2021 CX-5 BSM system vs 2017 version

I traded in 2017 cx5 for 2021 cx5. First thing my wife and I noticed was the BSM system on the new 2021 would not recognize many of the vehicles on the passenger side as we passed them on the interstate. Our ability to judge distance in the passenger side mirror (objects in the mirror are closer than they seem ) has declined as we age and we found using the BSM light in the mirror to let us know when it was safe to return to the right lane was a wonderful thing. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.
Regards,
Jerry

Here's what the owner's manual says about the BSM in the 2021 CX-5. I compared this info with what's available in the 2017 owner's manual and it appears to be exactly the same.

My suggestion would be to visit the dealer and ask to test drive a similarly equipped 2021 CX-5 with BSM to see if it behaves the same as your 2021. If it doesn't, I'd have the dealer service department investigate further.

Also keep in mind that the manual includes the following warning:
"The system is only designed to assist you in checking for vehicles at your rear when making a lane change. Due to certain limitations with the operation of this system, the Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) warning indicator light, the warning sound and the warning screen indicator display may not activate or they might be delayed even though a vehicle is in an adjacent driving lane. Always make it your responsibility as a driver to check the rear."

That is to say, do not rely on the BSM to tell you if the lane is clear.

I always try to go the route of seeing front of the vehicle in my rear view mirror (the one on the windshield) in the next lane before merging. That way I'm sure to be passed the vehicle and not make them feel like I'm cutting them off.

Plus, with more vehicles having sensing cruise control, it sucks when someone merges close in front of you (when it's not necessary) and your vehicle hits the brakes.

Jerry,
Sounds like the the radar (in the corner of rear bumper) of passenger's side could be defected.
Assume that yours has no problem with the driver's side.
Take it to a dealer then. It is not normal.
As a matter of fact, compared to my '16 Mazda6's, the '17's is more sensitive.

I traded in 2017 cx5 for 2021 cx5. First thing my wife and I noticed was the BSM system on the new 2021 would not recognize many of the vehicles on the passenger side as we passed them on the interstate. Our ability to judge distance in the passenger side mirror (objects in the mirror are closer than they seem ) has declined as we age and we found using the BSM light in the mirror to let us know when it was safe to return to the right lane was a wonderful thing. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.
Regards,
Jerry
Jerry, I think that the Owner's Manual passage linked by sm1ke may explain what you (as well as I) are experiencing. Specifically, I am referring to this line.......... "The BSM detects vehicles approaching from the rear while traveling in the forward direction at a speed of 10 km/h (6.3 mph) or faster ....."

In my own experience, if I am being passed on the right (by some rude motorist), the BSM may or may not notify me. On the other hand, if I pass someone on his left (he is on my right), then the BSM does notify me, pretty much all the time.

I think that I am experiencing the same thing as you, in my 2021 Signature, and that it is behaving as designed.

Frank

Thanks for all the replies.

I read the owners manual as soon as I got home from the dealer, which was no short drive, the dealer is 130 miles away. I broke out the manual because after driving my 2017 for 4 years my noggin told me things were not the same. I did take it back to the dealer to be checked out and got a 2021 loner. The BSM operated the same way as the new 2021.

This morning I was notified to the results that I already knew, they found nothing out of the parameters put out by Mazda. On my way back to dealer I experimented with the system and have concluded that Mazda must have made adjustments to the speed censoring formula between your car and the one you are passing to determine if the BSM needs to be activated. If you pass a car on the right that is moving at a speed slower than you by a certain miles per hour the system will not activate. If I slowed to 70mph the BSM system activated on all traffic I passed on the Interstate.

I drove 46000+ miles in my 2017 and most was highway miles, of those thousands of miles I set my radar controlled Interstate speed at 78 mph. I can't tell you 100% that every vehicle I passed the BSM activated but I can tell you that every time I passed a big rig and I looked in the mirror it was lit up. If it was just me that noticed this I would let it pass, but my wife who drives much slower than me said the same thing after her first drive on the Interstate.

And for sure the rear view mirror is still there and I use it, but the rear seat head rest partially obscures the view out the back window on that right side passing situation.

This car also does not set off any alert when people are moving behind the car in a parking lot and it is put into reverse. My 2017 did.

My 2017 was a Cx5 Grand Touring with basic package
My 2021 Cx5 is a Grand Touring with GT premium package

Lesson learned, never expect a newer model of the same car to retain the things you think are perfect.

regards
Jerry

Regards,
Jerry
I reacted the same way you have with my 2020 GT with Premium. It does not work like my 2013 GT or the way my 2016 GT did. I think they made it smatter and in my opinion less functional and less safe. See my topic https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...right-blind-spot-works-1-3-of-time.123870446/

Read the entire thread, your observations perfectly mirror my situation. No doubt left in my mind that Mazda changed the BSM systems calculation formula since my 2017 came off the line.
Thanks for the link!

I think they had people complaining that there was room to move to an adjacent lane and the BSM light was on so they reduced the range a bit and try to not have it on at all if you are passing a car/truck on the right as you know he is there since you just passed them. Problem is I was 8 years trained that you could use BSM as an indicator of when you could go back to the right lane after passing and now you have to look. I purchased 2 inch moon mirrors that are cheap and stick on to the bottom of the car mirror for my failsafe BSM and I can also see the curb or parking line when parking - its my poor man 360 camera. My son has a new Audi Etron that has all the nearby sensors and they make so much racket he quit listening to them and backed into a wall...

We too also had a 2017 and now a 2021 and have noticed the tweaks with BSM. As stated above, they seem to have calibrated the unit to be less sensitive in my opinion.

Given the false alerts I had in the 2017, I've learnt to never trust BSM and still rely on the over the shoulder checking allowing BSM to be an additional check and alert.

Well, just as side note, the BSM in our 2014, (purchased in early 2013 with introduction of the 2.5L) was overly sensitive, and would beep when passing certain objects on the road such as traffic signs in the median and other things which might have been storm drain or something in the concrete medians. The software was good enough to suppress metal guard rails, but the traffic signs always surprised me. And it never had any rear cross traffic alert capability, so our 2021 seems to be miles ahead with its capabilities.

I also think the 2020 GT with Premium gives a bit less steering feedback than my 2013 GT or 2016 GT. I think they wanted a more plush feel and resulted is lower steering feedback, boo, hiss. It might be related to having to put feedback in the lane change/shake the wheel logic...

I am in same boat. 2017 touring to 2021 GT. I thought I was going crazy. The bsm on my passenger side seemed broken to me. I agree with what all of you are saying. My 17 went off in every situation and I too used it to be extra sure to pull back over after a pass. I experimented as well and if I pass cars whether on the left or right it will not go off. But if they approach from behind me they will go off. Although the passenger side still seems a little less sensitive. I would prefer it to be like the 2017, Overly sensitive over all. I’m glad others are seeing the same thing with the 2021. I have had the 2021 for 2 weeks. I was going to ask about it on my first oil change. This 2021 has been awesome. I love it.

Always make it your responsibility as a driver to check the rear."

That is to say, do not rely on the BSM to tell you if the lane is clear.
The same applies to all of these safety systems no matter which make and model it might be.

They are there to save you in the event of a mistake...maybe. They should be viewed as better than nothing. Or if nothing is preferred with one or the other, turn it off.

Evidently Mazda sought to eliminate false positives. Arguments can be made either way.
I always try to go the route of seeing front of the vehicle in my rear view mirror (the one on the windshield) in the next lane before merging. That way I'm sure to be passed the vehicle and not make them feel like I'm cutting them off.
This. The tried and true conventional wisdom.

Back