2020 GTR with 300 miles has rear brake scoring

:
2020 CX-5 GTR
I have a 2020 GTR that i presently has 375 miles on . I got it with 4 miles on and have been driving it lightly since I picked it up on July 31. I took a walk around the vehicle today to look at tire pressures and brakes and found the rotor on the driver's side rear brake had some scoring on it already. The others were all ok as expected. I have been trying to adhere to the quasi 'break-in' period of 600 miles. I certainly have been careful not to make any hard stops and have even resisted jumping on the throttle (as much as I'd love to do so on this turbo.)

The scoring is visible as two rings (one wider than the other). It doesn't feel like it has dug in very deep yet and I'm actually not sure but it might feel like it may actually be higher in the ringed area like the pads are not contacting in this area. I don't even know if that is possible but it tells me that the variance high or gouged can not be too advanced at this point with less than 400 miles on it and no hard stops.

I've attached some images of the wheel and brake components. I'm not sure what the brown coating is on the rotor. I think before this car went to prep the rotors looked rusted it but maybe this is some kind of protection coating. Also there seems to be a good deal of dust on the wheels mixed in with some kind of oily detailing substance which seems to be a bad idea to use around disc brakes.

I'd appreciate some suggestions being that the car is still new and should not have this issue. A trip to the dealership service dept. may be worthwhile to at least have it documented ?

Attachments

• IMG_2862.jpg
    IMG_2862.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 215
I have a 2020 GTR that i presently has 375 miles on . I got it with 4 miles on and have been driving it lightly since I picked it up on July 31. I took a walk around the vehicle today to look at tire pressures and brakes and found the rotor on the driver's side rear brake had some scoring on it already. The others were all ok as expected. I have been trying to adhere to the quasi 'break-in' period of 600 miles. I certainly have been careful not to make any hard stops and have even resisted jumping on the throttle (as much as I'd love to do so on this turbo.)

The scoring is visible as two rings (one wider than the other). It doesn't feel like it has dug in very deep yet and I'm actually not sure but it might feel like it may actually be higher in the ringed area like the pads are not contacting in this area. I don't even know if that is possible but it tells me that the variance high or gouged can not be too advanced at this point with less than 400 miles on it and no hard stops.

I've attached some images of the wheel and brake components. I'm not sure what the brown coating is on the rotor. I think before this car went to prep the rotors looked rusted it but maybe this is some kind of protection coating. Also there seems to be a good deal of dust on the wheels mixed in with some kind of oily detailing substance which seems to be a bad idea to use around disc brakes.

I'd appreciate some suggestions being that the car is still new and should not have this issue. A trip to the dealership service dept. may be worthwhile to at least have it documented ?
Looks like there may be some small rocks somehow got stuck between disk pad and rotor causing the scoring. If you’re concerned, take your CX-5 GT-R to your Mazda dealer soon so that the situation won’t be getting worse.

I'm not sure if I can see it clearly enough except they look slightly rusty.

Minor grooves shouldn't make too much difference. The pads wear in and adjust to minor deviations. A foreign object stuck in their might cause some rings but unless it was a fairly deep gouge I wouldn't worry.

Same on mine since new. It will be ok. Don't worry too much. Your brakes are already ready to be used fully, no need to wait for break-in for them with the miles you have.

Back