2022 CX-50?!

Let's not confuse constructive criticism of some of Mazda's thinking, as well as opinion, with being an insult. If I/we had such a disregard for Mazda, as you seem to imply, why would I/we have purchased a CX-5 in the first place.
I actually think he was referring to the idiots comment, not the constructive criticism.

The CX-4, like the CX-30, is not a coupe. Coupes have 2 doors, while these have 4

I beg to differ. There are several examples of 4 door coupes on the market, mostly European mind you. Just google "4 door coupes". I consider a coupe as a vehicle where the rear hatch/trunk has the rear window incorporated but slants way more than a regular hatch. For example the Mazda 3(hatch), CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9 have a steeply raking rear window so could never be considered a coupe, while the CX-4 has a much more shallow sloping rear window therefore may be considered a 4-door coupe, in my opinion.

I actually think he was referring to the idiots comment, not the constructive criticism.

Good point, thanks. That's why I click on reply within someone's post, rather than sending a new post so there is no question as to whom I am replying to.

I beg to differ. There are several examples of 4 door coupes on the market, mostly European mind you. Just google "4 door coupes".

Def a thing now, and reviews often have the obligatory "So they're strangely calling it a coupe" paragraph. Many 4 door cars marketed this way, some say the MB CLS started it. Audi A7 is a more popular example. To me, in sedans it is genius. Give away a bit in cargo, gain a lot in style. In SUVs...the trade off is not great. I'm not sure I would want to live with significantly reduced cargo for my $$$, but I love the look.

At first the offense was we're calling 4 door sedans coupes. But now 4 door SUVs! Certainly an evolving use of language in the automobile world.

But Japan has them too. I've seen Accords called 4 door coupes.

That's correct, thanks for the clarification.

I'm hoping that the CX-50 ends up being the CX-4 that Mazda sells in China (basically a crossover'd Mazda 6), but updated with the current Mazda 3/CX30 interior

Interesting point...I haven't had a look at the CX-4 in a while but it does make you wonder if it's an indication of what a CX-50 might look like...Hmm...Food for thought..:)

Dude...bmw made a 333bhp i6 2 decades ago with port injection. There is just no excuse, here, with SA-X / DI, and more electronic finetuning than a space shuttle.

Mazda needs this to be 320bhp or so.

That's still my favorite generation of BMW M3.

To be fair to Mazda though, there are some things that have to be considered when comparing these numbers. That was a fairly exotic engine design in it's day, more expensive to make and far more expensive to fix than the upcoming Mazda engine is likely to be. Also, the S54B32 engine has become very notorious for being unreliable over the years. The VANOS valve timing system in particular empties out owner's pockets pretty consistently when it inevitably fails.

The fact that mainstream cars today are approaching the performance numbers of these enthusiast engines from a couple of decades ago while offering far superior reliability and serviceability is progress. Maybe not the most exciting kind of progress, but worth acknowledging still.

coupé
noun (1)
https://www.merriam-webster.com/login

cou·pé | \ sense 1 is kü-ˈpā , sense 2 is ˈküp , kü-ˈpā \
variants: or coupe
Definition of coupé
(Entry 1 of 2)
1: a four-wheeled closed horse-drawn carriage for two persons inside with an outside seat for the driver in front
2usually coupe : a 2-door automobile often seating only two personsalso : one with a tight-spaced rear seat

.....The VANOS valve timing system in particular empties out owner's pockets pretty consistently when it inevitably fails.

Truth - Previous owner of a 2012 MINI Cooper Countryman, at 160K with no warning VANOS came and bit the pocket book to the tune of $3k.

coupé
noun (1)
https://www.merriam-webster.com/login

cou·pé | \ sense 1 is kü-ˈpā , sense 2 is ˈküp , kü-ˈpā \
variants: or coupe
Definition of coupé
(Entry 1 of 2)
1: a four-wheeled closed horse-drawn carriage for two persons inside with an outside seat for the driver in front
2usually coupe : a 2-door automobile often seating only two personsalso : one with a tight-spaced rear seat

Even back in 2017 BMW were referring to their X4 and X6 as Sports Activity Coupes. On the X4 homepage they used such phrases as.....Coupe-like roofline. Coupe performance. Sports coupe inspiration. On and on. BUT, both models had 4 doors. Below is the X4 with that very slopey coupe like roof

1589315079909.png

And here is the CX-4 with another very slopey coupe like rear window.
1589315821564.png

That's still my favorite generation of BMW M3.

To be fair to Mazda though, there are some things that have to be considered when comparing these numbers. That was a fairly exotic engine design in it's day, more expensive to make and far more expensive to fix than the upcoming Mazda engine is likely to be. Also, the S54B32 engine has become very notorious for being unreliable over the years. The VANOS valve timing system in particular empties out owner's pockets pretty consistently when it inevitably fails.

The fact that mainstream cars today are approaching the performance numbers of these enthusiast engines from a couple of decades ago while offering far superior reliability and serviceability is progress. Maybe not the most exciting kind of progress, but worth acknowledging still.
I understand, but why would you want the fuel consumption of a 6 cylinder making 4 cylinder power without the torque? How does this make any sense?

Well, we don't know what the fuel consumption of the new engine will be yet, with no published figures. When it's a real engine with real data then we can make up our minds about it. The fact that they are pairing it with a mild hybrid system does tend to suggest that the mileage needs to be "propped up" a bit though.

I honestly think Mazda is shooting themselves in both feet with this direction. They are going to lose customers, not gain them, with their push upmarket and that's a shame. At the same time, though, if this vehicle has an AWD option and seats that don't destroy hips I personally would be very interested in owning one. The mild hybrid system will mask the low end torque deficit and help make the mileage competitive, at least if Mazda has any common sense left it will. An inline-6 engine in this market price bracket feels a little special though and I would like to drive such a car. I just don't think there are enough people like me out there to make this work for Mazda in the end.

With the new CX-30 now being closer to the CX-5 in size a similar rumor I have read is that the new replacement in 2022 for the CX-5 will be the slightly upsized CX-50 based on the larger Mazda 6 platform with a potential bigger engine to make it more competitive with the Ford Explorer. Three possible engine choices that might be considered would be the 2.5T(unlikely as it would be slightly underpowered), 3.3D or the 3.0 48V mild hybrid(with a Roots-type supercharger instead of a turbo to avoid turbo lag). My bet is on the 3.0 supercharged hybrid. That engine would be absolutely awesome!!!

Last edited:
...Three possible engine choices that might be considered would be the 2.5T(unlikely as it would be slightly underpowered), 3.3D or the 3.0 48V mild hybrid(with a Roots-type supercharger instead of a turbo to avoid turbo lag). My bet is on the 3.0 supercharged hybrid. That engine would be absolutely awesome!!!

In the UK we'll probably get a 2.0L very underpowered version (SkyactivX version if we're lucky). 3.0L anything will be highly unlikely IMO.

In the UK we'll probably get a 2.0L very underpowered version (SkyactivX version if we're lucky). 3.0L anything will be highly unlikely IMO.

With your petrol prices being over 2X what they are here in North America it is no wonder the vast majority of vehicles on UK roads tend to be the much more fuel efficient smaller 4 cyl variety (2 L or less) so I can see why the potential 3.0 engine might not be a go in the UK. BUT, the hybrid might bring the mileage down to that of a 2-2.5L.

Back