2021 CX-9 Rumors

Hi, new to the forum, and currently very much in the market for a CX 9.

With the availability of captain's chairs as an option, the only other thing I think they could refresh is to give the 2021 CX 9 the Mazda3's infotainment.

The dealerships are very tight lipped on next year's models (for good reason). I was wondering if anyone heard of any major refreshes/changes to car.

I have no info on 2021 changes, but I will say I'd think dealers would be far more willing to discount now than say late fall when 2021 becomes available. If there is no significant second wave of covid, and things really start opening in few months, people who put off buying might flood dealers. Will be sellers market.

Now, one can assume theyre twiddling thumbs and sitting on inventory. Make them low offer, who knows.

Depending on your situation, might be a consideration.

The next generation large Mazda platform isn't expected until 2023. The CX9 won't be getting any major updates until then at the earliest.

I'd expect only minor cosmetic tweaks until then. The only thing it's outright missing relative to the competition is maybe a big sunroof. The electronics could use a refresh as well.

The next generation large Mazda platform isn't expected until 2023. The CX9 won't be getting any major updates until then at the earliest.

I'd expect only minor cosmetic tweaks until then. The only thing it's outright missing relative to the competition is maybe a big sunroof. The electronics could use a refresh as well.

Personally I don't think they'll do a pano or dual sunroof until the next gen. I foresee only minor updates as you mentioned, such as infotainment, general quality of life upgrades (side mirror memory tied to seat memory, revisions/improvements to safety tech, maybe individually displayed TPMS, improved keyless [touchpad on back of handle instead of button on front], etc.), and cosmetic differences like refreshed front grille/bumper, rear bumper, and wheel style. Maybe a very mild HP bump.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I know that the current portfolio will remain as-is until 2023, which is great for me personally as I won't be losing any features/redesigns.

My biggest concern is the infotainment, specifically the software. Do you think the Mazda3's infotainment can be slotted into the CX9 at a later date?

Two design problems with sun roofs. The glass is heavy, the bigger the heavier. You don't want added weight for gas economy, and you don't want weight up high which hurts handling. And, when the steel is removed the roof is weakened. Strengthening requires a steel frame around the sun roof that is heavier than the steel that was taken out...even more high weight.

Please share if you have more info on the 2021 & Mazda 100th Anniversary special edition. Love to replace our 2008 CX-9 and 2007 Mazda3 by the end of this year. Thx much in advance.

Please share if you have more info on the 2021 & Mazda 100th Anniversary special edition. Love to replace our 2008 CX-9 and 2007 Mazda3 by the end of this year. Thx much in advance.

Hold the front door. What?

There's going to be a 2021 CX 9 Mazda 100th Anniversary SE?

Yeah. Not sure if this isn’t just a mistake in the article. There seems to be a cx-9 on the photo (unless it is a cx-8). In canada, not sure how many we will get they may be hard to find, or may not sell at all. It is hard to say ( my dealer still has an orange miata special edition on the showroom that they can’t seem to sell.

Seems like a lot of hype for what is essentially white paint and red interior trim...

Seems like a lot of hype for what is essentially white paint and red interior trim...
That pretty much describes every special edition vehicle from every manufacturer ever brought out.
Don't forget to add in ridiculously inflated prices (and increased profits).

Agreed. At least it has a special interior color. Some special editions are just different wheels and a few badges here and there.

The article clearly states "this package is for Mazda's entire lineup" right at the top; more interesting I believe is the very last line of the article:

"We suspect they will eventually come to the U.S. market, but Mazda hasn't yet announced availability for our shores."

Back