2021 Vs. 2019-2020 CX-9

Salesman called asking if I was coming down to buy it and said another dealer is asking for a dealer trade for it. I told him I am going to wait until I can get one for $39,000 cash deal and to go ahead and do the dealer trade. Luckily we are in no rush, let's see how this plays out.

Can I have people's experience with dealer trades? One dealer said I just need to put down a $500 refundable deposit. Another said I need to fill out the whole buyers contract and then vehicle will be delivered after which if I don't like it I don't drive it off.

My car was a dealer trade. I was asked to put down $500 to get the car in. Nothing else.

Same.... I was asked to put down a $500 refundable deposit. If for any reason I didn’t like the car due to defects or financing fell through, I would get the money back. The money will be applied towards the purchase price if everything is to your liking.

Salesman called asking if I was coming down to buy it and said another dealer is asking for a dealer trade for it. I told him I am going to wait until I can get one for $39,000 cash deal and to go ahead and do the dealer trade. Luckily we are in no rush, let's see how this plays out.
If you really are in no rush, hold off as long as you can likely until near end of the month when dealers are usually trying to chase after their volume targets. By telling them now you’ll think about it then you let the deal “simmer” for couple of weeks then they’ll likely chase after you and cave in to your offer OR another dealer comes back and says they’ll give you the deal or found the vehicle you like. Honestly that $39K cash deal you have on the table is already an amazing deal but if you can squeeze a bit more from any dealer why not? After all, once you sign the paperwork and take delivery then that’s it! Deal done and you lose any other chance and opportunity to get more. Just don’t let greed spoil the fun and enjoyment in looking forward to driving a new CX-9. Sometimes knowing too much will eat you up and spoil the excitement. Good luck and keep us posted!

If you really are in no rush, hold off as long as you can likely until near end of the month when dealers are usually trying to chase after their volume targets. By telling them now you’ll think about it then you let the deal “simmer” for couple of weeks then they’ll likely chase after you and cave in to your offer OR another dealer comes back and says they’ll give you the deal or found the vehicle you like. Honestly that $39K cash deal you have on the table is already an amazing deal but if you can squeeze a bit more from any dealer why not? After all, once you sign the paperwork and take delivery then that’s it! Deal done and you lose any other chance and opportunity to get more. Just don’t let greed spoil the fun and enjoyment in looking forward to driving a new CX-9. Sometimes knowing too much will eat you up and spoil the excitement. Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you!

You know what I may do the financing trick to get the best possible deal then just pay off the loan. I don't mind the bit extra work.

I am going to shoot for $39k AWD or $38k FWD.

The only question is AWD worth an extra $1,000-$1,200 which seems the going difference here in Northern California.

The only question is AWD worth an extra $1,000-$1,200 which seems the going difference here in Northern California.

The biggest differences are the extra 150lbs or so for AWD, which means mileage drops very slightly. The other consideration is the cost to service (drain and fill) the rear diff fluid, which isn't much if you have a shop take care of it, and even cheaper if you do it yourself (there are already guides on how to do this on the forum). I would spring for AWD, but that's just me..

Thank you!

You know what I may do the financing trick to get the best possible deal then just pay off the loan. I don't mind the bit extra work.

I am going to shoot for $39k AWD or $38k FWD.

As earlier posted by sm1ke, go for the AWD...the benefits and small added cost outweigh the inconveniences and maintenance cost. Even if not needed in Cali, the AWD also increases the resale/trade value down the road. Another plus is the desirability of AWD in SUVs...who knows in future you might move out of Cali to a colder state where the AWD might come in handy?!LOL

As earlier posted by sm1ke, go for the AWD...the benefits and small added cost outweigh the inconveniences and maintenance cost. Even if not needed in Cali, the AWD also increases the resale/trade value down the road. Another plus is the desirability of AWD in SUVs...who knows in future you might move out of Cali to a colder state where the AWD might come in handy?!LOL

Actually off topic but we are thinking of getting out of California later on down the line so you brought up a great point.

Also talking to my wife, now that our kids are a bit older (7/6/3) we plan to take many more trips to the snow and although I do have my Tahoe, I'd like to drive the CX9 up there as well. I'm sure the FWD can handle it fine but think AWD will be that much better.

Last edited:
Actually off topic but we are thinking of getting out of California later on down the line so you brought up a great point.

Also talking to my wife, now that our kids are a bit older (7/6/3) we plan to take many more trips to the snow and although I do have my Tahoe, I'd like to drive the CX9 up there as well. I'm sure the FWD can handle it fine but think AWD will be that much more better.
I always come across FWD buyers of SUVs in forums regretting later on saying they should have gotten the AWD but rarely have I come across AWD buyers regretting that they should have gotten just the FWD...

May be getting the AWD from dealer #1 for $39,300 which I will be content with. Fingers crossed!
I would get AWD due to the torque of the 2.5T. I think the Mazda3 Turbo was released AWD only due to the torque and the amount of wheelspin it can create on an FWD only application.

Hyundai/Kia has that issue on their 2.5T FWD application in the Sonata N-Line and K5 GT.

How is the longevity of the AWD and turbo motor? We plan to ride this until the wheels fall off lol.
I’m pretty sure the AWD will be good in the CX-9...this generation came out late 2016 so approaching 5yrs and I haven’t come across AWD issues experienced by owners in forums. I’ve had mine for 4yrs and no issues so far including the 2.5T engine. Last year I was getting my CX-9 serviced at my local dealership and the sales guy mentioned to me that the service techs were servicing a high mileage ’16 CX-9 in the back with 160K Kms...they opened up the turbo to see the condition and were surprised that still appeared in excellent condition! Looks like it’ll be reliable for Mazda considering the base 2.5L NA engine has been tried and true and that they are even putting in the 2.5T in almost all other models except the CX-3 and Miata

I’m pretty sure the AWD will be good in the CX-9...this generation came out late 2016 so approaching 5yrs and I haven’t come across AWD issues experienced by owners in forums. I’ve had mine for 4yrs and no issues so far including the 2.5T engine. Last year I was getting my CX-9 serviced at my local dealership and the sales guy mentioned to me that the service techs were servicing a high mileage ’16 CX-9 in the back with 160K Kms...they opened up the turbo to see the condition and were surprised that still appeared in excellent condition! Looks like it’ll be reliable for Mazda considering the base 2.5L NA engine has been tried and true and that they are even putting in the 2.5T in almost all other models except the CX-3 and Miata

I agree. There have been a few cases (less than 5) of 2.5T engine replacements reported on these forums over the years. I believe that in all instances, the powertrain warranty covered the cost of repair. Of course, we are just one forum/community among many, but given that most people only join forums to complain about an issue or troubleshoot an issue, it seems that major engine issues with the 2.5T are quite rare.

Thanks guys! Salesman is suppose to get back to me today as he was off the last 2 days.

On a side note, someone linked a TSB in another thread for an 2016MY I believe, so I went to that website and opened up the 2021 MY. Found some cool info in regards to bulletins from Mazda to dealers about the CX9. One was for a dealer recall fix for chrome moldings rusting due to the hurricane Japan had in 2020 near the plant. It gave the VINs effected and that FWD I was first interested in was part of it but this AWD is all in the clear.

Not a big deal as dealer is to fix all the VINs within the range but just one less thing I need to worry about now that I am pulling trigger on the AWD. 👍

Bummer, I was trying to call the salemans bluff when he called me the other day saying vehicle was about to be dealer traded and told me to get it asap if I really wanted it.

Turns out it was dealer traded lol. Oh well, there will be other's! Staying positive.

Guys my wife thru my for a complete loop this morning. "I want black color but since you don't please find me a silver, I don't want grey anymore".

Well my metallic grey color dreams are dashed, man I love that color too. Our 2011 lexus gs350 and 2018 honda Odyssey (both which we are selling) are silver but I guess she likes silver color and this will be her car so gotta make her happy. 🤷‍♂️

And so it turns out one other dealer I was working has an AWD GT silver and will price match dealer #1 cash price of $39,495 but ONLY if I finance. She said I can I pay it off asap as well no waiting 3 months. Only problem is dealer #1 was offering a finance price of $39,295 so I replied this morning give it to me for $39,000 for the AWD financed and we have a deal. 🤞🤞

On a side note, I swear I've spent the last week binge scrolling every single thread in the cx9 forum lol.

I saw some posts about paint issues, it seems the Silver colors hold up decently?

On a side note, I swear I've spent the last week binge scrolling every single thread in the cx9 forum lol.

I saw some posts about paint issues, it seems the Silver colors hold up decently?

Yeah silver is one of those "easy mode" colours, doesn't show swirls or nicks as easily as a darker colour, so it's easier to maintain. I don't think I've read about anyone complaining about the silver on any of the other model subforums as well, so you should be pretty safe with that colour. Japanese paint in general is on the softer side, so if anything I'd just recommend maintaining a safe distance from other drivers in front of you when travelling on the highway, and avoid driving behind construction vehicles, gravel trucks, etc. to minimize the chances of rock chips.

Back