2020 CX-5 observations and reviews

:
2017 CX-5
There was a window when 2019 deals were to be had, but the limited availability of GT-Rs and Sigs made that brief around here...so here we are: 2020. So far it looks to me like a pretty significant price hike with limited content changes, including some (like the key fob and nav) for the worse.

I'd be interested in the observations of anyone who tests one, or in good reviews. A lot of the videos appearing under "2020" are actually of 2019s.

This one (from Canada...look at all those block heaters!) is only one I could find at the moment of a 2020 with a 2.5T engine. The video compares it with the 2017 GT. 2020 interior starts at @ 10:17...some footage of paddle shifters and 8 inch screen.

ETA link ;-)

Last edited:
a direct link would be nice..

what is the price hike from 2019 Sg to 2020 Sg? they only difference i see is really the addition of the bigger Nav screen which is a plus, updated AWD for off road, more noise deadening, Improved engine noise, and 10 addtional lbs of torque.

My post and reaction to price hike was based on reading this:

"Jumping into the fancier Grand Touring trim reveals a $31,255 price tag, which comes with paddle shifters now. That's also $1,210 more than last year, mind you.

It's not until the CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve trim with a $36,080 price tag (also $1,210 more) that the naturally aspirated 2.5-liter inline-four engine gets swapped for the more powerful turbocharged version."

But after doublechecking based on your question, I don't think that is accurate. I just came up with $165 difference looking at GT-R price on the Mazda site, accounting for destination fee.

Apologies for getting that started off on an incorrect note.

a direct link would be nice..

what is the price hike from 2019 Sg to 2020 Sg? they only difference i see is really the addition of the bigger Nav screen which is a plus, updated AWD for off road, more noise deadening, Improved engine noise, and 10 addtional lbs of torque.
Plus paddle shifters.

And they make everyone else pay an up-charge for the NAV system.

The rest are tough to tease out, because the Specs sections are based on incremental features from lower trims. So some additions may be buried in changes to the lower 2020 trims...this makes it tough to cleanly compare to 2019 specs unless you wanna start with comparing lower trims and work your way up. And all that depends on trusting the accuracy of the website data.

You gotta wonder where that 10 ft# of torque comes from...is this a different engine or a different turbo unit or just an ECU tweak?

And an "Engine Harmonics Enhancer"...probably something like the sound tube they used in the Miata, which piped intake noise into the cabin.

Plus paddle shifters.

And they make everyone else pay an up-charge for the NAV system.

The rest are tough to tease out, because the Specs sections are based on incremental features from lower trims. So some additions may be buried in changes to the lower 2020 trims...this makes it tough to cleanly compare to 2019 specs unless you wanna start with comparing lower trims and work your way up. And all that depends on trusting the accuracy of the website data.

You gotta wonder where that 10 ft# of torque comes from...is this a different engine or a different turbo unit or just an ECU tweak?

Considering the same 10 lbs bump in the CX-9 (which is the same engine) my money is on an ECU tune.

And don't get me started on the NAV being dropped from the Reserve. I don't care for the navigation but I love the traffic sign recognition. I'll pick up an SD card (or maybe get the dealer to throw it in) after purchase.

Considering the same 10 lbs bump in the CX-9 (which is the same engine) my money is on an ECU tune.

And don't get me started on the NAV being dropped from the Reserve. I don't care for the navigation but I love the traffic sign recognition. I'll pick up an SD card (or maybe get the dealer to throw it in) after purchase.

This thread inspired me to compare 2020 vs 2019 features on each trim. I posted a separate thread about it.

As you know, they stripped the NAV out of everything but the Sig, but the Sport (the lowest trim) now has iActiveSense (Rain-sensing wipers, auto on/off headlights, Smart Brake Support, Advanced Smart City Brake Support with Pedestrian Detection, Radar Cruise Control w/Stop & Go, Lane Departure Warning w/Lane-keep Assist, High Beam Control), so it's included in every 2020 trim.

Removing the Traffic Sign Recognition from trims that have the HUD is just plain stupid, not to mention the leg-up given to the competition that making the factory NAV a pay-for option has done.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Arcticshade, post: 6674898, member:

[/QUOTE]

Looks like Nav cards can be had on e-bay for $40 USD or so. If I get a GTR that is what I would do. I’m not paying dealer MSRP prices for a non-essential stuff. I really like Carplay for Nav these days.

Is sign recognition tied into the Nav system?
Yup.

The icons that display on the HUD (specific speed limits, do not enter and stop signs) are on the NAV card. They are not images taken from the camera.

From Page 4-128 of the 2019 manual:

The TSR operates only if the navigation system SD card (Mazda genuine) is inserted in the SD card slot. Consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer for details.

Edit to add: I forgot. If there are no speed limit signs visible, the system may display the speed limit that's stored in the NAV database for that location.

Last edited:
tsr gets the signs from the camera, but the nav is for redundancy when no signs exist.
Although on some smaller roads even the Nav does not show speed signs so TSR on the Hud shows nothing too.
And yes TSR HUD is tied to the NAV requirement.

tsr gets the signs from the camera, but the nav is for redundancy when no signs exist.
Although on some smaller roads even the Nav does not show speed signs so TSR on the Hud shows nothing too.
And yes TSR HUD is tied to the NAV requirement.

Just to clarify...

The TSR does get signs from the camera (with NAV dabase backup for the speed limit at that location), but the pictures you see on the HUD are images that reside on the SD Card. The camera sees the speed limit sign, and the HUD displays the appropriate stock image. So the NAV card is more than just backup/redundancy...no speed limit images are displayed without it. Or is that what you just said???

And I, too, have been on lots of rural roads here where no speed limit picture is displayed on the HUD. There are even areas where the sign says "Speed Limit Ends." Those are my favorite.

The only notable change that I can see (aside from making the activsense suite standard instead of a package and the resulting price increase) is the 1" larger screen for turbo models, everything else is so minor as to be inconsequential (different key, different emblem font). Nav will function the same as before, enabled by an $35 SD card from eBay, and they'll keep selling the same card for $400 at the dealer :) Actually, the Nav is always active regardless and will just show you your GPS coordinates without the maps from the SD card. That said, I'd rather have a 2020 purely for resale reasons, but I bought in August.

Last edited:
So the $35 eBay card will provide a fully functioning Nav system. I had heard the SD cards are somehow tied to each individual vehicle. Any issues getting map updates?

So the $35 eBay card will provide a fully functioning Nav system. I had heard the SD cards are somehow tied to each individual vehicle. Any issues getting map updates?
We got one for my wifes 2018 Touring, has worked perfectly. Including updates for 3 years (tied to the vehicles in-service date)

Back