2021 Carbon looks like the sweet spot

:
cx5
At $32,060 MSRP including the turbo, AWD, the Preferred Package, leather and 19" wheels, this seems like a pretty good deal.

If you're man enough for the red leather interior, LOL. I love the Polymetal gray. I laughed at my brother when he leased a land Rover with red seats, but it's grown on me quite a bit. I had to admit to him I was wrong about them.

I wonder if excessive chipping and paint matching will be an issue like red and machine gray?

regarding turbo/performance --
seems like getting turbo is *only* way to have a cx5 that 's got better 0-60 compared to rav4/crv
OK I can do that, but the only innovation I'm interested in is HUD/Active Driving Display, how much would it cost to get a cx5 that's not slower than mine and that's got an HUD in it?

regarding turbo/performance --
seems like getting turbo is *only* way to have a cx5 that 's got better 0-60 compared to rav4/crv
OK I can do that, but the only innovation I'm interested in is HUD/Active Driving Display, how much would it cost to get a cx5 that's not slower than mine and that's got an HUD in it?
There's more to life than 0-60. I don't imagine you''ll be drag racing. Anyway, consider the following stats from Consumer Reports testing:

The differences between the CX-5 2.5L conventionally aspirated and that tiny block CR-V turbo are miniscule. The CR-V is around -4/10ths 0-60, -1/10 45-60, -1/10 in the quarter mile.

The only noticable difference in the RAV4 4 cylinder/6 speed is -9/10 45-60, but my experience s the CX-5 has sufficient giddyup for the expressway entrance ramp.

For drag racing, the RAV4 hybrid/CVT combo is where more noticable differences are found, but the dry braking is weaker.

There's a price to paid for a little more quickness. Just to start, If you read the reviews you'll see those competitors are loud when you press them; the CX-5 is quiter.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: Would you drag race a Miata? Of course not, and the CX-5 is about as close as you will get in this class at this price point. In daily driving, that translates to a quiter, more poised, more refined package. CX-5 is the driver's car in this class at this price regardless of what the drag racing stats might tell you.

Comsumer reports got a CX-5 outside wheel off the ground ripping around a turn and found no noticeable loss of control. You can probably attribute the CX-5's handling and feeling of security to the G-Vectoring system, a marketing name for how the engine / transmission / suspension / steering are integrated.

Then there's all the other important stuff--reliability (which is my first step in the process of elimination), gas mileage, seat comfort, appointments, user friendly controls, safety systems, cargo capacity, rear leg room, styling, yada, yada. CX-5 excels in some, not in others, so you have to decide how you'll use it and what is important to you.

For me the automatic shift points took some getting used, first to second is pretty low, second to third kinda low. Just gotta give it a little more gas on the get-go and it has a smooth take off. I'm used to V6 6-speeds so that might be the difference. Anyway, that could be where the lower gas mileage goes if you care about that.

Last but not least, if you plan on bombing around, the CX-5 has a paddle shifter standard. You'd have to check which of the other makes/models have that at which price points. I don't plan on using it but you might.

In short, I would say 0-60 is about the last thing to compare unless you plan on drag racing. In that case you don't want anything in this class at this price anyway.

I (and probably others) are not looking for 0-60 to determine a kill list. Rather, when in my 'spirited' driving mode I like to know that I can get in front of that other cars when it comes to the merge lane. Yeah, I'll admit it, I'm totally going nuts with my 250 hp & 320 lb/ft of torque, and yes, I learned in my Stage 2 WRX that there will always be faster cars than you, but in the CX-5 Turbo it's easier to sneak up and pass more cars than in other similar class cars

The ability to offer a turbo is a good problem. Lets take it back just 4 years ago to 2016. Everyone and their mama kept complaining Mazda's are too slow and need more power despite being in top tier of each class. Now in 2020-2021 Mazda puts their turbos in CX-5's, Mazda6, Mazda3, shoot even the CX-30 soon. Options are good!!!

The ability to offer a turbo is a good problem. Lets take it back just 4 years ago to 2016. Everyone and their mama kept complaining Mazda's are too slow and need more power despite being in top tier of each class.
To each his own, I suppose. so long as you understand the downsides of what you're getting. Anyway, my point is the CR-V or RAV4 is likely to leave folks disappointed if what they want is drivers car given the tradeoffs relative the CX-5 normally aspirated.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly the complaints were regarding the 155hp cx5, and were addressed in 2014 by the 184hp one, I don't think there were a lot of complaints about this one. It was good seven (and even two) years ago but it does not look impressive compared to current competition. Adding turbo to an old engine helps acceleration but I'm not sure it's an extremely technologically advanced solution. Low gas prices keep a ton of MPG complaints at bay for now. I guess Skyactiv-X was supposed to become their new flagship but somehow I don't see it around.

Does turbo get the same gas tank size btw?

I LOVE the polymetal grey over red interior combination!

Up close and personal the PMG has a little prism effect where under different lighting conditions it gives off different tints. Love it!

Tough choices to make. The Carbon trim level seems interesting but I don't think I need anything higher than GT.

Not sure why you have to be "man enough" to rock red leather seats. Lol this is 2020 not the 1950's, rock whatever the hell you want and don't feel insecure about it.

I had a Grey BMW 328i, with red leather and black wheels before. And if the Carbon edition had been released earlier, I would have waited for that.

I just put down a refundable deposit on an incoming AWD Turbo CX-5 Carbon. It hit the sweet spot for me with respect to being a little unique, being a 2021 with the upgraded infotainmen, and getting the turbo for a little less money than 2020 turbo trims. The interior and exterior colors are definitely not for everyone, but that's a good thing in my book.

- Mark

The question I have is - exactly what does it come with? From what I am reading it gets the Touring level trim with the Touring Preferred package and of course has leather which the Touring doesn't have, but this means it won't have a lot of the cool features the GT has such as HUD, cooled front seats and heated rear seats. A big one for me is the lighting. Does it have the LED rear lights from the GT or the incandescent units of the touring? I am waiting to see an official list.

Please share photos of the model. I'm wondering if looks as great in natural light as the promo material released online.

Please share photos of the model. I'm wondering if looks as great in natural light as the promo material released online.

There are a bunch of pictures on google if you search "polymetal grey metallic". Many of them appear to be unedited dealer stock photos in clear daylight. Here's a video:

Near the end of the video, while he quickly goes over the engine, the car is in direct sunlight. You should be able to get a good idea of how it would look in person.

Back