2021 CX-9 Signature: Why no wireless Apple CarPlay?

Wireless CP is technically a lot more difficult than wired so it has generally been a high-end feature in a few luxury makes. It’s just now starting to trickle into mainstream vehicles.

- Mark

Upvote 0
There's more to this story.
Mazda actually includes wireless carplay in the '21 models (CX5 and CX9) here in Canada...but it's because we didn't get the new Mazda Connect system that is in the 2019 and up 3's. So they've added the feature to the ancient old Mazda Connect system, which seem so strange...but alas, dems the breaks.

Upvote 0
Wireless Carplay sounded neat but not a big deal until I started thinking about how many lightning cables I've had to replace in the last couple years. Probably a half dozen at least. It's not a deal breaker but between that and not having the XM radio on the Touring model either is really making me have second thoughts about a 2021 CX5 this spring.

Upvote 0
This is embarrassing for Mazda -- or, at least it should be. What's more embarrassing is that I just leased a 2021 Signature and wrongly assumed, with all the onboard, included features, that wireless carplay was a no-brainer inclusion at the price point and level of trim/features included. So close, Mazda... but, that's an easily avoided fail. Had I known this, I might have waffled on the acquisition given that other competing 3-row SUVs in this price range DO include this. I'm tired of cables. It's a joke that in a 2021 Signature I have to use a cable for carplay and at a sticker price of $47k, wired carplay in an inexplicable limitation.

Even the dated Durango/Jeep platform has added this in 2021. My 2nd choice 3-row I was debating on getting before leaning into the CX-9 (as a former 2015 Durango owner, and 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I love their superior infotainment system -- wins hands down, with or without a cable).

I have a 2nd lease coming up on a Jeep Cherokee... WAS thinking a CX-5 replacement might be in order, but I'll start expanding my search and maybe land back in a jeep with wireless carplay.

Upvote 0
This is embarrassing for Mazda -- or, at least it should be. What's more embarrassing is that I just leased a 2021 Signature and wrongly assumed, with all the onboard, included features, that wireless carplay was a no-brainer inclusion at the price point and level of trim/features included. So close, Mazda... but, that's an easily avoided fail. Had I known this, I might have waffled on the acquisition given that other competing 3-row SUVs in this price range DO include this. I'm tired of cables. It's a joke that in a 2021 Signature I have to use a cable for carplay and at a sticker price of $47k, wired carplay in an inexplicable limitation.

Even the dated Durango/Jeep platform has added this in 2021. My 2nd choice 3-row I was debating on getting before leaning into the CX-9 (as a former 2015 Durango owner, and 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I love their superior infotainment system -- wins hands down, with or without a cable).

I have a 2nd lease coming up on a Jeep Cherokee... WAS thinking a CX-5 replacement might be in order, but I'll start expanding my search and maybe land back in a jeep with wireless carplay.
Technology sure has come a long way to the point that Wireless ACP/AA is now becoming a deal breaker...I have the wired CP/AA in my car but seldom use it as I find it just distracting...too many distractions nowadays but that’s from my personal perspective and preference. I guess you now buy the best infotainment system in the market that comes with the vehicle and not the other way around. Maybe driving doesn’t matter anymore...

Upvote 0

Here, I fixed this for you,

...What's more embarrassing is that I just leased a 2021 Signature and wrongly assumed, with all the onboard, included features, that wireless carplay without doing my homework to ensure the vehicle had the features that were important to me.

Upvote 0
Easy solution. No more tears required:

Upvote 0
I’d like to see wireless CP too, but it is NOT the norm in this segment of vehicle. For example, it’s not available on the Pilot, Highlander, or Telluride to name a few. At least for the next year or two, you’ve got to do your homework on these sorts of features.

- Mark

Upvote 0
I was able to use CarlinKit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Dongle Adapter linked below to get wireless car play working on my 2018 CX-9. Out of the box it does have random disconnects but after applying all the updates to it including latest one that specifically mentions address Mazda system disconnects it has been working great.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08T97YLLM/

Upvote 0
It 2023 and guess what, Still no WIRELESS on CX-9. Don’t know if this is for my Touring Trim or across the board. I looked thru all documentations/ manuals and there is no mention for wireless option. CX-50 seems to have it . Also the standard wireless charging port is pointless if you need cable for CarPlay.

Upvote 0
I have a 2023 Signature and no wireless carplay /AA. I did however buy a Motorola MA1 for Android Auto but the USB port is always on and will drain the battery if left plugged in ... Grrrr

Upvote 0
Back