2020 CX-5 mysterious battery draw

I didn’t measure the battery at the terminals because I don’t have that equipment on the road with me. I do presumably have the bad liftgate module as there would be absolutely no other reason for me to have experienced a dead battery like this.

I can only hope the car shut off power in time to prevent a full discharge; but since the problem is caused by the electrical system not doing what it is supposed to be doing in the first place, how can I be sure?
I gues it depends on which module controls the systems power? I don't know if anyone else with the bad liftgate module has measured the battery voltage after a failure.If it was only down to 10v I guess it would take less to recharge than if it were almost 0v.

I guess that jumper pack you have did the trick. A good thing to keep around.

Last edited:
Will everyone in the VIN range from SA get this issue? I mean sooner or later liftgate module needs to be replaced? My GTR is in the VIN range with just 500 kms on it. Haven't faced the issue yet but kinda scared if the battery dies in a parking lot or somewhere where getting help will take lot of time.

I think the ones reported on this forum seemed to be recently purchased vehicles.
Maybe one of those jumper packs would be a good idea?

I guess that jumper pack you have did the trick. A good thing to keep around.

Not just around, but in your vehicle if you have one that might be affected by this issue!

Far more convenient than having to find someone to jump you at 3 or 4am, and presumably safer for your vehicle and (obviously) the other guy’s you won’t need.

Packs up smaller than my old fashioned jumper cables; and also serves as a flash light / strobe and portable power pack for recharging phones and tablets ... or even running12V devices like an air pump or little vacuum.

That unit has 128000 mAh, or 12.8 Ah, a fraction of the Mazda battery. Maybe the battery wasn't too far below the threshold needed to start.
I might get one of those things.

That unit has 128000 mAh, or 12.8 Ah, a fraction of the Mazda battery. Maybe the battery wasn't too far below the threshold needed to start.
I might get one of those things.

You don’t need to use all of your car’s battery’s energy capacity to start — if you did, you’d have a dead battery after every crank.

The mAh capacity is more relevant to how many times you can recharge your iPhone with it; or how long the built-in flashlight will work.

What matters is how much instantaneous current it can provide to jump your car — in this case, a claimed peak amperage of 1200.

I don’t know what my car actually requires, but it would probably be less than 400 cranking amps. (Though whatever it is, I’d likely need more in winter).

The manual for this jump starter says it ought to be able to jump start 20 cars beginning with its lithium ion battery fully charged.

Fwiw; the manual also claims the jump starter / power brick should hold a charge for 6-12 months, but they recommend topping it off every 3 months or so.

I haven’t needed to re-jump start my car since doing it that one time after the lift-gate motor defect bit me, so I can’t verify that it’s capable of 20 jump starts on one charge. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Very impressive, 20 jumps. I wonder if they are with a discharged battery attached? As soon as you connect the jump pack the discharged battery will start sucking amps.
I know lithium batteries have a great peak 'cranking current" so I guess that's what makes them work so well for this application.
Make s me wonder why they don't use them for starting batteries instead of regular lead acid. Especially for $60!

Have a dealership appointment Wednesday afternoon and they assure me they have the replacement part in stock. 🤞🏼

I'll wait until I have a problem to give the techs time to practice on other people's CX-5s first. I chase brands that have a history of reliability specifically to avoid having to bring my vehicles to dealers where they get damaged or soiled more often than not.

You are pretty open to risk IMHO. If there is a TSB out I want mine done ASAP to avoid the issue (especially a dead battery at an inopportune moment). Seems I am ok with my '19 as I have not experienced the issue, but if mine was in range, it would be at the dealership right away for a new module.

You are pretty open to risk IMHO. If there is a TSB out I want mine done ASAP to avoid the issue (especially a dead battery at an inopportune moment). Seems I am ok with my '19 as I have not experienced the issue, but if mine was in range, it would be at the dealership right away for a new module.

I'll choose the risk of having a dead battery over the risk of cracked plastic, rattles, or scratches. If my CX-5 won't start one morning on my way to work, that'll just give me an excuse to take the Miata instead. Thank goodness for choices! :)

Since this is not a recall will the dealer preemptively replace this part if we haven't had the issue yet? My VIN falls in that range but I haven't had any battery issues (knock on wood)
[/QUOTE
Brought my car in today (9/18/20) after having to have it jumped. They found the recall for lift gate module #SSPC2 and replaced it no charge

Will everyone in the VIN range from SA get this issue? I mean sooner or later liftgate module needs to be replaced? My GTR is in the VIN range with just 500 kms on it. Haven't faced the issue yet but kinda scared if the battery dies in a parking lot or somewhere where getting help will take lot of time.
Suggest making an appointment to have the lift gate control unit changed. Their computer showed open recall.

I tested my battery the last two days like in the video. Yesterday was after sitting for 5 days. I drove for an hour after yesterday's test. My car is 6 months old with 1700 miles. I work at home full time because of Covid so don't drive it much. Anyway, results were the same both days. 12.35 volts before and after turning on the lights for 2 minutes. And when I started the car, it dipped down to 9-something. I'm going to keep a jumper in the car and will ask about the getting the fix done when I get my first oil change,probably in 6 months. Unless winter has an effect on the battery.

Are you saying that all new style (2017+) should have the new part put in their car?

If you please, could someone give the tsb number? Thank you very much.
Look at the post below which gives the VIN's affected. No it isn't all 2017 and up cars...

Back