2020 CX-5, way to disable "Engine Harmonics Enhancer" (Fake Engine Noise)?

Agreed, with many above. I don't need fake engine noise. I would rather have a quiet cabin. I did not know Mazda had this and i took a test drive of a Sig two weeks ago and i came back and told the sales rep i thought the engine was louder then i would have liked.

I left the dealer thinking this car was much louder then when i helped a friend get a Touring model. Not cool.

The question here again. Can this be turned off???
You would think it would at least give you the option of what kind of engine, ragged V8 idle rumble, etc.
I would opt for a V12 or maybe straight 6.

My Volkswagen GTI had this..was pretty common on models from 2007 Forward . I believe it was called the Soundkator. If you put the car in “sport” mode it adjusted the volume of the fake engine noise to make it sportier (louder).
I can confirm this, though it was a speaker of sort in the engine bay that I disconnected. But the question I'm wondering is, has anyone confirmed that the engine noise is really pumped through the speakers or in the case of VW a separate speaker in the engine bay? Or is it just harmonics coming from the engine bay? I mean, easiest way would be to disconnect the speakers or just pull the fuse on the entertainment system or whatever drives the speakers...

Can anyone confirm that this "engine harmonics enhancer" is or isn't on the 2021 2.5T CX5? Other than this post and one on an MX5 forum I've seen no mention of it in any of the things I've read about the 2021 CX5. I've had my 2021 CE TURBO AWD for a couple of weeks now and haven't noticed anything like fake engine noise but I'd be interested in knowing if this is a real thing. Thanks!

I believe I can hear it in my 2021 GTR, but only when I push the pedal pretty hard
It starts to make engine noise that reminds me of Mustang
The V6 one they don't make any more, not those more recent turbo Mustangs, turbo Mustangs are disgusting dynamics and noise wise

The noise is pretty interesting and gives an impression of driving/owning a bit better car than GTR actually is

Last edited:
If anything, what they should be do is the opposite of fake engine noises. Instead, they should be using the stereo for noise cancelation.

If anything, what they should be do is the opposite of fake engine noises. Instead, they should be using the stereo for noise cancelation.
The literature about the Bose system says that it does offer noise cancelation to block out road noise etc. There is no mention of any engine harmonics enhancer in any of the information about the 2021 or anything about piped in or artificial engine noise. I haven't noticed anything in mine but I've also only owned it for a couple of weeks.

I'm fairly confident my 2.5t has this 'enhancement'.

Swapping to and from the corksport intake to the stock intake, under full throttle, there is a common sound that comes from the front foot wells (speakers).

It sounds similar to intakes I've had on previous NA cars. Being that it doesn't change with the different intakes, it's gotta be fake engine noises.

I thought it was something in the exhaust. But this document explains the 'active engine sound function' in detail.

I think a test would be to drive with a door open, or the liftgate open, as apparently this bypasses the 'feature'.

Side note; I remember counting 3 fuses in the engine bay for 'bose'. Weird that there would be 3 for the sound system. I'm wondering if one of those is what controls it.

Attachments

• Bose.pdf
    842.2 KB · Views: 137
I'm fairly confident my 2.5t has this 'enhancement'.

Swapping to and from the corksport intake to the stock intake, under full throttle, there is a common sound that comes from the front foot wells (speakers).

It sounds similar to intakes I've had on previous NA cars. Being that it doesn't change with the different intakes, it's gotta be fake engine noises.

I thought it was something in the exhaust. But this document explains the 'active engine sound function' in detail.

I think a test would be to drive with a door open, or the liftgate open, as apparently this bypasses the 'feature'.

Side note; I remember counting 3 fuses in the engine bay for 'bose'. Weird that there would be 3 for the sound system. I'm wondering if one of those is what controls it.
Thanks for the post! I honestly haven't noticed any artificial engine noise in the 10 months I've had my '21 2.5T but I'll definitely keep an ear out for it now. Your logic is sound (pun intended) but if you're right and there is engine harmonics it's not terrible and not as noticeable as I feared when I first heard about it just prior to taking delivery of mine. I'll be sure to post if I come to any conclusions about it. Very weird that nobody else seems interested in this. One question: where did you find that Bose PDF? Thanks again!

Back