2020 CX-5 Signature: Are Homelink buttons active with car powered off?

I'm a little late to this, but I have never owned a vehicle with Homelink that powered off with the vehicle. I always park our cars in the garage, so it's not a big deal to me. If I were to live in a shady area and had to park outside, I would just hit the "vacation" button on the wall unit as I walked in.

I'm not saying you're wrong for having an opinion. But... "Some have a safety first view" ... come on man. I believe in safety. One of the reasons I bought a house in a very safe neighborhood where people don't live in fear that someone might activate their homelink buttons. ;) I'm also willing to bet the number of crimes worldwide that have been committed by using 'hot' homelink buttons is minute. In my opinion I think it's a non existent threat.

Clearly we have different views. Your opinion is that it's a non-existent threat. I disagree. I do think we can both agree that there are severe implications if is exploited.

Someone stealing the garage fob does happen, but it's rare. It happened to a co-worker of mine.
He parked his car in the same underground garage at work everyday.
Thieves broke into the car, found his address from the ownership papers he kept in his glove box, took the garage door opener thingy, and took a drive out to his place.
They had all day to rummage through his house.
He didn't even realize his car had been opened because the thieves took care to close and lock the doors again.
When he got home, the garage door was down, but when he walked into his house he saw the looting that took place. He was not a happy camper.

One thing I do now is I lock the door going into the house from the garage.
I used to keep it unlocked. At least now if someone gets into my garage, they only steal stuff from there and not from inside the house.

It probably would be a simple matter for Mazda to make the "Homelink usable while car off" configurable in the user interface if Mazda chose to. Similar to how one can disable the rain sensing wiper functionality.

There should be a lot of options in there. Looking at you, Mazda. :D

Back