, so some rain and a little snow. Ride comfort and quietness are my number 1 concern. I never see Nokian tires mentioned, although they seem to be well-reviewed. Any input? Thanks

Hi All.
I picked up a 2019 GTR a few weeks ago. It's still on the OEM Toyo A35 tires. I live in western North Carolina, so some rain and a little snow. Ride comfort and quietness are my number 1 concern. I never see Nokian tires mentioned, although they seem to be well-reviewed. Any input? Thanks
Unobtanium had been reporting his experience on Nokian WRG3 SUV 225/65R17 on his previous 2015 CX-5 Touring AWD.

Nokian WRG3 SUV (ongoing review)

Well, it's time. Buying Nokian WRG3 SUV.

-Nokian says the tread compound is the same 100% through the tire, so you won't wear down any of t he "good" compound.
-Numerous Prius owners report no drop in MPG with these tires. This is pretty impressive, as the Prius is super sensitive to tires/mpg wise.
-They do well in the rain and in the summer, giving up very little to an all-season, while doing much better in the snow.
-Nothing does worth a damn on ice, and "you need to be very cautious" even with studded Hap 9's according to Nokian, so buying a tire based on sheer ice performance is a poor plan.
-The tread life according to Tire Rack is 50-55k miles, and that's about what I got with my LX20's, which Tire Rack said would do similar to what I got, so seems them and I are on the same page.
-They are not super expensive, yet they are very high quality, constantly (as a brand) winning European comparison tests, which are far superior to American tire tests from what I've seen. Much more detail.
Mounting my Nokian WRG3 SUVs as I type this.
These were installed roughly 3500 miles ago on my CX5. They replaced Continental LX20 CrossContacts.

-They are louder than the LX20's new, or used.
-The side-walls are very stiff, and this can be felt in less lean in the corners, also, the balance is VERY particular, since the sidewall absorbs less vibration. They were 1/2 an ounce off, and it was dramatic. They got a re-balance and are fine, now.
-MPG is unaffected from the USED LX20's, which is pretty impressive.
-It snowed lightly once, and I got to experience them on a few ice patches. So far, I am a bit underwhelmed, but remain open-minded. They did not seem THAT much better than my LX20's, but again, the snow and ice was just patches, so I cannot really offer a true opinion.

Now the BAD. The rears are still at 10/32, but the fronts in just @3500mi, are bilaterally down to 7/32. That is exceptional, and not in a good way. The tires were rotated front to rear (directional) today, and I will mind them carefully.

Handling vs. the LX20's is better in dry weather (new or used), and in the rain they seem similar. The tires do have less feedback and at the limits, they simply slide. Feedback is about 90% tangible and 5-10% audible. With the LX20's, you got some squealing going on before anything really gave. The WRG3's just give, but it IS progressive and controlled.

So far, I am left feeling less than warm and fuzzy over these, but if they last long enough to make it to this coming winter, I'll have a definitive opinion one way or the other, since their purpose is first and last, to get me to and from work in the nastiest weather and hills the Ozarks have to offer. If they can do that, I can afford a new set every year.
I dunno. Mine has a bit of vibration, but it's due to the tires. Nokian WRG3 SUV's. The side-walls are absurdly stiff.
Awesome. After about 3500 miles, my WRG3 SUV's were at 7/32. Way to go Nokian. You've made an anti-customer.
My Nokian WRG3 SUV's met their "no longer suitable for snow" criteria (4mm tread remaining, I believe) at just under 20K miles. Absolute trash.
The Nokian WRG3 SUV's are absolute trash, and I'll never own another tire made by that company again. Absolute junk.

Take-aways:

1) Lasted 20K miles before "Snowflake" gone (below 4/32).
2) LOUD AF!
3) Terrible traction in the rain
4) Didn't last a year, so I can't even comment on snow performance, but on a few ice patches I hit late last year, it felt similar to my Altimax's
5) MPG was unchanged from my worn out LX20's, so that's good.
6) I submitted my 1-star review to their website months ago and it's not there...so don't take their bulls*** reviews for anything. They are a company of shysters. Only warranty the tire if you buy through THEIR dealers, not Amazon, etc. too. That's your first sign it's a trash product, and I wish I'd listened to my gut, there, and not bought it.
7) Never could get them balanced well.
I hate Nokian because I bought a set 2 years ago or so and it was the worst tire I've ever driven on. WRG3 SUV.

Thanks very much. The hunt goes on.
For 225/55R19 tire, many here like Continental CrossContact LX25 ($194.99 each at Tire Rack but there’s manufacture $70 Visa Prepaid Card by 8/31/2020) and General AltiMAX RT43 ($155.99 each at Tire Rack). Both rated number 1 on Tire Rack's Tire Ratings Charts for size 225/55R19 in different category, and both are better choice on performance and cost for size 225/55R19 IMO. Do a search on both tires in this forum and you’ll see many comments for your information.

Here are a couple of Tire Ratings Charts on size 225/55R19 from Tire Rack:

Tire Category: Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season
CE5B4A66-6E53-46E4-9F57-7304F3D83E20.jpeg

Tire Category: Grand Touring All-Season
0F717055-4FAE-4FF3-9A05-E6B6D8692725.jpeg

Thanks.
I think given my priorities, I should just spring for the LX25. I drive very little so I won't be replacing them any time soon.
Thanks for your input.

I've got a set of Continental Cross contacts on our CX-5. Very happy with them so far. I have 18,000 miles on the set and they are quiet, grip and handle well. No complaints about them at all.

I've got a set of Continental Cross contacts on our CX-5. Very happy with them so far. I have 18,000 miles on the set and they are quiet, grip and handle well. No complaints about them at all.
Are they LX20 or newer LX25?

No idea. I just looked at the sidewall and didn't see either LX20 or LX25 marked on it. It's possible it's on the inside of the tire though.
That’s very strange. If the “LX20” or “LX25” wording is on the inner side of tire, it seems whoever did the tire installation did it wrong. The “LX2_” wording and the tire “date code“ should be visible from the outside.

688A2D22-6045-46D6-81D1-338F0BE98F0C.png

That’s very strange. If the “LX20” or “LX25” wording is on the inner side of tire, it seems whoever did the tire installation did it wrong. The “LX2_” wording and the tire “date code“ should be visible from the outside.

View attachment 226150
Found the reason why. On the Mazda they are True Contact not Cross Contact. Still very happy with them.

Back