2021 CX-5 Changing Favorites

MDdano

2021 CX-5 Signature
New 2021 CX-5 (Signature) owner here. I can’t figure out how to scroll through favorites (Sirius) with the steering wheel controls.
i have favorites stored, but when I use the fwd or back button on the steering wheel, it rewinds or forwards the song (like Playback Control) instead of changing the station. Also, the manual states the you can “slide” the volume knob right or left on the console to change stations, but the volume knob does not slide at all.
What am I missing?

You can rewind Sirius in the Signature? That's cool.

Here's how it's worked in other cars I've seen this in since no one else has an answer. Tapping the < or > buttons switches Favorites. Holding either of those, even briefly, does FFWD or RWD. Could you be holding it to long?

As for sliding the knob, the vol knob doesn't slide I don't think, could they be meaning the Commander Knob?

Thanks for responding.
I still can’t get Sirius favorites to change via steering wheel control. It works with AM, FM, and USB (fwd to the next song).
I believe the sliding Vol is for a different Mazda model.
I was waiting for more ‘21s to get out there to see if it’s just mine.

Dealer tells me that they checked with Distrct & Regional Mazda reps who said “...at this time that function is not available thru the steering wheel but didn’t rule out the possibility the system could be updated at some point in time.”
Very disappointing. ☹️ But, I do hope that they will update it as more get in the hands of owners.

I was confused about the "sliding volume button" on my 2021 as well. There is even a chart in the owners manual that clearly shows it can be moved left and right, but of course that's wrong.

Does anyone have any other tips on scrolling through Favorite radio stations? I understand how to save them and reorder them. But what if you have a mix of AM and FM stations? I've found that the steering wheel buttons can be used to scroll through favorites, but only FM or AM, not both at once. I guess that is good, but is there a fast way to switch from FM favorites to AM favorites? I'm currently using voice controls.

Mark

New 2021 CX-5 (Signature) owner here. I can’t figure out how to scroll through favorites (Sirius) with the steering wheel controls.
i have favorites stored, but when I use the fwd or back button on the steering wheel, it rewinds or forwards the song (like Playback Control) instead of changing the station. Also, the manual states the you can “slide” the volume knob right or left on the console to change stations, but the volume knob does not slide at all.
What am I missing?
I was watching The Straight Pipes videos on YouTube, trying to figure this out as well. (I picked up my 2021 GTR on Thursday.) I was watching the videos for the AWD 3 and CX-30, because those reviews show the new infotainment system. The volume knob on the console moves and it clearly labelled to do so. Checked, and that is not on my CX-5. Jacob and Yuri also complained that everything was focused on satellite rewind and you cannot scroll through satellite.

I was confused about the "sliding volume button" on my 2021 as well. There is even a chart in the owners manual that clearly shows it can be moved left and right, but of course that's wrong.

Does anyone have any other tips on scrolling through Favorite radio stations? I understand how to save them and reorder them. But what if you have a mix of AM and FM stations? I've found that the steering wheel buttons can be used to scroll through favorites, but only FM or AM, not both at once. I guess that is good, but is there a fast way to switch from FM favorites to AM favorites? I'm currently using voice controls.

Mark
The best thing I found was to go to the Favorites list by pressing the button with the star on it next to the controller knob. When you select the station there, it stays on that list, so you can select another.

My 2018 3 scrolled through all favorites, whether am, fm, or siriusxm, so this will take getting used to.

On my 2021 CX5 Sig, I can twist the command knob one click to the right to bring up my XM favorites list. Twisting the control knob to the right twice brings up the favorites list and moves the highlight to the next favorite down the list. I assume twisting the knob to the left will move you up your favorites list. Just twist the knob until you reach whichever favorite your looking for and then push the command knob to activate it. I’m not aware of a way to change sirius favorites via the steering wheel controls.

Last edited:
Dealer tells me that they checked with Distrct & Regional Mazda reps who said “...at this time that function is not available thru the steering wheel but didn’t rule out the possibility the system could be updated at some point in time.”
Very disappointing. ☹️ But, I do hope that they will update it as more get in the hands of owners.
Yes I hope they fix it. Really wrong to pay for an upgraded car and get downgraded entertainment and a feature taken away that previously worked OK but is now inhibited.

Same trouble as those above. Yes we can press the control knob to call up favorites and turn the dial to the next one but surfings channels is so much easier if you can just use the >> or << button like on most vehicles.

At least I know it CANNOT be done so I don't have to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Add me to this list. I actually went back to the dealer to ask what I was doing wrong. Rewind is kinda cool, if I wanted to . But I just want to change stations from the wheel like we did with our 2018 model.

I just upgraded from a 2017 to a 2021 CX-5 and am extremely disappointed that this feature doesn't work with Sirius. I think it's the one button I use the most. I was told by the tech guy that it worked when I picked it up yesterday but sadly it does not. Technology can be a gift or a curse! Hope Mazda fixes this.

Thank you all for this info on changing Sirius channels. I recently purchased a 2021 CX5 and have been going crazy trying to figure out how to do it using the steering wheel controls. I am disappointed that you can’t do it this way. It is so much easier than using the command knob or voice control . I think it is distracting as well. I do love the car, but not this feature.

Like everyone else on here, im really frustrated with the programming of the command system. I just recently bought a ‘21 CX-9 GT and I’m absolutely shocked by how terrible this infotainment system is. I already didn’t like the fact it was a scroll wheel vs. a touchscreen. The “it’s safer” line is a joke. I constantly find myself having to look down to see which button I’m pressing and it takes 40 times longer to make sure I’m scrolling the right direction to get from one place to another. Anyway, the entire operation of the radio is awful. I want to be able to seek channels by default, on AM/FM/Sirius if I push the seek button. The only way to skip to the next XM station is to call up “tuner controls” and then click the skip channel icon (top icon on the left) over and over.

They could have at least made the command wheel skip stations if you push it left/right or up/down, but all it does is make the little graphic on the screen move. At the same time it’s so frustrating that they left off the Audi-like volume button they put on 3/CX-30 that slides left and right to seek stations, while not even programming the seek buttons on the steering wheel ⏮/⏭ to do their very job. Rewinding or fast forwarding should be accomplished by holding those buttons down if someone wants that ability, not just simply clicking them.

Has Mazda done any software updates to the command system in the past year? My car was built July 2021.

I had a 2019 Mazda 3, and it too had the same issue with Sirius XM. It seems to be more to do with the way Sirius XM works than how the entertainment system works now. It sucks, and I submitted a request when I received my survey from Mazda on the 3 on suggestions. I had suggested that they add the option to be able to set the behavior of the up/down buttons on the steering wheel for Sirius XM to be able to cycle through favorites OR move forward/back through the tracks. Every other mode (phone audio, etc) works as you'd expect it to except Sirius XM.

I had a 2019 Mazda 3, and it too had the same issue with Sirius XM. It seems to be more to do with the way Sirius XM works than how the entertainment system works now. It sucks, and I submitted a request when I received my survey from Mazda on the 3 on suggestions. I had suggested that they add the option to be able to set the behavior of the up/down buttons on the steering wheel for Sirius XM to be able to cycle through favorites OR move forward/back through the tracks. Every other mode (phone audio, etc) works as you'd expect it to except Sirius XM.
This is an issue with the way they’ve programmed the infotainment system. I’ve had numerous cars with SiriusXM and none of them have done this.

This is an issue with the way they’ve programmed the infotainment system. I’ve had numerous cars with SiriusXM and none of them have done this.
Exactly. This is an issue with how Mazda has programmed their system. Mazda programmed the buttons to do something other than (what we all seem to agree would be) the expected function when using satellite radio. I'm not aware of any other auto manufacturer doing this.

I just picked up a 2024 CX-5 and it still operates this way WTF? Mazda.!
Another issue is all of my favorites are in one long list mixed with navigation favorites. Any way to group radio/contacs/Navi ?

Back