2021 CX-9 GT cold downshift issue

I’m the new owner of a 2021 CX-9 GT AWD, coming from a 2018 Mazda6 GTR. One thing I noticed after a week is that when the drivetrain is cold, and I’m stopping at a stop light, the downshift from 2nd to 1st is quite harsh. Once everything warms up after a few miles there are no issues. Anyone experience this yet? Any ideas?

Is that in auto mode or manual mode? I can't say I've noticed any harshness when cold, if anything I'd say it's not quite as smooth when there's extreme cold outside.

I have not noticed this in my CX-9. It may be best to have the dealer diagnose under warranty.

My 2021 GT doesn’t exhibit that behavior. Downshifts are pretty much imperceptible unless I’m on the paddle shifters downshifting but even then the shifts are smooth and not harsh.

That’s weird that there’s a 2-1 shift when you’re coming to a stop. Just like when driving a manual, I don’t think the auto transmission would go into 1 until the car was at a dead stop.

You should try to drive in full manual mode downshifting to slow down and pay attention to the 2-1 shift, if you even need to do it.

Just throwing this out there ... could it be the brakes feel “grabby” as you‘re coming to a stop?

One thing I noticed about my 2017 is that when I'm at a stop, with the foot on the brake and the drive mode set to auto, the transmission appears to shift into neutral. I don't know this for a fact, but I did notice that the car doesn't feel like it's trying to pull away. And in fact, when I take the foot off the brake it doesn't lurch forward at all for about a quarter of a second. So maybe the issue is going into neutral at a stop?

However, it might also do the same by applying the brake (possibly part of the hill launch assist feature). Hard to say. I'll try and watch the RPMs when I come to a stop, that should give me some insight as to what exactly it's doing in that case. At any rate, assuming that this is a possible explanation, are you by chance coming to a stop while on a hill, either uphill or downhill?

I’m the new owner of a 2021 CX-9 GT AWD, coming from a 2018 Mazda6 GTR. One thing I noticed after a week is that when the drivetrain is cold, and I’m stopping at a stop light, the downshift from 2nd to 1st is quite harsh. Once everything warms up after a few miles there are no issues. Anyone experience this yet? Any ideas?

Our 2021 awd cx9 doesn't do this though I will pay closer attention and report back.

I will say our 2019 tahoe with a standard auto 6 speed does this when drivetrain is cold and vehicle isn't warmed up yet. After warmed all is well.

"are you by chance coming to a stop while on a hill, either uphill or downhill?"
In Florida?

Offroad, it's a warranty repair item. Can you video the lurch? Too often the service guy returns the car claiming "can't duplicate the problem." Because it lurches only when the engine is cold, plan on leaving the car overnight. Be sure the work order says everything you've said here in your postings...you want the tech to know as much about the problem as they need. Don't let the service writer just prescribe a fix--too often that doesn't work and you need to return for another try at the problem. After every symptom you know about it is written on the service order, then you can sign it and leave the car.

The CX9's torque converter uses a 'lock up clutch' to create a true 1:1 connection between the engine and the wheels. It should not do this at very low engine speeds so your CX-9 can take advantage of the torque multiplication that a torque converter provides.

If the torque converter fails to unlock at lower speeds, it may 'shutter' or feel rough. If your torque converter clutch (solenoid) is having a problem it should show a code.

I'd head to dealer. Take them on drive so you can 'show' them the issue.

We just got a CPO 2018 awd Touring 2 months now and also noted that 2nd to 1st shift change as you stop the vehicle. It’s noticeable small nudge shift change. Just wondering if you’re still experiencing it and if you’ve spoken to the dealer. Thanks for any updates.

I took the car into the dealer to diagnose the problem. They kept it overnight to check it out in the morning. They said that they found nothing wrong and that they never saw any major problems with this transmission. I still occasionally experience this cold shift issue. I’m going to make another appt and take them on a ride-along.

I took the car into the dealer to diagnose the problem. They kept it overnight to check it out in the morning. They said that they found nothing wrong and that they never saw any major problems with this transmission. I still occasionally experience this cold shift issue. I’m going to make another appt and take them on a ride-along.
I thought about taking it to the dealer too but I was thinking that they would tell me the same since there’s no check engine light on...thanks for replying..please keep us updated if they find something

I thought about taking it to the dealer too but I was thinking that they would tell me the same since there’s no check engine light on...thanks for replying..please keep us updated if they find something

It's a good idea to take it to the dealer anyway so that you can at least get the complaint on record. The dealer can't force you to do anything, so if you're suspicious about anything they say, or if they try to turn you away, just contact Mazda Corporate. Powertrain issues are covered through the factory powertrain warranty for up to 5 years/60k miles in the US.

Back