2020 CX-5 mysterious battery draw

Wow, that seems like a really bizarre location for this part, and it's also a completely different area than the part diagram indicates. What the heck is going on with this thing? When I made the appointment to have it swapped out, the service advisor said it would take 'around 45 minutes'. Do you know what the actual working time was for your dealership to do the job on your vehicle?

I poked around at the left side trunk trim a bit, but haven't tried to remove any of it yet because I can't find anything about it in the manual (and I'm not about to break anything on a brand new vehicle by just winging it). But now it looks like maybe your information has saved me from wasting a bunch of time doing useless work, and I appreciate you taking the time to post it!

At this point I'm probably not going to do anything on my own, and just hope to get owner-friendly service guys, who don't mind answering some questions that they don't usually get asked.
I’m kicking myself for misplacing that paperwork (might have left it at the dealer with another batch regarding the window etching) but I’d say 45 minutes was about right. Maybe they would have done it in ten if the tech didn’t keep walking away every few minutes to gods knows where ... and a lot of it seemed to be dedicated to clearing all the cautions and warnings that popped up as a result of the dead battery (dealing with everything from the keyless entry system to the emergency braking systems).

There is a recall for a sensor on the tailgate hatch which does not function properly. It does not sense that the hatch is closed causing a battery drain. The sensor was replaced and now functions without incident.

Hi,
New member here looking for some insights into a mysterious electrical draw that’s causing my battery to go dead overnight on a new 2020 CX 5 Signature. It seems to happen when I pull the car into the garage at night. No lights or accessories are left on, nothing, such as charger, is plugged in and the car is turned completely off not left in accessories mode. The car has been at the dealer for a week. They couldn’t find any abnormal electrical draw and the battery was in normal condition. Apparently the 2020s have some type of wifi modem for future functionality and the service manager thought it might be seeing my house WiFi (recently installed a new / stronger house WiFi router) but they checked and the device on the CX 5 is in the correct inactive mode. They were telling me they couldn’t find anything. I pressed them to keep looking and then they found a recent service bulletin about a potential issue with a rear left gate electronic that might draw more power than normal when the car is off but they were talking miliamps and I am uncertain that extra amount is enough to drain the battery overnight. The left gate electronic part is on back order. I also asked the dealer to test parking it with objects in front and behind to assess whether the parking sensors are staying active after it’s turned off. It’s been a big downer on a new top of the line Signature we spent $40k on. Anyone heard of this type of issue and what the solution might be? Thanks guys.

There is a recall for a sensor on the tailgate hatch which does not function properly. It does not sense that the hatch is closed causing a battery drain. The sensor was replaced and now functions without incident.
Technically there’s no safety recall for this battery drained-out problem. It’s now only escalated from Service Alert SA-049/20 to Special Service Program (SSP) C2.

And the problem is from power liftgate control unit where the software logic is improper, not from the sensor hardware.

Special Service Program (SSP) C2 - 2020 CX-5 and 2020 CX-9 - Power LiftGate (PLG) Control Unit Concern

September 2020

What is the reason of this notice?
On certain subject vehicles, the Power LiftGate (PLG) Control Unit may not switch to the power saving mode even after pressing the push button start and setting the ignition to the off position, due to improper control logic of the PLG Control Unit. In this condition, if the vehicle is left unused for a certain amount of time, the battery may discharge and run out.

Service Alert No.: SA-049/20 (4/30/2020) ENGINE NO START DUE TO LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE

Service Alert No.: SA-049/20 (7/31/2020) ENGINE NO START DUE TO LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE

Special Service Program (SSP) C2 - 2020 CX-5 and 2020 CX-9 - Power LiftGate (PLG) Control Unit Concern

Any notice for Canadian cars yet?

I asked the service manager yesterday at the dealership in Toronto, he said they are aware about the issue but they don't replace the module until you experienced battery drain issue. I told him that my car's VIN is within the affected range, he just said they didn't get any "recall" from Mazda Canada

I asked the service manager yesterday at the dealership in Toronto, he said they are aware about the issue but they don't replace the module until you experienced battery drain issue. I told him that my car's VIN is within the affected range, he just said they didn't get any "recall" from Mazda Canada
Thanks for the reply. Same thing here in Calgary.

Typical car dealership and corporate support: "We know we have a problem with this part, but hey, instead of replacing it and giving you some peace of mind and a positive experience with our brand, we're just going to let you drive it until it fails, and you get stranded when you need the car the most. Call us when you're stuck."
And Mazda wants to move upscale.

You guys in Canada should keep calling Mazda Canada about the issue, and tell them there’s Special Service Program (SSP) C2 in the US! Talking to Mazda dealer is useless as they can’t help you to get PLG control unit replaced unless you have dead battery issue.

my battery died twice and I called the road assistance, they powered my car up, all good but then I have checked the voltage after 2 days not using the car, it went down to 7v... I have an appointment for the next Wednesday, hopefully, the dealer will do something about as the VIN number is on the recall list.

my battery died twice and I called the road assistance, they powered my car up, all good but then I have checked the voltage after 2 days not using the car, it went down to 7v... I have an appointment for the next Wednesday, hopefully, the dealer will do something about as the VIN number is on the recall list.
And please keep us posted!

@Buzzman12 Yeah, I am disappointed with what the service manager told me. Winter is coming and It would be frustrating to be stuck in a parking lot with a dead car.

@yrwei52 I sent email to Mazda Canada yesterday , waiting for their response.

@Buzzman12 Yeah, I am disappointed with what the service manager told me. Winter is coming and It would be frustrating to be stuck in a parking lot with a dead car.

@yrwei52 I sent email to Mazda Canada yesterday , waiting for their response.
Definitely buy and keep one of these in your car until fixed:

TACKLIFE KP120 1200A Peak Car... https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

* This unit instantly started my 100% dead 2020 CX-5 (after I pushed the boost button). There are of course others for sale.

Following one slow start one morning not long after I purchased my 2020 CX-5 in April, I haven't had a dead battery yet. The vehicle never sits more than 14 hours without being driven, so it's possible I have the issue, but drive often enough that it doesn't allow the battery to discharge too low. It's been 7 months so far and I'm hoping to make it to 12 months without having to return to a dealer for any reason during my ownership period.

For those who have experienced this issue, how long had the vehicle been sitting before it wouldn't start?

Following one slow start one morning not long after I purchased my 2020 CX-5 in April, I haven't had a dead battery yet. The vehicle never sits more than 14 hours without being driven, so it's possible I have the issue, but drive often enough that it doesn't allow the battery to discharge too low. It's been 7 months so far and I'm hoping to make it to 12 months without having to return to a dealer for any reason during my ownership period.

For those who have experienced this issue, how long had the vehicle been sitting before it wouldn't start?
I believe this battery draining problem is depending on each owner’s situation and what makes the PLG control unit not falling into the power saving mode because the software doesn’t cover that condition. If your 2020 CX-5 never sits more than 14 hours without being driven, the battery shouldn’t be drained too much to prevent the start up. But for goodedward19 his CX-5 can’t last for more than 2 days which makes me to believe his battery performance has been severely affected by the problem.

The only thing puzzles me is the PLG feature is not the first year feature from Mazda, why the software logic in PLG control unit is having problems ONLY on 2020 MY?

for now, my battery died twice and I called the road assistance, they powered my car up, all good but then I have checked the voltage after 2 days not using the car, it went down to 7v... I have an appointment for the next Wednesday, hopefully, the dealer will do something about as the VIN number is on the recall list.

The only thing puzzles me is the PLG feature is not the first year feature from Mazda, why the software logic in PLG control unit is having problems ONLY on 2020 MY?
They got a bad (defective) batch of modules from their supplier. Also effects some 2019-2020 CX-9s.
23A6CC28-8279-4D35-9577-1B8F0740A6EF.jpeg
C4F8BEDC-D7A2-47D5-B9BF-4C84F20AB549.png

They got a bad (defective) batch of modules from their supplier. Also effects some 2019-2020 CX-9s.View attachment 229032View attachment 229033
But Mazda’s SSP C2 said it’s software issue in PLG control unit. The revised PLG control unit has a white dot with updated firmware in there.

September 2020

What is the reason of this notice?
On certain subject vehicles, the Power LiftGate (PLG) Control Unit May not switch to the power saving mode even after pressing the push button start and setting the ignition to the off position, due to improper control logic of the PLG Control Unit. In this condition, if the vehicle is left unused for a certain amount of time, the battery may discharge and run out.

Friday, I made the post above.

Saturday, I changed the engine oil and engine oil filter for the first time. I inadvertently poured in 4.8 quarts instead of 4.8 liters (5.1 quarts) after not reading the specifications correctly. This caused the low oil level light to come on (boy - is that thing sensitive!). I poured in the rest of the fifth quart which turned the light off. I ordered another quart so I can pour in the remaining 3.2 ounces.

Sunday evening, I connected my BlueDriver scan tool to check for codes. None were found. The vehicle was turned off after a few minutes and not driven afterwards.

Monday morning, the battery was completely dead at just under 6,900 miles. I had got to take the Miata to work.

I don't believe the oil change was related.

It's possible the scan tool might have been somehow related (did something that didn't allow the PLG module to go to sleep).

Or, it could have just been a total coincidence and I finally won the lottery. :)

Last edited:
Saturday, I changed the engine oil and engine oil filter for the first time. I poured in 4.8 quarts instead of 4.8 liters (5.1 quarts). This caused the low oil level light to come on (boy - is that thing sensitive!). I poured in the rest of the fifth quart which turned the light off. I ordered another quart so I can pour in the remaining 3.2 ounces.
I believe you have a 2.5T with specified capacity of 5.1 quarts of oil capacity. It’d been discussed many times the specs from Mazda on approximate fluid capacities are inconsistent with real world, and oil capacities are low-balled to 0.3 ~ 0.5 quart. If we want the oil level reaching the Full / Max mark of the dipstick, we’d need 4.8 ~ 5.0 quarts for 2.0L、5.2 ~ 5.3 quarts for 2.5L、5.3 ~ 5.5 quarts for 2.5T on oil change.

Sunday evening, I connected my BlueDriver scan tool to check for codes. None were found. The vehicle was turned off after a few minutes and not driven afterwards.

Monday morning, the battery was completely dead at just under 6,900 miles. I had got to take the Miata to work.

I don't believe the oil change was related.

It's possible the scan tool might have been somehow related (did something that didn't allow the PLG module to go to sleep).

Or, it could have just been a total coincidence and I finally won the lottery. :)
It’s coincident and it’s the lottery time for you. ;)

By any chance you’d measured the voltage of dead battery?

It’d been discussed many times the specs from Mazda on approximate fluid capacities are inconsistent with real world, and oil capacities are low-balled to 0.3 ~ 0.5 quart.

I wonder if this is help ensure the crankcase doesn't become overfilled in the even of fuel dilution (if this is a concern with Mazdas as it is with some Hondas with turbocharged engines and direct injection.

By any chance you’d measured the voltage of dead battery?

I'll do that and report back.

Back