2021 CX-5 Navigation SD card?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I would appreciate if someone has first hand experience, on where I can purchase and the SD number for a 2021 CX-5. Thank you. Ed

I bought mine from Nav_kings on eBay. Works fine, but I haven't tried to connect it to Mazda Toolbox yet.

The card number and potential issue is in this post:

Mark

Upvote 0
The biggest advantage of native nav is that it’s always there, regardless of whether your phone is available or connected. And since the CX5 doesn’t have wireless AA or CP, connecting must be done by cable which can be inconvenient.

It probably isn’t worth the $300+ list price for the card, but if you can get native nav for $50 or so, might be well worth it to many.

- Mark

Upvote 0
Why not use google maps on your phone? These nav systems are archaic.

But eBay has them for sale.
I use Waze for all trips further than the mailbox stand. I’d spring for $50 or so in a heartbeat for TSR - traffic sign recognition- on the HUD if I had either on my 16.5.

Upvote 0
I use Waze for all trips further than the mailbox stand. I’d spring for $50 or so in a heartbeat for TSR - traffic sign recognition- on the HUD if I had either on my 16.5.
That's mainly why I bought it, to unlock more of the functions of the HUD. It also adds the speed limit to the dash.

Not that confident using it for navigation. Just driving from my house to the highway, the nav first tried having me turn up a paper street that has never existed, then up another street that has been closed for decades. Even if that street was open, it made no sense to drive that way. I'll probably run it in parallel with Google maps and see how they compare.

Mark

Upvote 0
Certainly doesn't hurt anything TO have it. Many times I run both it and Google Maps. Almost always the same. It has gotten some things wrong. Saying the restaurant was HERE but it was actually another half mile down the road.
I was in rural Ohio once, no cell signal, low on gas. It was reassuring to be able to pull up maps in the car and know instantly how far away and which direction gas was. My wife was blown away.
"How the hell are you getting a signal on that..."
It doesn't use that kind of signal, babe.
Not to mention if your car is truly loaded... it should have in dash nav. Doesn't hurt at resale time either. ;)

Upvote 0
I was in rural Ohio once, no cell signal, low on gas. It was reassuring to be able to pull up maps in the car and know instantly how far away and which direction gas was. ..... ;)
This. A dedicated GPS solution always wins over a phone for this reason. Sure you could attempt to download all the maps to your phone ahead of time, maybe. But then you hear about the world's largest dryer lint ball and you go to the next state where you didn't download maps to your phone and you are back stuck without proper navigation.

Upvote 0
I bought the SD Nav card for my 2020 model. Didn't come with it even on my Signature. My sales lady knew someone who had the card and wanted to sell it. So I bought it used for about $300US. It's fine for the city but stinks when you get out in the country. Shows the roads ok but un named. The WAZE application is far better and names all the roads you are on in the country...if they have a name. All the warnings about traffic jams, accidents, police checks etc. on WAZE are reaĺly usefull. I very much regret having spent the money for the card. I never use it.

Upvote 0
I bought the SD Nav card for my 2020 model. Didn't come with it even on my Signature. My sales lady knew someone who had the card and wanted to sell it. So I bought it used for about $300US. It's fine for the city but stinks when you get out in the country. Shows the roads ok but un named. The WAZE application is far better and names all the roads you are on in the country...if they have a name. All the warnings about traffic jams, accidents, police checks etc. on WAZE are reaĺly usefull. I very much regret having spent the money for the card. I never use it.
I think your sales lady lied to you.

Pitter,

You paid $300 for a used Nav card? It's my understanding that if a Nav card is inserted into the card reader and the car is driven at least 63 miles, that card is now mated to that car and can not be used in another vehicle.

Also, have you tried to update the maps on that card using Mazda Toolbox?

Upvote 0
I did try once quite a while back but now I don't remember the outcome however I don't think there was any change. I didn't know about the mating. As I said above it seems to work ok just without the rural road names that WAZE provides.

Upvote 0
I did try once quite a while back but now I don't remember the outcome however I don't think there was any change. I didn't know about the mating. As I said above it seems to work ok just without the rural road names that WAZE provides.

Well, if it works then it works. Perhaps that card was never mated to another vehicle.

Try again with the toolbox.

Upvote 0
No, I'm saying, I think his car DID come with the card which she conveniently removed. He bought a Signature. The Columbian (I think I remember, aren't you the guy from Columbia?) HIGHEST TRIM CX5 doesn't come with a Nav card? I call BS. She took it out and sold him his own card back...

Upvote 0
No, I'm saying, I think his car DID come with the card which she conveniently removed. He bought a Signature. The Columbian (I think I remember, aren't you the guy from Columbia?) HIGHEST TRIM CX5 doesn't come with a Nav card? I call BS. She took it out and sold him his own card back...

Gottcha! I'd lay odds that you're right.

Upvote 0
Possible of course but I think it is true that Mazda no longer supplies the card in Colombia with new car sales. You can purchase it through the parts department. Anyway no one here abouts is going to purchase it (except foolish me) since the WAZE app is free and coverage is in real time. Live and learn.

Upvote 0
Back