2021 CX-5 models arriving

Yeah I don't agree with how Mazda blatantly cuts costs. I guess I would rather have them increase MSRP than to have these hidden gotchas. They've been doing this for a couple years at least. The 2018 CX5 Touring used to have 19" wheels standard then in 2019, you're given AA/Carplay and the wheels reverted back to 17".

Next year, in 2022, they'll upsale you to have rear vents lol.

Last edited:

removing the rear usb, not providing nav on most models even the GT, thin paint, surface rust, thin windshields, cheap cameras, the ancient infotainment ec. and probably more.
All cost cutting. Not good to me. makes you wonder what else they cost cut on the engine parts or other elements :) to squeeze profit.
Well it’s a tough business, we the auto makers have to do cost cutting at all costs ⋯

Regarding Navigation, is it only available on Signature, does the SD card trick work on 2021 models?
And is it a non-touch screen even on Signature?

There will be a Carbon Turbo model, as well(with red seats, yeahh)? I wasn't aware of that. Sounds tempting.

Just got me 2021 CX-5 GTR yesterday which I chose after doing a lot of comparisons. It's a beautiful car and loved the ride back home. Gotta say though, few things bugged me just because I had very high expectations:

1. Rear camera has no trajectory lines (which I was led to believe otherwise thanks to this YT video of the new infotainment on a CX-9:
)
2. Windows / Moonroof do not automatically roll-up/close when you lock the car. And no apparent option to enable that. This is perhaps my biggest pet peeve because it's so basic. I wonder if this is built-in but disabled and could be overridden with some OBD2 tools
3. This doesn't really bug me but just in case it's helpful for someone else: The new infotainment screen is no longer touch even in P. Personally I never liked touch screens on cars, but wouldn't hurt to have the option when on P.
4. Seat memory: Would have been cool to store mirrors adjusted positions along with seat position, they essentially go hand in hand.

These are all pretty minor stuff I guess, it's still an absolutely great car!

I was interested in the Carbon turbo version, but, it appears that no NAVIGATION option? Is my assumption correct? A deal breaker for me. Ed

Just got me 2021 CX-5 GTR yesterday which I chose after doing a lot of comparisons. It's a beautiful car and loved the ride back home. Gotta say though, few things bugged me just because I had very high expectations:

1. Rear camera has no trajectory lines (which I was led to believe otherwise thanks to this YT video of the new infotainment on a CX-9:
)
2. Windows / Moonroof do not automatically roll-up/close when you lock the car. And no apparent option to enable that. This is perhaps my biggest pet peeve because it's so basic. I wonder if this is built-in but disabled and could be overridden with some OBD2 tools
3. This doesn't really bug me but just in case it's helpful for someone else: The new infotainment screen is no longer touch even in P. Personally I never liked touch screens on cars, but wouldn't hurt to have the option when on P.
4. Seat memory: Would have been cool to store mirrors adjusted positions along with seat position, they essentially go hand in hand.

These are all pretty minor stuff I guess, it's still an absolutely great car!
#1、2、4 are missing features since day 1 on CX-5 and Mazda just has no desire to add those features. For #3, my 2016 CX-5 does have touch screen when the car is stopped, not necessary has to be in Park if I remember it correctly. For #2, I don’t think Mazda designed a list of features where you can turn selected ones on or off with some software tool like VW / Audi. I hope you can at least have 30 more seconds of continuous power to shut the moonroof and windows manually once you turned the engine off (not on my 2016 CX-5 and it’s annoying).

Any particular reason you picked a 2021 instead of a 2020 CX-5 GT-R?

Any particular reason you picked a 2021 instead of a 2020 CX-5 GT-R?
Thanks for the insights, appreciate it. On the 2021, for 2 reason #1 I just liked the larger screen and the fact that it will be running the new Mazda infotainment software which means it's more likely to get more updates down the road since it's what Mazda will be using on new cars. And #2 I heard that the backup camera resolution got much better, and I can't confirm this even though I've the car now since I didn't try the pre-2021 models to compare. It looks pretty sharp though!

One more thing to add, I thought it doesn't make sense for me to be getting a 2020 right before 2021 is about to be released. The dealership told me that they had good incentives for 2020 but it still didn't make sense because when 2021 are actually released I knew I could get the 2020 at an even better price. At the very least I will be able to compare deals for both models and see what makes more sense for me. That was the theory at least lol, once I negotiated the 2021 and got a good deal I sort of went along with it and didn't bother to get a deal for a 2020 to compare.

)

First, congrats on the new vehicle. As far as trajectory lines in reverse, you'll notice that the youtube video shows the vehicle in 360 mode. The CX-5 Signature has trajectory lines, but only when in that mode. The GTR only has the one camera.

Does the CX-9 have the lines without being in 360 mode?

Took delivery yesterday of 2021 CX-5 Turbo AWD Carbon Edition. Like mix of features at a decent price point. I’ll have more to say after a week of driving.

- Mark

876AD2BE-FC74-41CC-9DAE-32FDEA5B6A0B.jpeg

Took delivery yesterday of 2021 CX-5 Turbo AWD Carbon Edition. Like mix of features at a decent price point. I’ll have more to say after a week of driving.

- Mark

View attachment 228189
Congrats!

Looks like Carbon Edition doesn’t come with black headliners that is a good thing!

Congrats!

Looks like Carbon Edition doesn’t come with black headliners that is a good thing!

I guess if I had my druthers I would have preferred the black headliner, but don’t feel strongly.....the white is brighter and less cave like.

- Mark

Hi all, first post but I've been lurking for a while researching the CX-5. Great to see the 2021 models starting to show up, here in the Boston area it has just been over the last week or so.

Mark, congrats on the Carbon. I was really interested in a Carbon Turbo, but then I realized it is missing a lot of features I want (heads-up display, heated mirrors and wipers, ventilated seats, paddle shifters), so looks like I'll be looking at the Reserve. Disappointing, as the CX-9 Carbon has most of those features included.

Hoping to find a 2021 Reserve in eternal blue mica in the next couple of months.

Mark

Last edited:
Mark, congrats on the Carbon. I was really interested in a Carbon Turbo, but then I realized it is missing a lot of features I want (heads-up display, heated mirrors and wipers, ventilated seats, paddle shifters), so looks like I'll be looking at the Reserve. Disappointing, as the CX-9 Carbon has most of those features included.

Mark
My sentiments exactly. I was looking forward to the Carbon until I found out it was a Touring model with a turbo motor, black 19" wheels and red leather seats. Way too many things left off for my taste.

As far as trajectory lines in reverse, you'll notice that the youtube video shows the vehicle in 360 mode. The CX-5 Signature has trajectory lines, but only when in that mode. The GTR only has the one camera.
Correct.
13:49
Mr. Sewell said signature has the 360 view and has the projection lines like the CX9's.

Back