2021 Signature Lights

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
Hey guys for all you "lights" fans out there. Check out this Vid covering the 2021 Signature lights both interior and exterior. Kind of tough to review during a test drive during daylight. This video serves that purpose.

Awesome design and layout by Mazda.

So when did CX-5 finally get lit glove boxes. I recall a lot of complaints on earlier models for not having light in there lol.

Glove box with LED is only a Signature feature. Never noticed it, or the presence or lack of it in my other cars...

So when did CX-5 finally get lit glove boxes. I recall a lot of complaints on earlier models for not having light in there lol.
Glove compartment light is only available on top-of-line CX-5 Signature with LED interior lights. The same on ambient light and front floor lights. And we’ve still not seen the lockable door for glove compartment which carries the same amount of complaints. ;)

The glove compartment light is controlled by headlight switch which is a bad design as you have to turn on at least the parking lights to make it on in the night. Open the glove compartment door won’t automatically turn on the light in the dark.

Glove box with LED is only a Signature feature. Never noticed it, or the presence or lack of it in my other cars...
Now that I think about it I believe both our mini vans had glove box lights!

⋯ The glove compartment light is controlled by headlight switch which is a bad design as you have to turn on at least the parking lights to make it on in the night. Open the glove compartment door won’t automatically turn on the light in the dark.
Of course this also means glove compartment light will be lit all the time if you turn on the parking lights or headlights even if your glove compartment door is shut.

Glove box with LED is only a Signature feature. Never noticed it, or the presence or lack of it in my other cars.
2013 CX-5 is not lit but I checked and forgot 2016 Mazda6 touring is indeed lit. The only time this could be a useful feature is if needing to get paperwork or maybe a map at night. I haven't used a map in years now due to navigation and smart phones. Proof of insurance? On my smart phone. In the CX-5 I updated interior lights to LEDs and it adds some light when opening the glove compartment.

ss
2013 CX-5 is not lit but I checked and forgot 2016 Mazda6 touring is indeed lit. The only time this could be a useful feature is if needing to get paperwork or maybe a map at night. I haven't used a map in years now due to navigation and smart phones. Proof of insurance? On my smart phone. In the CX-5 I updated interior lights to LEDs and it adds some light when opening the glove compartment.
I have done that to all my cars since about 2011, LEDs can make a huge difference or they can make the car look like a bad superstore. Color temperature and CRI are important, but hard to find.

ss

I have done that to all my cars since about 2011, LEDs can make a huge difference or they can make the car look like a bad superstore. Color temperature and CRI are important, but hard to find.
I the CX-5 I've got cool 5500 ish temperature LEDs. Now in the Mazda6............well I've got stealth mode Red LEDs :). At night in a dark parking lot with red interior LEDs on plus 35% tint you won't notice me in the car. Yet inside I have got enough light to read paperwork and see my rear passengers.

I the CX-5 I've got cool 5500 ish temperature LEDs. Now in the Mazda6............well I've got stealth mode Red LEDs :). At night in a dark parking lot with red interior LEDs on plus 35% tint you won't notice me in the car. Yet inside I have got enough light to read paperwork and see my rear passengers.
Submariner style!

At least us commoners can easily upgrade all interior lights to LED for next to nothing. I don't get the omission of foot well lighting and ambient lighting on GT/GTR models. Also not understanding why turn signals are still incandescent. Seems like it would have been easier to make the entire light assemblies LED as is the case on the Mazda 3.

I have a 2020 CX5 GTR. Are there any lights interior or exterior that need upgrading to LED or are all my lights LED?

Thanks

I have a 2020 CX5 GTR. Are there any lights interior or exterior that need upgrading to LED or are all my lights LED?

Thanks
You have incandescent turn signals front and rear. You can pick one of the two ends to upgrade if you get bulbs with built in resistors. I chose the rear for mine. Your interior lights are all incandescent. They can easily be upgraded if desired. I have read not to change the vanity lights as LED's are just too bright.

You have incandescent turn signals front and rear. You can pick one of the two ends to upgrade if you get bulbs with built in resistors. I chose the rear for mine. Your interior lights are all incandescent. They can easily be upgraded if desired. I have read not to change the vanity lights as LED's are just too bright.
Thank you I was not sure about those details.

... I have read not to change the vanity lights as LED's are just too bright...
This can be true, but you can also match the brightness to some extent by matching lumen output and choosing as low a color temp as possible. 10-15 years ago, it used to be LEDs were too dim and too cool, and finding a high lumen, low color temp LED was difficult. It should be easier now, and the "new" spec to pay attention to, which you almost never see, is the CRI (color rendering index) which you want as close to 100 as possible, and definitely above 80.

⋯ I have read not to change the vanity lights as LED's are just too bright.
There're LEDs having 2800K color temperature where the light looks the same as standard incandescent bulb. I use this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) for vanity mirror on the sun visors for "warm glow" effect which looks the same as OEM incandescent light but a bit brighter:
s-l400.jpg

Back