215/65r16 Tires on Mazda5?

Looking to put a little more rubber between me and the road. Originally looking at 205/60r16, but found a deal on some 215/65r16s. I can’t find any info regarding them being too tall or not. Seeing if anyone’s done it before or if it’s not advised as the 8.4% diameter increase from stock would somehow interfere with the electronic safeties and such.

That's a much taller tire than stock. Your speedometer will be off by a good little bit.

Use this applet to compare tires sizes.

1618919268613.png

Yeah I was checking tire comparison. Compared to stock they’ll have 1.5” in diameter larger. Compared to the 1” for 205/60r16. I just don’t know about rubbing or if it’ll cause issues with abs or esc or tcs etc.

Yeah I was checking tire comparison. Compared to stock they’ll have 1.5” in diameter larger. Compared to the 1” for 205/60r16. I just don’t know about rubbing or if it’ll cause issues with abs or esc or tcs etc.
Looking to put a little more rubber between me and the road. Originally looking at 205/60r16, but found a deal on some 215/65r16s. I can’t find any info regarding them being too tall or not. Seeing if anyone’s done it before or if it’s not advised as the 8.4% diameter increase from stock would somehow interfere with the electronic safeties and such.
Can confirm 215/65r16 will fit on the Mazda5 — tires will just clear the spring perches in the front. Our 5 has a slight lift all around. I get minor rubbing at full lock in the front and I only get a bit of rubbing in the rear over bumps if the van is loaded — stiffer springs should solve that issue.

Doesn't handle like a car anymore, but I'm not a spirited drive by any means. The thicker sidewalls provide more road comfort over rough roads.

No issues with ABS or TCS, but speedometer is off — I just use Waze to determine correct speed until I can get the van calibrated.

Attachments

• IMG_7193.jpg
    IMG_7193.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 152
Yeah, I used Tema4x4 strut spacers up front (I believe they're 30mm). In the rear, I swapped the stock springs out with CX7 springs — the 5 and CX7 share the same rear suspension components, but CX7 springs are taller.
Does that mean for the rear you’d use the rear struts of the cx7?

Does that mean for the rear you’d use the rear struts of the cx7?
No, rear shocks are still Mazda5 parts. I installed KYB Gas-a-Just shocks about 2 years ago — huge improvement over stock, but could still use an upgrade. Front struts are way overdue for replacement, so I'll be looking into a front/rear set at some point and just get everything done at once.

I've also done some research on springs via Moog's web site (they give you all the specs/dimensions of springs) and found that early-2000 Toyota Tacoma front springs are similar diameter to the 5's rears but are taller and rated for heavier loads — this may give me the stiffness I need to prevent rubbing in the rear. I'm also trying to find a taller spring that could fit in the front.

I ran 215/60-15s from a CX3 this past winter with no clearance issues whatsoever on stock suspension. I just installed a set of H&R sport springs and Speed 3 Koni Yellows with 225/40-18s and even with the lower ride height it looks like I’ll still be good next winter.

I ran 215/60-15s from a CX3 this past winter with no clearance issues whatsoever on stock suspension. I just installed a set of H&R sport springs and Speed 3 Koni Yellows with 225/40-18s and even with the lower ride height it looks like I’ll still be good next winter.
Are you driving a Mazda5?

Darn, my bad. 16s.
Got my COVID shot yesterday so I’m a little out of it today. 🤒
:LOL: Just wanted to be sure I wasn't going crazy. I tried putting my 15" winters on when we bought our 5. Was so disappointed they didn't fit.

...but at the same time, I enjoy shopping around for new tires. So the disappointment didn't last.

No, rear shocks are still Mazda5 parts. I installed KYB Gas-a-Just shocks about 2 years ago — huge improvement over stock, but could still use an upgrade. Front struts are way overdue for replacement, so I'll be looking into a front/rear set at some point and just get everything done at once.

I've also done some research on springs via Moog's web site (they give you all the specs/dimensions of springs) and found that early-2000 Toyota Tacoma front springs are similar diameter to the 5's rears but are taller and rated for heavier loads — this may give me the stiffness I need to prevent rubbing in the rear. I'm also trying to find a taller spring that could fit in the front.
Were you ever able to find taller/stiffer springs for the front?

Back