2021 Signature infotainment questions

:
'21 CX-5 Signature
New guy here. We bought a '21 Signature yesterday. I was surprised that it does not show the tire pressures. Then I was more surprised to find out that the CX-30 does show tire pressures under the vehicle monitoring. Anyone have a '21 that is showing the tire pressures? I also noticed that I cannot change the maintenance interval. Actually the only interval showing is for the oil change. Wondering if there is newer software.

Thanks.

I bought a '21 GT-R on Wed, and was also surprised that you can't see tire pressures. Are you using the MyMazda app? Even more surprising/frustrating, you'll find that there are two possible vehicle status screens. The "A" screen is for 2020 models, and it does show tire pressures. The "B" screen is for 2021s, and there are no pressures.

WTH is up with that.....

I bought a '21 GT-R on Wed, and was also surprised that you can't see tire pressures. Are you using the MyMazda app? Even more surprising/frustrating, you'll find that there are two possible vehicle status screens. The "A" screen is for 2020 models, and it does show tire pressures. The "B" screen is for 2021s, and there are no pressures.

WTH is up with that.....

Thanks for the info. I am hopeful that there will be software updates to fix this. I've read that the CX-30 shows the pressures on the infotainment under the vehicle monitoring page.

I am using the app but I don't have two options for vehicle status. My vehicle status does not show tire pressures. Under the health report it does show the pressure are OK but does not state the pressures.

Do you mind checking if you can change your oil change interval?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The two vehicle status options are shown in the Connected Services manual that you can download as a pdf. On Page 4, it shows one screen for 2020, and the other for 2021.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the maintenance intervals either. I've checked the manual, I've Googled, and I've searched Youtube. It looks like up until 2019 you could adjust the oil and tire rotation intervals using the center screen. Those options are not there in my car. Just a generic service interval under Information. I thought maybe the dash would allow adjustment, but nothing there either.

The car's manual says that you can set the Maintenance Monitor for either the Flexible oil change interval (which is the default) or a fixed interval, and it refers you to the Connected Services manual to adjust it. But there is nothing about this in the Connected Services manual that I can find.

Hoping someone else can help with this, I'm going crazy. Also would be nice to know how to reset the oil change due message after the oil change is completed.

The two vehicle status options are shown in the Connected Services manual that you can download as a pdf. On Page 4, it shows one screen for 2020, and the other for 2021.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the maintenance intervals either. I've checked the manual, I've Googled, and I've searched Youtube. It looks like up until 2019 you could adjust the oil and tire rotation intervals using the center screen. Those options are not there in my car. Just a generic service interval under Information. I thought maybe the dash would allow adjustment, but nothing there either.

The car's manual says that you can set the Maintenance Monitor for either the Flexible oil change interval (which is the default) or a fixed interval, and it refers you to the Connected Services manual to adjust it. But there is nothing about this in the Connected Services manual that I can find.

Hoping someone else can help with this, I'm going crazy. Also would be nice to know how to reset the oil change due message after the oil change is completed.

I can change the oil change interval from auto to manual but then it doesn't let me set the miles. It's all grayed out. I think the software on our CX-5s is a little premature. Hopefully updates coming soon and over the air.

I want to correct what I said about the two screens. Page 4 indicates Type A is for 2020, and Type B is for 2021. The tire pressures are shown for Type A and not for Type B on Page 47 of the manual.
Connected Services.JPG

I am very confused. I purchase a new 2020 CX-5 Signature about a month ago and I can't find the "vehicle monitor and alert" anywhere. I have the MyMazda app on my iPhone and I've looked through all the screens in the car and it is no where to be found. Please point me in the right direction! :)

The new infotainment in the 2021 CX-5 and CX-9, which is similar to the CX-30 and new Mazda 3, is actually called a gen 6.5 system by Mazda, not a gen 7 system like in CX-30, and will not show tire pressure.

Source:
Service Alert No.: SA-064/20

Attachments

• SA-64-20.pdf
    517 KB · Views: 243
I am very confused. I purchase a new 2020 CX-5 Signature about a month ago and I can't find the "vehicle monitor and alert" anywhere. I have the MyMazda app on my iPhone and I've looked through all the screens in the car and it is no where to be found. Please point me in the right direction! :)
It's not in the car, only the app. Open the MyMazda app and login. At the bottom of the screen are five icons. Press "Status". When that screen opens, just below the photograph, is a small arrow pointing up. Press that and the screen expands as shown in the image I posted above.

Some other features (besides the Remote start) can be accessed by pressing the three lines at top right. That opens a new menu. Under MyMazda you can access the car manuals and search for recalls.

Edit: Another possibility that occurred to me in a response to Ladd in another thread is that you need to have the MyMazda subscription to get the full functionality of the app. The 2021s come with three years free.

Mark

Last edited:
The new infotainment in the 2021 CX-5 and CX-9, which is similar to the CX-30 and new Mazda 3, is actually called a gen 6.5 system by Mazda, not a gen 7 system like in CX-30, and will not show tire pressure.

Source:
Service Alert No.: SA-064/20

Thanks Hawke. That is very helpful. I'm guessing this is the final year of the CX-5 since they didn't make it a Gen 7 vehicle.

It's not in the car, only the app. Open the MyMazda app and login. At the bottom of the screen are five icons. Press "Status".

Edit: Another possibility that occurred to me in a response to Ladd in another thread is that you need to have the MyMazda subscription to get the full functionality of the app. The 2021s come with three years free.
That answers my question. in my MyMazda app, I have on four icons at the bottom of the screen, none of them "Status".

As to the subscription, can't say I've heard of that and know nothing about any subscriptions. I've been to the "Mazda Connect" website page and the only information there about Mazda Connect for the Sixth Generation is Navigation stuff. Seventh Generation has all the information you folks are talking about, so unless there is a subscription upgrade, looks like I'm out of luck.

Last edited:
There are two types of tire pressure monitoring systems.

One system uses pressure monitors that live inside of the tires. This system can display the individual pressures for each tire independently. The pressure monitors inside of the tires require a battery that has to be periodically replaced. The batteries in some of these systems last a long time and others, not so long. The batteries will have to be replaced at some point though, no getting around that. In most cases you can tell if you have this system by looking at the valve stems as the monitors are inside of the stems and inside of the wheels.

The second system does not use sensors inside of the tires and can not display individual tire pressures. This system does not use batteries so there's no need to worry about replacing them. This type of pressure monitor uses the vehicles ABS system to keep an eye on the pressure in the tires. An under inflated tire has a smaller outside diameter than a properly inflated tire and rotates at a different rate. The ABS system can tell when one wheel is rotating at a different rate than the others. If a tire has a different amount of air pressure inside of it than another tire(s) (say there's a puncture) the system detects this and triggers a warning. The system won't tell you which tire is rotating at a different rate, just that one of them is. This system works on the differential between rotation rates of the tires.

If all the tires have the same rotation rate (thus the same pressure) then a warning will not be generated.

Read that last sentence again. What this means is that if ALL of your tires have low pressure you will not get a low pressure warning because all the tires are rotating at the same rate and the system can't detect any differences between them. That's the major disadvantage of this type of TPMS.

I have a 2016.5 CX-5 GT and it has the ABS type of TPMS.

My motorcycle has the first type with individual readouts for each wheel. I believe that some model years of CX's have this type as well. Check your valve stems.

Last edited:
There are two types of tire pressure monitoring systems.

One system uses pressure monitors that live inside of the tires. This system can display the individual pressures for each tire independently. The pressure monitors inside of the tires require a battery that has to be periodically replaced. The batteries in some of these systems last a long time and others, not so long. The batteries will have to be replaced at some point though, no getting around that. In most cases you can tell if you have this system by looking at the valve stems as the monitors are inside of the stems and inside of the wheels.

The second system does not use sensors inside of the tires and can not display individual tire pressures. This system does not use batteries so there's no need to worry about replacing them. This type of pressure monitor uses the vehicles ABS system to keep an eye on the pressure in the tires. An under inflated tire has a smaller outside diameter than a properly inflated tire and rotates at a different rate. The ABS system can tell when one wheel is rotating at a different rate than the others. If a tire has a different amount of air pressure inside of it than another tire(s) (say there's a puncture) the system detects this and triggers a warning. The system won't tell you which tire is rotating at a different rate, just that one of them is. This system works on the differential between rotation rates of the tires.

If all the tires have the same rotation rate (thus the same pressure) then a warning will not be generated.

Read that last sentence again. What this means is that if ALL of your tires have low pressure you will not get a low pressure warning because all the tires are rotating at the same rate and the system can't detect any differences between them. That's the major disadvantage of this type of TPMS.

I have a 2016.5 CX-5 GT and it has the ABS type of TPMS.

My motorcycle has the first type with individual readouts for each wheel. I believe that some model years of CX's have this type as well. Check your valve stems.
That is correct. The manual that came with my '21 CX-5 signature states that it has individual sensors in each wheel. Plus our car lacks the reset button that is necessary for ABS type systems. I can't think of any reason whey the '21 CX-5 won't show tire pressures. Maybe it will show up in a future software update.

Does the 2020 CX-5 show tire pressures on either the screen or the app?

Back