2021 CX-30 LKAS

I am looking at a 2021 CX-30. I understand it has Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS).

On my current Honda, its LKAS will drive you down the highway, not automated driving, but steering the wheel slightly to keep you in the lane around minor bends and corners in the road. It won't steer around major corners, and requires you to keep your hands on the wheel, but this feature is extremely relaxing on the highway.

I've heard other manufacturers have versions of LKAS that just flash a light warning you to stay in your lane without actually steering the car. What is Mazda's version of LKAS like? Does it turn the wheel to keep you centered in the lane around minor corners as you drive down the highway?

Good question...I did a brief search and found this page which I believe is related to your question...

Thanks. From the link description it looks like it operates a lot like Honda's system.

I see that LKAS is on many Mazda models – 2020s and the 5s and 9s.

Can someone who has it on their car describe how it works?

I was looking at a different brand of car. Someone mentioned that the LKAS vibrated the steering wheel a little, but was really too weak to keep the car in the lane.

I think that it depends on the market. This page describes the safety tech that Mazda currently offers.

In the US and Canada, the Lane-keep Assist System (LAS) that Antoine linked uses Lane Departure Avoidance, which will gently nudge the wheel in the opposite direction, but only if the vehicle begins to cross a lane-marking. Some markets, like Australia, offer Lane-Trace in addition to Lane Departure Avoidance as part of the LAS. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, Lane-Trace is not offered in the US and Canada. If you go to the MazdaUSA website and select the 2021 CX-30, on the i-Activesense Safety Technology page, they list Lane-keep Assist (aka Lane Departure Avoidance), but not Lane-Trace.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks. Very clear explanation.

I guess what I'm seeing on my present car would be called Lane Trace. I hope it's added to the Mazdas in the US market. It's one of my favorite features on my present car.

Thanks. Very clear explanation.

I guess what I'm seeing on my present car would be called Lane Trace. I hope it's added to the Mazdas in the US market. It's one of my favorite features on my present car.

Yeah, what you have on your current vehicle is similar to Mazda's Lane Trace (if it were available in the US or Canada).

I think a lot of the confusion stems from automakers and the way they all define certain systems. Lane Keep Assist is a pretty universal term, but many manufacturers have their own definitions for it. Very confusing.

Sm1ke is correct. I tested my dad's 2020 honda CR-V and in the Honda it is definitely lane trace. The car literally steers itself between the lanes.

In my 2018 mazda cx-9 Lane keep assist is only a lane departure warning system, it beeps and vibrates and gives a little nudge back towards the center of the line but thats it. The nudge isn't really that obvious either.

I have a 2019 CX-5 and the LKAS is a very (too) subtle rumble and nudge. I do like the LDW light flash however and find that really helpful.

Latest posts

Back