2021 No touch screen

Does anyone have any insight on the new 2021 interface as well how it works without the touch option now? Will it be missed?

I have always been told Carplay was designed for touch, so how well is this going to work with just the knob?

I did not by the RDX due to the touchpad only.

Let me know what you think?

Comes down to personal preference. I have a feeling it won't be well received by auto reviewers as most of the better infotainment systems out there are touch-enabled to some degree. Personally I've never used the touchscreen for anything - but I also don't use AA/ACP.

I think if you're used to touchscreen infotainment and you aren't familiar with Mazda's infotainment, you won't like it at first. If you're willing to take the time to learn how to use it efficiently, you might find that it works just fine, but again it depends on personal preference.

I’ve only had my 2021 for 4 days, but so far I am fine with no touchscreen. Only took 1 day not to reach for the screen. 😬
I do like ACP and the controller knob scrolls through ACP display pretty seamlessly.
This is my first Mazda, so can’t compare to the previous screen (and SW). My other cars have touchscreens.

In a perfect world, having both the knob and touch screen would be great but i am used to not having the touch and its only been a week in the 2021's.

How does the interface compare to the old one? Is it faster? Reports say the old one was sluggish. Easier to use? Pros and cons?

My 2021 cx5 infotainment system seems reasonably snappy to me. I haven’t noticed any lags to inputs and boot up is quick.

It’s a quirky interface and it does take some time to learn how to effectively use all the controls - you want to spend the time to learn how the buttons surrounding the main command knob can be used in various situations. I have been able to use CarPlay without any major issues.

Touchscreens are great when stationary but really suck in a car bouncing over rough pavement. I wish Mazda had kept the touchscreen for stationary use rather than go totally console controls on the 2021. Probably a cost saving thing.

- Mark

An GPS SD card does not just store map data. It also contains programs on how to interpret the data. Since the MID of 2021 is new, I would also assume a 2020- version of GPS SD card won't work on a 2021.

who used the factory GPS anymore? ACP/AA is the way to go. Personally, I think they should remove GPS from all cars.

who used the factory GPS anymore? ACP/AA is the way to go. Personally, I think they should remove GPS from all cars.

I do like that it displays the next street coming up on the audio screen. That wouldn't be available if they got rid of it altogether. It's also easier to just turn it on in a hurry if you don't have your phone plugged in to AA. If they ever get around to showing directions on the HUD using AA, it might lose a little more value to me, though.

Factory GPS integrates steering angle and speed into the computation. When GPS signal is lost, the factory GPS continues to extrapolate your projected location and heading.
e.g. in forests, or big parking structure, etc. GPS will be weak or lost.
Small advantage. Just saying.. :)

Actually helped me out once bigtime. Middle of nowhere with NO cell signal and 27 miles left DTE in the tank. Pulled up a list of gas stations in the Mazda GPS and breathed a sigh of relief finding one only 12 miles away.

I have always been told Carplay was designed for touch, so how well is this going to work with just the knob?

Even with the previous models (e.g. my 2019) Carplay and A.Auto did not work with the touchscreens - even though the touchscreens work for the other stuff.

I do like that it displays the next street coming up on the audio screen. That wouldn't be available if they got rid of it altogether.
In addition, it warns of speed/red light cameras coming up, even if you don't have Nav engaged. Nice!

Back