2020 CX-5 Key Fob

:
2020 CX-5 GTR
I noticed my 2020 CX-5 key fob is a lot less sensitive than my 2018 CX-5 key fob. With the 2018 key fob, I was able to lock/unlock my car from far way and through walls, but the 2020 key fob can't reach as far.

Is there a reason why they "downgraded" the key fob?

2020 Key Fob.jpg

Is there a reason why they "downgraded" the key fob?

Yes.
Will any one on this forum have a definite answer - no.

Some guesses.

* changes in frequency used in the remote to reduce interference
* changes in power consumption (power of the transmit) for longer battery life
* changes antenna to reduce weight / material cost

And in what scenarios does the auto lock feature not work?
Here's one scenario that I've encountered more than once. I arrive home, get out of the car and walk to the back and press the button to open the hatchback. I then grab the groceries I just bought, press the button to close the hatchback and immediately walk towards the house with the groceries. The car does not lock itself in this scenario.

Here's one scenario that I've encountered more than once. I arrive home, get out of the car and walk to the back and press the button to open the hatchback. I then grab the groceries I just bought, press the button to close the hatchback and immediately walk towards the house with the groceries. The car does not lock itself in this scenario.
Maybe you could wait for about 5 seconds for the hatch to close and walk away? as long as you are within range of the rear hatch or one of your front doors when the hatch closes......it should auto lock.

Maybe you could wait for about 5 seconds for the hatch to close and walk away? as long as you are within range of the rear hatch or one of your front doors when the hatch closes......it should auto lock.
Yes but that defeats the purpose of auto-lock which not having to think about locking the car. I also could walk away and lock with the key fob which is what I usually do now that I'm aware of this scenario.

Here's what I do in the same scenario.

Exit the drivers side and as I'm getting out I press the lock on the drivers armrest. Walk to the back and press the hatch button, remove groceries and press the close hatch button. The other four doors are locked and stay locked.

Thread cleaned...As a general reminder, be helpful (not condescending) when posting and keep threads on topic. Thanks.

I'm comparing my '21 key fob (bigger one) to my previous '16 key fob (smaller)

The '21 range is so bad that it only works within 10 feet.
The '16 one was working half a block away from the car and I even used it to locate the car on parking lots.

I blamed the batteries, and I was partially right. The brand new fobs come with Panasonic and 3.03V in them. To compare, Amazon Basics ones that I bought two years ago are now at 3.26V, and some no-name ones that I got don't remember when are at 3.46V.

When I put no-name ones the range improves but insignificantly, maybe up to 20 feet, which is still a joke compared to what I'm used to with my good old '16 CX5.

Question: is there any way to replace new fobs with the old ones?

20211130_192832.jpg
20211130_193133.jpg

Last edited:
Back